Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3-gun AR build

paramajic4

I am getting ready to build a new race only AR for multi-gun. Plan to use it for limited with an EOTech. Curious what feedback is out there.

Planned build is as follows:

Phoenix Weaponry billet upper & lower

JP Rifles LMOS BCG

JP Silent Capture Spring

Obermeyer 14.5 inch SS .223 Wylde with 1:8 twist. Will have compensator welded to meet 16" barrel requirement

Rifle length adjustable gas system

Geissele SD-3G Trigger group

Mil-spec Buffer tube with magpul stock

Haven't settled on a handguard yet (usually use JP)

I know there are tons of opinions out there but what I am really looking for is if anyone see's a problem with this working and cycling properly.

Thanks

You also cant have a rifle gas system on a 14.5 so i am not sure where you noticed this barrel for sale; you can do carbine or mid on a 14.5. I don't see this as an issue but your going to spend big money on that barrel. I think that it will far exceed your needs. If it was me, i would opt for a less expensive and more durable barrel.

If you are looking on the Obermyer page and barrel prices, your going to pay much more then that listed price for a barrel to have it chambered etc.

I would look at a lightweight CHF 16 with midlength or rifle gas. Weight gain over a 14.5 is marginal and you can change comps around if you don't like it.

I would look at Faxon, Voodoo, or Ranier for a barrel. There are lots and lots of choices.

If it was your local gunsmith that said he could do a rifle gas on a 14.5 barrel I would find another gunsmith. There are too many good options out there. Consider that I have custom high end barrels on my LR guns but my 3g rifles all have middle of the road stuff, I cant justify a Krieger on a 3G rifle.

Phoenix Weaponry billet upper & lower - Waste of money. Forged is fine, especially the lower.

JP Rifles LMOS BCG - Great Choice

JP Silent Capture Spring - Not bad, but heavy. Carbine buffer with weights replaced with poly is a less costly choice.

Obermeyer 14.5 inch SS .223 Wylde with 1:8 twist. Will have compensator welded to meet 16" barrel requirement - Would never weld a comp, would also not go with a 14.5. There are some good and some great 16" barrels.

Rifle length adjustable gas system - Not on 14.5!. The Stretch 16 with an intermediate is excellent. For Rifle length gas, you really want 17" or more. If you get a properly designed competition barrel, you can skip the adjustable gas, a failure point I avoid.

Geissele SD-3G Trigger group - If you must, but I think they are over-rated and over-priced. There are a lot of good drop in triggers, try them and choose.

Mil-spec Buffer tube with magpul stock - Mil-spec or Comm does not matter, just get the right one for the stock. There are lots of MagPul stocks too.

Haven't settled on a handguard yet (usually use JP) - Lots of choices, JP is good.

I have enough rounds through the Stretch16 and the Nordic18 to say both are very good values, as well as accurate and soft shooting. Are there cases where I would choose one over the other and vice-versa, yes.

+1 for the 18" Nordic, also recommend a sure fire pro comp. This set up is very soft shooting and extremely accurate, hitting full size silhouettes at 500 last time out. I also shoot limited with this set up, have a Vortex Strikefire with 4moa dot. An EOtech would be awesome, doesn't the 557 have multiple dots that assist with hold overs?

MarkCO,

Intrigued by your remark that powders affect the durability of a stainless barrel. What do you consider slow powders?

Stuff like Varget. Another reason rifle gas is preferable. The pressure, temperature and amount of burning powder is less going through a port further down the barrel. Gas port erosion is a large driver of accuracy fall-off. For 3Gun, I will take a little less accuracy for a cooler or faster powder if I get more barrel life. My 12K+ Nordic printed a 10 shot 100 yard 0.7" group yesterday in the breeze and at 5x. I am sure my best loads using the 10x are still under .5MOA. I don't run anything near max and I tend towards cooler powders.

I have seen the same barrel not be able to get under 1.5MOA after 8K when it was fed a steady diet of Varget near max

Hi Mark,

To expand that line of thinking to its logical conclusion, what are good examples of "faster" powders that are relevant to 223/5.56 AR use and perhaps other AR15 platform cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel?

You gave us an example of a slower powder (Varget). Thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm concerned with prematurely wearing out a stainless barrel if I select the wrong powders (if I reload in the near future) or pick factory ammo with slow powders. So many 308 guys I know are card carrying members of what I jokingly call The Church of Varget. That may have been started on the bolt gun side of things.

It is really about matching the powder to the load. Varget is fine for the heavier bullets, especially if not maxed out.

X-terminator, 2015, 2230, 2460, RL7, RL10, H332, Benchmark, and several others are faster powders than Varget. Not picking on Varget, it is a good powder, but 52s and 55s at 3100 to 3200 with Varget, yep that will shorten the barrel life due to gas port erosion. Total non-issue in bolt guns.

It is really about matching the powder to the load. Varget is fine for the heavier bullets, especially if not maxed out.

X-terminator, 2015, 2230, 2460, RL7, RL10, H332, Benchmark, and several others are faster powders than Varget. Not picking on Varget, it is a good powder, but 52s and 55s at 3100 to 3200 with Varget, yep that will shorten the barrel life due to gas port erosion. Total non-issue in bolt guns.

Thank you very much. I didn't think you were picking on Varget at all. Merely discussing the particulars of its performance in an AR platform, etc.

Thank you very much. I didn't think you were picking on Varget at all. Merely discussing the particulars of its performance in an AR platform, etc.

No problem, you would be shocked at some of the emails I get though. :)

You also cant have a rifle gas system on a 14.5 so i am not sure where you noticed this barrel for sale; you can do carbine or mid on a 14.5. I don't see this as an issue but your going to spend big money on that barrel. I think that it will far exceed your needs. If it was me, i would opt for a less expensive and more durable barrel.

If you are looking on the Obermyer page and barrel prices, your going to pay much more then that listed price for a barrel to have it chambered etc.

I would look at a lightweight CHF 16 with midlength or rifle gas. Weight gain over a 14.5 is marginal and you can change comps around if you don't like it.

I would look at Faxon, Voodoo, or Ranier for a barrel. There are lots and lots of choices.

Thanks for thinking of us!