Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231 for 10mm

spitboy

You might try a top endish .40 S&W load from Hodgdon's reloading data website. You'll never get true 10mm performance from W231 powder because its too fast, but for practice or competition it should work fine. I don't know how much dirt, soot, etc. you'll have though.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, W-231 worked better than anything else that I tried in .45 ACP, but it sucked (was very dirty) in .38 Special and .357 Mag.

You might try a top endish .40 S&W load from Hodgdon's reloading data website. You'll never get true 10mm performance from W231 powder because its too fast, but for practice or competition it should work fine. I don't know how much dirt, soot, etc. you'll have though.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, W-231 worked better than anything else that I tried in .45 ACP, but it sucked (was very dirty) in .38 Special and .357 Mag.

thanks...wish i could find more blue dot....someday

What weight bullet?

For 165gn jacketed and 231/HP38: almost no data. One manual--start 6.3gn and MAX 7.0gn.

For 180gn jacketed and 231/HP38: start loads range from 5.1-5.9gn and MAX loads range from 5.8-6.7gn.

For 200gn Jacketd and 231/HP38: start loads range from 4.6-5.6gn and MAX loads range from 5.6-6.5gn.

I always start at the lowest start load I can find.

What weight bullet?

For 165gn jacketed and 231/HP38: almost no data. One manual--start 6.3gn and MAX 7.0gn.

For 180gn jacketed and 231/HP38: start loads range from 5.1-5.9gn and MAX loads range from 5.8-6.7gn.

For 200gn Jacketd and 231/HP38: start loads range from 4.6-5.6gn and MAX loads range from 5.6-6.5gn.

I always start at the lowest start load I can find.

I'm running 155 montana gold...I just got a Thureon defense carbine in 10mm. Want to get that rockin

155gn jacketed bullet and 231/HP38: 6.5-7.0gn start, 7.3-7.7gn MAX. I always start at lowest starting load.

Need a slower powder to "get it rockin."

Edited by noylj

155gn jacketed bullet and 231/HP38: 6.5-7.0gn start, 7.3-7.7gn MAX. I always start at lowest starting load.

Need a slower powder to "get it rockin."

like blue dot? or what you recommend for a slow powder?

Blue Dot, AA7, and AA9 are excellent choices (I find AA7 to produce about the same velocities in a handgun as AA9, but AA9 might be better for a longer barrel). Other options, if you can find load data, are LongShot, 2400, Enforcer, N110, 296/H110, and Li'l Gun.

Blue Dot, AA7, and AA9 are excellent choices (I find AA7 to produce about the same velocities in a handgun as AA9, but AA9 might be better for a longer barrel). Other options, if you can find load data, are LongShot, 2400, Enforcer, N110, 296/H110, and Li'l Gun.

I may be able to get some AA9...how well does it meter??

• 1 month later...

AA#7 meters like sand and can be a problem for Dillons. I had to get an oversized spacer to stop the leaks. After about 25 rounds I was losing functional motion in the powder assembly and was down a whole grain of charge weight. The powder had completely surrounded the powder bar and spacer and jammed up the works. The good people at Dillon took care of it at no charge. God Bless them! I loaded 200 rounds straight before getting bored of waiting for a failure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

i use 231 5gr. in my 45 for years, not beating my gun to death. Functions well and im just shooting paper. Same with my 10mm loads 180 gr. bullets. semi wad cutters lead. i know u can use alot of different loads of powder but this doesnt lead up my barrel as much. just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

I collect load data and have for dozens of years. Considering that the powder makers are VERY diligent about maintaining consistent burn rates over lot numbers, I can only assume that attorneys have influenced the publication of many of the more anemic loads published nowadays. 

IMO, collecting hard copy load data is a GREAT way of finding safe workable loads in your gun for your location.