Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Please! Noob Here!

DJNKY49

Hey Everyone,

My son just started shooting open. We have an Open Glock build from Carver Custom. Glock 17, Gen4, Lightened Slide, 3 Port Comp, 11lb ReCoil Spring. (Set up for Minor currently...)

I need some help on how you would load your Ammo for 9mm MINOR -and- 9mm MAJOR.

He seems to have the gun running somewhat consistant... But the rounds don't seem to be ejecting as they should. (They're kind of just plopping out, and sometimes get caught between the ejection port and the SJC CMore Mount)

Any assistance would be great!

Thanks so much!

-Deven & Josh.

What bullets, oal, powder are you using? Are you chronographing your loads?

+1. Need some more info.

I'm not sure what you mean load for 9mm minor and major?

Are you trying to load for minor or major? or both? why?

Not sure you can load for both in same gun, very easily.

I'd say you are overspringed or under powered???

Cases getting stuck could also be a magazine problem?

Kwontanamo

We have the lightest recoil spring provided in the gun. It's an 11lb. You can see the rounds are barely making it out of the ejection port.

himurax13

We are using factory 115gr Aguilla 9mm Ammunition. We have yet to Chrono.

Hi-Power Jack

The gun can be set up for Minor and Major. We were provided with the hardware to run both set ups. Reasons behind this, I didn't want to throw my 12yr. old into a Race Gun with Major loads right away. I want to see how the gun reacts to Minor Loads first, and see how he feels. However, if the Minor loads still do not allow the gun to function properly, then we will make the move to Major.

Regarding your "over springed, under powered" comment... That's what a few people said at the match. Factory Loads + Compensator = Weakend Power of the Factory Loads.

Cases getting stuck are just the slide not having enough power to kick them out correctly.

I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE EVERYONES INPUT!

I suspect you need more powder. If you are making power factor then you might need a lighter spring or a slower appropriate powder. If you recall in many loading books there are warnings about using too fast of powder in plastic pistols, its safe, but they might not cycle,With this said, you might need a slower powder. I suspect that your chamber is on the tight side and this combined with a light load and marginally strong springs are giving you the trouble. I suspect the gun was set up to run 9mm major from the get go.

I am not sure if they make anything less than a 10 lb spring for the Glocks. When you start putting comps on the barrel, it changes the dynamics and issues stop popping up like this. I'm working on an M&P Open gun now and I'm starting have problems like this also.

If you reload, load up some higher PF rounds. If you don't, you want to try different brands of ammo to see which one functions best and try the 10 lb spring. I am assuming it's the upright SJC mount, right? The 90 degree mount would probably eliminate some of the issues you are seeing but you still need better ejection. Are you using any heavy grease on the slide or barrel/comp areas? Does the slide reciprocate without a lot of resistance? Have you contacted Bobby yet?

Hi-Power Jack

The 11lb is the lowest I have. I don't think there is one less recommended for a Race Gun. And I do not reload at the moment. I am using factory Ammo.

gng4life

I do have the upright SJC mount. Not my preference. The gun was built for my son. Currently we're going to try a few different Minor loads and see how those react compared to the factory ammo. I shot 1200 rounds through it and my son shot a match with it successfully... Only 2 jams. But the concern was the rounds weren't ejecting properly. Quite a few people that were there said to start with the higher PF minor loads, and go from there.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Don't be afraid to use an 8# spring with factory ammo, or even a 6# if it will consistently strip the next round, factory 115gr loads are not going to hurt anything. I used an 8# spring with 9 major guns over 170pf; you need drastically lower spring weights when using a comp because the comp holds the action locked for longer, dissipating more energy which would otherwise be used to cycle the slide.

Edit to add: if you're not hand loading your own ammo, you might do better to skip the comp, do you still have a non comp'ed barrel?

Edited by kneelingatlas

kneelingatlas

If it comes to that, I will... For the time being, I don't want to start ripping the gun apart before I start with the simplest step; which is the ammunition.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Somehow I doubt any factory ammo, under a PF of 140, will properly cycle your gun as long as the comps are installed. My Glock 19C was running 85 FPS less than my Glock 17 with the same load. If you remove your comps, then your recoil spring will probably be too heavy.

The whole point of the comp is to have a flat shooting gun that feels like you are shooting .22LR while making major PF.

If you are not making your own ammo or having someone make it for you, I don't see how this setup will serve your purpose well.

Edited by himurax13

Carver 3 port should cycle regular ammo with an 11 lb spring. I used one for minor and maj. I had a 22-9 conversion barrel. Good comp. Neto works. So does some nice +p load works nice too.if you are confident in reloading the 9 major loads with that set up shot softer then (most) factory loads. I used VV 3n38 and 124g Xtreme bullets worked well. I was around 8g. I don't recall my OAL. Winchester autocomp and 800x worked nicely too. (800x keep an eye on doesn't like to meeter) who built the gun? I imagine they could give you some nice load data. I'll post a link to my data n a bit

I have the same gun from Bobby. 11# spring with a 5# striker spring on a Zev lightened SS striker. Went to the heavier striker spring due to it not hitting some harder primers and lighting them off.

I am loading 115 gr Extreme Plated bullets @ 1.13 with 4.1grs of Titegroup for minor with CCI or Winchester SPP. I only shoot minor in 3-gun and USPSA. this is the best load that I have found so far to keep it flat and soft. If I remember the chrono it was around 1050-1070fps. I have had no problems with it ejecting shells either my loads or factory. Gun runs like a top.

Best factory load has been the 115gr Blazer CCI brass rounds.

gerritm

One other thing I forgot. My gun is a Gen 4 and I run an un-captured 11# Wolf spring on a SS guide rod with a bushing. All from Bobby's website. I tried the ISMI flat captured springs and did not like the way they shot.

gerritm

Carver 3 port should cycle regular ammo with an 11 lb spring. I used one for minor and maj. I had a 22-9 conversion barrel. Good comp. Neto works. So does some nice +p load works nice too.if you are confident in reloading the 9 major loads with that set up shot softer then (most) factory loads. I used VV 3n38 and 124g Xtreme bullets worked well. I was around 8g. I don't recall my OAL. Winchester autocomp and 800x worked nicely too. (800x keep an eye on doesn't like to meeter) who built the gun? I imagine they could give you some nice load data. I'll post a link to my data n a bit

That's right, the comp is at the end of the barrel.