Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Cleaning

515CUSTOMS

I just got some used mags in the mail today, and they are kind of dusty inside. Just wondering how you guys clean them and do you oil them or anything. I was just going to take them apart wipe them all down with a dry towel, and then maybe wipe them down with one of those silicone rags and then reassemble them.

I actually was going to ask this question as well. Shot my sp-01 for the first time this Saturday and mags stopped feeding because of dirt inside them. I made it all 6 stages and noticed as I loaded them up the follower wouldnt apply pressure on the top round and they started falling out if I tipped the mag upside down.

I have the 10 round mags and it was hell trying to put them back together. That retaining plate dimple wouldnt align with the base plate holes worth a darn and I had to smack the mag in my hand all diffferent angles waiting to hear the "pop" when that dimple finally jumped into its hole.

Do you guys have a trick for this?

If the retaining dimple won't pop up through the base plate, I usually push it in and let it back out (like you would when disassembling them). They usually pop straight back up when I do that

to get the dimple...

hold the magazine rounds down, by the top, and tap the baseplate lightly like a hammer. the inertia of the tap moves the plate foward and engages the nub.

Often I could just smack the magazine into my palm and have the baseplate pop back in.

This issue seems to happen most often with the 16-round baseplates. I swapped mine for the 18-round baseplates, and they pop on easily.

I clean my CZ mags every time they touch the ground. After a few hundred disassembly/re-assembly cycles you get pretty proficient.

The inside of the tube get's a few strokes with the mag brush, followers also get brushed and the springs and base plates are brushed as needed. I wipe the outside of tubes with a towel before they go into the belt.

For deep cleaning I use a rag and some all purpose cleaner. It's amazing how much dirt builds up on the mags I use for matches. Everything gets scrubbed, then dried and a final rub with a silicone impregnated gun cleaning cloth. Deep cleaning only happens a couple times each year and whenever it's time to change the springs.

Break those mags down and give them a good cleaning.

I use brake cleaner on the inside of the mag body and then run an Arredondo brush through them a few times. Those that live in humid areas may want to lightly run a silicone impregnated rag over the bodies to prevent rust after that.