Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

calibration is called. when to score

Sandbagger123

At the last match a shooter shot a steel popper and asked for calibration after he finished.. i have always scored the the stage before calibration. the other RO disagreed and said to score the stage after. So which one is correct or does it matter.He said it how its done at the nationals so i did not push it.

Also, when i asked where the shooter had shot the shot at the popper he said it does not matter, and to shoot it as close to the popper as possible. i looked up the rule and it seems that i am correct. Am i?

I am assuming the popper did not fall and that he had a visible hit or the target was not getting painted.

4.3.1.2 That the calibration will be done from a point on the COF where the calibration zone is available, closest to where the contested shot was fired.

No harm in scoring the stage except having to do it again if he gets a re-shoot.

Guess they do things wrong at Nationals according to him. lol even the newest RO knows you should shoot the steel from near as possible to where the competitor shot it from. It proves nothing if you shoot it from somewhere else.

I see a few sides to the taping question. It saves time to score and tape and it keeps somebody from mistakenly taping a target thinking they have been scored. BUT you may have to score it twice which is not really a big deal . Also the more movement going on could cause something to knock the steel down by mistake.

One day during the 2014 nationals, it seems that we had at least one popper calibration call per stage! The process was the same. Better Call Troy, score and reset the stage except for the popper. One of the ROs stands by the steel so it is not disturbed. Troy comes and shoots the popper from where the shooter shot it and it falls. :(. If it makes any difference they were using Practiscore. (In St George, go figure :D )

Later,

Chuck

As far as the taping, I have always like to get it out of the way while you are waiting the 5-10 minutes for the RM/MD to show up. It's not hurting anything but like Sarge said, there is a possibility of someone hitting the referenced steel. I always ask someone to "stand guard" by the popper or I do it to keep everyone a safe distance away.

Did the CRO tell you that about shooting the popper for calibration?? If so, that's sad. The only sort of validation I can see in this is that the calibration must be done in the COF where the calibration zone is available and closest to where the competitor shot it. So if the shooter took a weird shot like ducking under hard cover for a popper that is partially hidden but the calibration zone is not available from there, then you would have to find a point where the calibration zone is available and closest to where the competitor shot it.

Also, when i asked where the shooter had shot the shot at the popper he said it does not matter, and to shoot it as close to the popper as possible. i looked up the rule and it seems that i am correct. Am i?

The other guy may be confusing the initial calibration and checking a popper that doesn't fall but he got it wrong either way.

Scoring at the end of the COF will save a lot of headaches. I've seen more shooters get reshoots because someone didn't score the stage than from the popper going down. If you do everything consistently it's easier to avoid mistakes. Off the top of my head I can't think of a situation where scoring at the end of a COF is going to be a bad call.

But I think the point of the question is to ask whether it's OK/legal to score before the calibration, not whether it's a good idea. The answer to both is "yes," and in the case of whether it's a good idea, it's a pretty emphatic yes.

Being as 9 times out of 10 the popper will fall when the RM shoots it, score the rest of the stage so that things can move along once the steel is reset.

If the steel does not fall then adjust it so that it is back in calibration and start the next shooter because everything else is already taken care of.

Either way you do not waste any extra time resetting and taping the COF.