Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Benelli Rockcastle Tactical Shotgun Match

For those of you who actually shot the match, did you like having the slugs in an area and the buck in an area and the birdshot in an area?

As my squad's token amateur, it was very new - guy friendly, and helped avoid the gotcha/DQ factor. That said, some select load or candy - cane loads would be fun but very challenging for some of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had 4 squads of A Gun & A Girl shoot this match. They got coaching from Jacob Betsworth, Lance Dingler, Ryan Muller and Mark Roth on Thursday, then each of them had another top level shooter added who then coached these ladies during the match. Some of the experienced shooters were a bit nervous, but they ended up telling me that it was a great experience for them and they enjoyed it. Many of these ladies were shooting their first major, and to take on an all shotgun, IPSC rules, challenging stages match as your first...well I too was impressed with them.

Thanks to Benelli and Rockcastle for taking the chance and in turn introducing a new crop of shooters to competitive practical shooting. Well done all.

For those of you who actually shot the match, did you like having the slugs in an area and the buck in an area and the birdshot in an area?

Yes very much so. That was well done. I didn't have to haul all my stuff the entire match.

There were some folks who candy-cane loaded on the 50 round stage...I think it bit most of them though.

I started with 3 slugs in the back with 6 shot out front. I loaded 4 shot off the start. I typically don't plan to load any extra rounds in my gun until I I miss but I loaded extra slugs and buck due to the high cost of missing a target. The candy cane load just gave me extra slugs no savings on time really.

Yes, very nice. Easy on logistics and also lets the shooter get into a groove with the specialty ammo.

I really liked that part. Made things simple when going to an area and knowing to just grab the 80rd box of fiocchi buck shot to shoot all 4 stages in that area.

I'm hoping to see this match run under outlaw type rules and full of all actual stages that aren't hampered by IPSC rules. I've seen what you've been able to accomplish with the multigun match in Byers, CO and would love stages like those for a shotgun match. The 6-8 round stages with option 1, 2, or 3 made it slightly less fun than the 9-22 round stages. I prefer either starting with the gun hot or the gun empty.....option 2 made little sense to me where the chamber is empty and my hand is on or near the bolt handle.

I'll be watching close to see what plans are for next year.

Side note: it was a pleasure squaring with the ladies from A Girl And A Gun. I had a shooter come up and congratulate me on my finish and said it was really impressive since I wasn't with the "Super Squad"....I don't know that I would have shot or placed much different, but I can't imagine I'd have had any more fun than what I did with those ladies.

Having shot a little bit of IPSC Shotgun I'd have to say that the above statement about stages being "hampered" by IPSC rules is not exactly how I would characterize it. Some shooters are better at speed shoots, some at slug stages, some at long field courses and some at the medium 9-22 rounds mentioned by Nuts. Who is the best shooter? The IPSC ratio of short/medium/long stages is an attempt to balance stage design so that roughly the same number of points are available on each type of stage.

I really liked the zones divided by ammo type.

Agreed:

Having shot a little bit of IPSC Shotgun I'd have to say that the above statement about stages being "hampered" by IPSC rules is not exactly how I would characterize it. Some shooters are better at speed shoots, some at slug stages, some at long field courses and some at the medium 9-22 rounds mentioned by Nuts. Who is the best shooter? The IPSC ratio of short/medium/long stages is an attempt to balance stage design so that roughly the same number of points are available on each type of stage.

I really liked the zones divided by ammo type.

I'd like to send out a few thanks. Benelli, Rockcastle Shooting Center,Fiocchi Ammunition 5.11 Tactical and Carbon Arms Corp provided clothing, room & board, SWAG, and prizes to the staff at the Benelli Rockcastle Shotgun Championship this past weekend. It really helps when companies help support the staff. A happy staff makes for a great match. When we ask them to shoot 14 stages of shotgun in one day, in the rain, the support makes the smiles come a little easier. Thanks to all of the staff for making my job easier by being professional and allowing everyone else to play while you worked for them.

Say, would the IPSC rules require the shotgun to be shouldered when engaging targets? I have really been wondering whether I could have just hip-shot that first big buckshot plate from the ready position on Stage 4...

• 3 weeks later...