Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Benelli Rockcastle Tactical Shotgun Match

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to Outlaw proponent Kurt? JK :)

A "true" IPSC sanctioned match need only recognize one Division by the way. 6.2.1

Edited by MarkCO

Looks like we may be slogging through the mud Friday - should be fun!

How's the drainage at the Rock?

I think you'll be OK.

There is more gravel on the pistol bays that last time I was here and some of the other area have a nice stand of grass in the shooting areas.

Doe Valley should be a real mud pit.

I packed my Joe Guthrie authorized cleats and ski gators for it.

I ROed the Blue Ridge 3gun last fall in Doe Valley, THAT WAS A MUD PIT! 3 days of mud!

Best run with style was Travis Gibson in his muck boots. I didn't think it was humanly possible to run that fast with muck rubber boots.

What talk talking about? Weather is looking great for Friday/Saturday.

Yes, but ROs thanks for shooting in the rain :-)

Agreed! I like happy ROs.

Let's see...it is raining all day today.. So if it stops this afternoon it should be good and dry....by Pro-am.

Isn't it hilly there? The water should head downhill??? Think I should bring my muck boots?

Yes, the ROs got in a few stages when it was not raining, but mostly shot in wet conditions with some downpours where seeing the targets was rough.

Huge thanks to the ROs!

Congrats to everyone who came and shot the match. Thanks to FNH for the targets, the staff for the work and Rockcastle for the great hospitality and venue. The A Gun & A Girl ladies were a blast, they had fun learning a lot.

Thanks to Rockcastle for another great weekend of shooting.

Thanks to Benelli and the sponsors for an HUGE prize table. Shotgun matches historically had 1-2 guns and some other stuff. This table was a testament to the fact that the manufacturers are getting behind the action shot gunning sports. I'm really excited to see that growth!

Thanks to Mark, Linda, the staff and the excellent RO crew for the countless hours of work that is required to make a match run this well. It exceeded my expectations on organization and professionalism.

Good luck to the men, woman and children headed off to world shoot. I'm betting they can bring home the woman's standard, junior standard and manual world titles.

I wouldn't be me if I didn't offer some constructive criticism. Too many 8-9 round IPSC stages are boring compared to the fun run/gun shotgun shooting we are used to here in the USA.

IPSC scoring of A, B, C, D of slugs and buck on paper as compared to our outlaw 3-gun neutralized/not neutralized isn't as much fun. Furthermore, I think the 10 point penalty and lack of 5 scoring points for a miss is too harsh. The hits or more importantly lack of misses on the slug paper decided this match.

I have come to the conclusion that a 50 round shotgun stage isn't fun especially if you have mixed ammo like slugs and/or buck. I saw more people including myself run out of ammo on that stage and walk off of it with a look of frustration then any other stage in the match. Well except maybe stage 7 with the 22 slugs. You can't reduce the value of a stage simply because it is big. If you don't want the value of a stage to dwarf the other stages reduce the size of the stage and number of targets not devalue the stage. Had the 50 round stage been worth 250 rather than only 125 points Rob Romero would have won by a 40+ match points. Instead he finished second by 6 points.

Thanks again to everyone. I definitely will be back at this match next year. I needs me a Pump trophy to go with my Open and Outlaw trophies.

0133D707-3A1E-4FF4-8B27-68FEAD696AE9_zps

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Was a fun match. Great ROs and nice weather. I always enjoy the intellectual conversations had on the porch of the lodge after a few drinks.

Jesse, I had not even thought about the 50 Rd stage being devalued by 50%. I guess some of the pistol bay stages were actually worth more, only shooting bird shot.

Edited by Lead-Head

Was a fun match. Great ROs and nice weather. I always enjoy the intellectual conversations had on the porch if the lodge after a few drinks.

Jesse, I had not even thought about the 50 Rd stage being devalued by 50%. I guess some of the pistol bay stages were actually worth more, only shooting bird shot.

Yeah the two high round count stages in the pistol bays were over 125 but we're not nearly as hard.

This all buckshot stage was awesome! My favorite of the match. I think I could handle a 30 round buckshot only jungle run someday. Those big ass steal plates are so much fun to shoot especially when running!

http://youtu.be/NajwVwru93w