Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on SP-01 and SSP/ESP

Malarkey

My SP01 Shadow with the extended thumb safeties, original style 85 combat trigger, stock rubber grips, CGW stainless guide rod, CZC stainless steel mag brake, CZC Competition hammer, CGW Disconnector, CGW extended firing pin, CZC Competition sights, extended mag release, and 16 round mags with rubber basepads weighs just a hair over 42 ounces. It is legal for SSP and production.

Edited by himurax13

Accu-Shadow and Shadow-Targets are not legal for SSP. ACCU because of the slide was machined for the bushing by a non CZ-UB, and ditto for the Shadow-Target because a non CZ-UB machined the slide for the LPA adjustable rear sight.

However any of the CZ-75 Shadows (no rail) with sights using the stock dovetail is legal, as are any of the CZ-75 SP-01 Shadows with sights that use the stock dovetail.

Is the Accu-Shadow ESP legal?

Not the SP01 flavor.

The SP01/Shadow must be able to qualify in SSP first in order to play in ESP due to the full length steel dustcover. SInce the Acu Shadow bushing was not installed by the factory, it would be considered an external modification and cannot play in SSP which in turn prevents it from being used in ESP.

If you had the Acu Shadow Lite, or a CTS Longslide Acu Shadow that was built on the 75SA frame (without a full length steel dustcover) then you could use them for ESP.

Edited by himurax13

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Accu-Shadow ESP legal?

The Accu-Shadow lite is esp legal. But the Accu with the full rail is not because of the rail with the barrel bushing.

ESP actually doesn't allow full length dust covers (still). For an SP01 to be run in ESP, it has to satisfy all of the requirements for SSP, which means no mag well and if it had slide machinging it's not SSP legal...

• 1 month later...

My SP01 Shadow with the extended thumb safeties, original style 85 combat trigger, stock rubber grips, CGW stainless guide rod, CZC stainless steel mag brake, CZC Competition hammer, CGW Disconnector, CGW extended firing pin, CZC Competition sights, extended mag release, and 16 round mags with rubber basepads weighs just a hair over 42 ounces. It is legal for SSP and production.

It's my understanding that the uspsa shadow weight is 39oz so at 42 with all the extras you've added is over the legal 2oz extra for the production division. Please let me know if I have missed something

It's my understanding that the uspsa shadow weight is 39oz so at 42 with all the extras you've added is over the legal 2oz extra for the production division. Please let me know if I have missed something

I guess you havent read the new IDPA rule book. It has been in effect since March. There are quite a few changes, the flat foot reloading is one of them.

Edited by himurax13

Sorry but I'm new to uspsa and the only rule book I see is from fed 2014 which states in appendix E that a production gun can weight up to 2oz over approved weight. Can you please point me to this new rule you speak of. U would love to be able to add more weight to my gun.

Sorry but I'm new to uspsa and the only rule book I see is from fed 2014 which states in appendix E that a production gun can weight up to 2oz over approved weight. Can you please point me to this new rule you speak of. U would love to be able to add more weight to my gun.

I believe the SP01 Shadow is (1180g) 41.6 ounces stock. So there is a 2 ounce leeway from there.

I believe the standard SP01 is listed at 2.4 lbs. If that is the weight without the mag, that would make sense. A standard Sp01 should weigh around 39 ounces without a mag.

818f41a191e402b504d8d62c0456e648.jpg

Edited by himurax13

I realize what the website says as far as weight but the irrelevant. The approved gun and offical stock weight is listed on the uspsa approved gun list and the shadow duo is listed as 39oz. Therefore 41oz is the max allowable weight.

I believe the SP01 Shadow is (1180g) 41.6 ounces stock. So there is a 2 ounce leeway from there.

I believe the standard SP01 Shadow is listed at 2.4 lbs. If that is the weight without the mag, that would make sense. A standard Sp01 should weigh around 39 ounces without a mag.

818f41a191e402b504d8d62c0456e648.jpg

I would also assume the published weight included empty mag.

Considering that a bone stock SP01 weighs slightly more than 41 ounces with a magazine, I would say that is incorrect.

The only way to get an SP01 to 39 ounces is to use plastic grips, plastic guide rod, RAMI safeties, and maybe the crappy 10 round mag with the long plastic bottom. Even then it will be close. The stock rubber grips are the heaviest ones that you can run in SSP/Production.

However, I am talking about a Shadow so the 2.4 lb listing doesn't apply.

Edited by himurax13