Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which choke for M3000 for 3G

igolfat8

That's a big question. It really depends on the stage (distance to targets, target types, moving targets, etc.) I find that most stages can be successfully shot with Improved Cylinder. For really close stuff, I'll open up to Cylinder, and for longer range (20+ yards on steel) I'll go as high as Improved Modified. I've never had to go any higher than that.

You can probably get away with having only 3 tubes. C, IC, and M will probably do you for 90%+ of the stages out there.

Your best bet would be to pick up some shotgun patterning targets from Midway and see what your shotgun does with your preferred shells with certain tubes at certain distances. It's a long process, but it will give you a much better idea of what your shotgun can really do for you.

Most common choke of choice for 3gun is the light-mod. Google "shotgun choke pattern chart" to see approximately what spread each choke produces. For the 3 Gun Nation burner type stages you may want a more open choke because clays only require one pellet strike and they are typically close. M3000 comes with an Improved Cylinder, Mod, and Extra-Full (turkey). Light Mod is between the first two of these. For starters, use the IC unless there are heavy steel targets beyond 15 yards in the stage, then step up to Mod. Once you have some experience running stages, you will know what your shooting abilities require.

Edited by openclassterror

My Benelli came with IC, M, IM, Full. I use IC probably 99% of the time. I'll use M if they're going to be a lot of no shoots around shoot targets though.

At SMM3G on stage 2 this year, I decided to shoot the 25 yard activater plate with AA 1250fps 7.5 with IC instead of pistol that reest of my squad did. I didn't have any issue putting it down to activate the moving paper.

Edited by DocMedic

I took Mr. Kelley's advice from the article and put a light mod in when I first started and haven't taken it out. Many thanks to Pat for the articles and the videos, really helps the guys getting started.

Thanks for the excellent info guys. Our small rural club is just starting three gun. Last summer was the first year for it. These are not sanctioned competitions like most of you shoot in but just a bunch of old timers having some safe recreational fun. They set 6 clay birds on V shaped stakes at 20 yards and that was the shot gun stage. So that is likely the distance I will be shooting starting out this spring. I just got my first AR and semi-auto scatter gun, a M&P Sport and M3000 and am patiently waiting for my MOA comp package to arrive. Sheesh, Hanging around this site is costing me some moolah ;)

On Pat's and Kurt's general advise I've went to LM as the default choke and I I'm fairly happy. It even shoots slugs really well, or at least the Briley version does.

For the most part the LM choke seems to work really well. Tight enough most all the time, but not too tight. Shoots slugs well. I carry IC, LM, M, and IM. I've never had an issue knowing down any target with an LM choke, I have had troubles with an IC or straight cylinder.

• 3 weeks later...