Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Benelli Rockcastle Tactical Shotgun Match

Cool. We don't use much buckshot in matches out here (I bought 20 boxes of Winchester 9 pellet Ranger in 2012 and still haven't used all of it). I was wondering if there was a safety issue or something. I think I used three boxes at the 2013 Rockastle Benelli, two boxes in a local match in 2014 and one box at this years Bushmaster Tarheel, so six boxes in three years.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct 7.62mm. However, I am not going to necessarily use the maximums on the slug and buck and keep those to 50 rounds required in the match, 8 or each on the big mixed stage.

So you might have 3 buck stages with 8, 12 and 22 rounds for instance.

50 00 Buckshot, 50 Slugs, 170 Birdshot.

Ok...thanks for the clarification!

Trying to make sure I don't break this rule by accident - I have a ton of Federal buckshot. Some boxes say "flight control" and some don't, but other than that they look identical. As long as I bring the boxes that don't specifically say "flight control" I'm OK? Or is Federal Copper Plated buckshot known to be a "flight control" brand?

Mark or anyone,

What are the issues with flight control wad buckshot?

Just not allowed under the ruleset we are using.

Matt, I tend to play it safe when it comes to rules that can get you dq'ed. That rule would be enough to keep me from using any Federal buckshot in a match that didn't allow it. Round count is low enough, and buckshot cheap, enough that I would just buy Remington or Winchester.

Some federal buckshot that has flight control wad, Has no indication on the exterior of the shell anywhere. I have some , bought from a major retailer. It is awesomeness..

I will have to test a few brands with regular wad to figure out what to use at this match...wal mart here I come.

FWIW, the Fiocchi reduced recoil 8 (I think) pellet 00 buck has served me well in my Benelli M2. The reason I know this is because I can hardly ever find Fed Flitecontrol in stock, so I just don't shoot it. :)

Hey Mark, is Rockcastle going to have Gamaliel on site for our shotshell buying needs?

Matt, I tend to play it safe when it comes to rules that can get you dq'ed. That rule would be enough to keep me from using any Federal buckshot in a match that didn't allow it. Round count is low enough, and buckshot cheap, enough that I would just buy Remington or Winchester.

Thanks - more dumb questions then: I've never shot buckshot at a 3-gun match before. What kind of targets should I expect? Are we talking hostage targets with a no-shoot covering most of it so I really have to know my patterns? Or are we talking farther distance paper where you have to get so many pellets in the a-zone to score? Or something else I'm not thinking about at all???

One more dumb question - this is my first major and I'm trying to understand all the rules up front. How can you have an 8rd max on a stage with 12 scoring hits? Are two targets with a single shot possible/common?

Buckshot has 2 hits per target required on paper. So if it was 4 steel and 4 paper, that would be 8 rounds and 12 scored hits.

Thanks for your patience with all of my questions - I'm really looking forward to this match!

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an FYI, there will be 4 zones and you will shoot 2 zones each day. 1 zone will have all buckshot, one will have all slugs, one all birdshot. The zone with the 50 round stage will have 2 birdshot speed shoots and then the 50 rounder will have 10 buck, 10 slug and 30 birdshot.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

You got stages up anywhere?

No. I am not sure if I am going to publish them ahead of time or not.

I know a few people tried to sign up and got a notice that the match was full. That was an error, it it not full. We still have slot and we still need some more staff as well.

We are not going to publish the stages ahead of time. When you check in, you will receive the written stage briefings.

Here is a little intel on the slug stages. There are 3 of them, and they are ALL paper. IPSC rules use Comstock scoring and in this match, all of the slug paper target require 1 hit to score, with an A being 5 points, a C 4 points and a D 2 points. A miss is double value in comstock, so -10 points. Very few people have shot this type of scoring, so pay attention. The best advice i can give you is to take your time on the slug shots and if you can get closer, it is advantageous to do so.

There are 4 Buckshot stages and it will all be on steel, likely 8x8 targets to 11-17 targets.

If you have not shot your shotgun weak shoulder, you might want to practice that in the next few weeks. :)