Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major loads with autocomp

chase214

I'm looking for load data for 9mm 2011 open pistol using autocomp. Iv read that some people use small rifle primers in their 9 major loads what does that do for the loads. I understand pistols differ in barrel length,comps ect I'm just want a good starting point

Small rifle primers withstand the high pressures better.

I have loaded MG 121's with 7.4 WAC @1.168 for 174 PF and MG 115 JHP with 7.8 same oal and got same PF

Both loads out of Cheely 5" Open w/ no holes

The rifle primers burn a little hotter to help with burning and they are a little tougher to withstand higher pressures. I have used SPP for years now without issue so I don't see a need for it. Also, there was some info floating around one time about that the rifle primers were causing premature breach face erosion but that was never confirmed I don't think.

My load is 8.3 HS6, MG 124 JHP, CCI SPP, mixed brass, OAL - 1.150, 172 PF out of a KKM 5.4" barrel with a CFD comp in a 2011 platform. Sorry, just remember you said WAC. I used 7.6 of WAC for 170 PF in a Trubore, didn't run it in my current setup.

Edited by gng4life

The rifle primers burn a little hotter to help with burning and they are a little tougher to withstand higher pressures. I have used SPP for years now without issue so I don't see a need for it. Also, there was some info floating around one time about that the rifle primers were causing premature breach face erosion but that was never confirmed I don't think.

My load is 8.3 HS6, MG 124 JHP, CCI SPP, mixed brass, OAL - 1.150, 172 PF out of a KKM 5.4" barrel with a CFD comp in a 2011 platform. Sorry, just remember you said WAC. I used 7.6 of WAC for 170 PF in a Trubore, didn't run it in my current setup.

I saw the breech face erosion in a friends major 9 open gun. He went back to SPP and all was well. I don't remember what powder he was using but he was clocking in the low 170's.

Later,

Chuck

Would I need to bump up the powder if I have holes in the barrel and a comp

More than likely, yes. I stopped putting holes in mine since I had to bump the powder up from .2-.5 to get the same PF. It all depends on your barrels, size of holes, how many, etc. Always START LOW and work up slow using a chrono - watch for pressure signs. Do not use the exact recipes we list since every barrel and setup is different.

Somebody mentioned Small Rifle Primers burn hotter than Small Pistol Primers. This is not the case. Small Rifle primers have a thicker cup (able to withstand more pressure), but the compound/ amount of compound used is identical to Small Pistol Primers.

Don't believe me? Check with Guy Neill who writes a reloading column in USPSA's Front Sight magazine.

I just got a new to me Open gun, so had to load up some major ammo. Gun is an older STI TruBore with a shorter comp than what's used now.

Came up with:

124 MG JHP

7.0 of Auto Comp

1.165 oal.

170pf at 40 degrees outside.

Not sure what this powder does with changing temperatures.

I don't wanna sound like an idiot but I'm gonna be seating the bullet on the powder correct(compressed load)

Probably not AC doesn't take up much room in the case.I run 7.8 with a 115 and it's not down to the powder yet at 1.168

To check if a compression load

take a fired case with a fired primer still in, drop powder load into case, hand fit a new bullet, fired case should allow a loose slip fit on the bullet,

measure oal with bullet compressing powder, compare oal to your load specs oal.

I don't wanna sound like an idiot but I'm gonna be seating the bullet on the powder correct(compressed load)

Compressed loads aren't necessarily anything to be scared of as long as you are using a proven powder and have a clue to what you are doing. I'm not sure if my AC load was compressed or not, but it is certainly close. Compressed loads aren't uncommon at all in rifles.

• 1 month later...

Would I need to bump up the powder if I have holes in the barrel and a comp

More than likely, yes. I stopped putting holes in mine since I had to bump the powder up from .2-.5 to get the same PF. It all depends on your barrels, size of holes, how many, etc. Always START LOW and work up slow using a chrono - watch for pressure signs. Do not use the exact recipes we list since every barrel and setup is different.

Just chronoed my loads in my new CK Arms gun last Saturday. 124gr MG CMJ, 7.2 gr WAC, 1.170 OAL, SRP.

In my old gun, (Schumann barrel, 6 port comp), I was getting 172-173 PF.

In the new gun, (KKM barrel, Cheely 4 port comp, 3 popple holes), it seems to be making the same numbers. I was consistently in the 1390-1400fps range, I was rather surprised myself, since I was expecting to need more powder.

Bottom line, you pretty much need to do the chrono work.