Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started in 40

jtaylor996

Just grabbed a trade in SVI, now I need to feed it!

Can y'all help me with a quick start on 40cal?

Any brass I should avoid? I've heard glock'd 40 brass may not be good...

What are the cheap competition bullets I can go buy now?

Any decent powders available for 40? (I've got like 1.5# of titegroup from loading 9mm, but I can't replace it once it's gone).

I use a Lee U die. Haven't had any issues with brass although I've only fired about 400 rounds through my 2011. I know guys use titegroup for 40. I use WST. It was available and it works! Bullets I can't help you on cause I cast and coat my own.

Yes I would definitely suggest the Lee U die and the Dillon Carbide for the rest of them. I use once fired Glock brass exclusively and have for years with no issues. I've only used Clays and N320.

I had good luck with the Bayou bullets.

I use Clays powder (3.0 to 3.5 grains, depending mostly on the overall cartridge length) with 180 grain coated bullets for minor power factor and WST powder (4.7 to 5.0 grains, depending again on O.A.L.) with 180 grain coated bullets for major power factor.

Yeah, the powder supply is a vacuum.

I have run Glocked brass through Dillon dies in a Tanfoglio w/o any problems, YMMV. The later Glocks are supposed to have better feed ramp/chamber support in that area; but I'm not a high speed/low drag competitor.

Finally, I have learned something the last six years or so; buy primers when they are available and buy powder when its available. Sorry that this advice doesn't help in the short term.

If you have 1.5# titegroup, you're set for a little while--it'll get you started. I like bayou bullets or Blue bullets--coated lead bullets that shoot quite cleanly with titegroup.

Get the Lee U die and you can shoot glocked brass with no problems.

I like 4.3 gr titegroup 1.155 oal in my glock--you can probably load longer in your gun. That's 175 pf in my gun. 180 grain bullets.

Blue bullets and Bayou bullets are cheap and you can buy sample packs.

Edited by DoBell

I've got a LnL press, and usually use the Hornady dies. These no good for 40 or something?

I usually use Honady FL sizer, powderfunnel to bell and charge, RCBS lock-out, hornady seat die, and then a lee FCD to finalize the crimp.

I use the hornady custom dies for 40, I like them better then the rcbs's I have. I only shoot a glock so I can't speak for how it resizes for SVI.

I 2nd whoever mentioned bayou bullets. I've been running them in my glock aftermarket barrel and even the factory barrel with great results.

So I ordered the following:

Lee U sizer

Existing powderfunnel universal PTX to bell/charge

Redding micro adjustable Seat

Lee factory crimp

I've got some roll sized brass coming in, and some BBI 180gr bullets to get me started. I suppose I'll use up some of my precious titegroup for the first few hundred.

Man I love titegroup. I've yet to add a pistol caliber that titegroup isn't great for (so far 9/38spl/357mag/40). Shame it's so scarce!

One of the good things about WST is that when you're carrying an eight pound jug of it through the mall on the way to your car, the women are always impressed when they read the label because it says Winchester Ball Powder and they see how much you need. Sorry, I'll be quiet now.

• 3 months later...

I've got a LnL press, and usually use the Hornady dies. These no good for 40 or something?

I usually use Honady FL sizer, powderfunnel to bell and charge, RCBS lock-out, hornady seat die, and then a lee FCD to finalize the crimp.

I use a Hornady sizing die and taper crimp die for .40. Works great.

I'm using the precision coated bullets. Work great in my Akai and Dillion press. The 185 are running 84.40 per 1000 shipped. using titegroup but switching to E3 now that I found some.

That's a really good deal. My last buy was 1700 of the blue 180s for $160.

I never found a magic titegroup load for major, but I found a fantastic one for minor.

I've been stocking up on powders, and I'm trying n320 next.

I also have some others to try:

Ramshot Competition

WST

CFE Pistol

DVC Ltd

N320 Xtreme 180 gr, Flat Point / Heavy Plate

5.1 grs, 1.175 oal

941 fps avg 17.4 sd ~169pf

TGrp Xtreme 180 gr, Flat Point / Heavy Plate

5.0 grs, 1.175 oal

950 fps avg 14.0 sd ~171pf

Well, I loaded from 4.2 - 4.8. I guess I should be going higher to make PF, though. I hadn't seen any major load data for very long OAL like I'm using... which is why I may end up being short. I'm planning on loading tonight, and hopefully testing this weekend.