Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on SP-01 and SSP/ESP

Malarkey

Shooting my SP-01 Shadow in SSP/ESP the last few months. ESP manly because I have aftermarket grips on it.

Only thing I dont really understand is if I can start hammer forward in ESP. Since its my production gun I rather keep the 'make ready' procedure the same.

Yes, no one will force you to start cocked and locked in ESP if you'd rather start hammer down like in SSP or Production.

Just easier that way. I've found I'm used to staging the trigger, and had a AD into a target (It was a A zone hit!) because I was trying to take up the slack, but with the hammer back there was barely any room for it to move. Hammer forward is the way to go in my mind.

Yes, no one will force you to start cocked and locked in ESP if you'd rather start hammer down like in SSP or Production.

Just easier that way. I've found I'm used to staging the trigger, and had a AD into a target (It was a A zone hit!) because I was trying to take up the slack, but with the hammer back there was barely any room for it to move. Hammer forward is the way to go in my mind.

Get some dry fire practice in. Starting hammer down because you lack trigger discipline isn't a good reason. In a short while you'll build up your confidence. Don't let one AD discourage you.

Sorry but I'm new to uspsa and the only rule book I see is from fed 2014 which states in appendix E that a production gun can weight up to 2oz over approved weight. Can you please point me to this new rule you speak of. U would love to be able to add more weight to my gun.

I believe the SP01 Shadow is (1180g) 41.6 ounces stock. So there is a 2 ounce leeway from there.

I believe the standard SP01 Shadow is listed at 2.4 lbs. If that is the weight without the mag, that would make sense. A standard Sp01 should weigh around 39 ounces without a mag.

818f41a191e402b504d8d62c0456e648.jpg

I would also assume the published weight included empty mag.

Considering that a bone stock SP01 weighs slightly more than 41 ounces with a magazine, I would say that is incorrect.

The only way to get an SP01 to 39 ounces is to use plastic grips, plastic guide rod, RAMI safeties, and maybe the crappy 10 round mag with the long plastic bottom. Even then it will be close. The stock rubber grips are the heaviest ones that you can run in SSP/Production.

However, I am talking about a Shadow so the 2.4 lb listing doesn't apply.

Why are you trying to get to 39 ounces? Trying to relive 2013?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Shooting my SP-01 Shadow in SSP/ESP the last few months. ESP manly because I have aftermarket grips on it.

Aftermarket grips most definitely NOT force you into ESP.

If that's your interpretation of the rules, it's incorrect. If someone else told you so, ignore him.

• 5 weeks later...

I have an accu for production and a 75 shadow (short dustcover) for IDPA ESP. I wonder if running my slide from the SP-01 accu on the 75 lower would be ESP legal. Probably not because it is roll marked "SP-01".

Edited by MMC