Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hey guys,

So I started shooting last September, did my first USPSA match in November and Tomorrow I'm heading towards my third match.

I learned that there will be a couple classifiers stages. I figure this will take me from Unclassified to D if I don't screw up. Question is, is that anything I should know about it? I mean, are there any differences between a regular and a classifier stage?

Tips are welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Classifieds have very specific ways you have to shoot them ( weak hand/strong hand) just make sure you know how your meant to do it and don't try to rush through it

Read the classifier description. If you know the classifier number before the match look it up and read it.

Understand the start-stop position, penalties and stage procedure

Understand the scoring method - comstock, virginia or fixed time - Take the time to read and understand the scoring method and penalties for each in the rule book (9.2 of the 2014 rule book). Virginia count is pretty common in classifiers. So for example, unless you know for certain you missed a target and are extremely fast do not take extra shots on virginia counts stages.

Make a plan of how you are going to shoot it and stick to it. Do not change at the last minute. If you can clearly visualize shooting the stage in your head before you step up to the line you will be about as prepared as you can be.

If you can't do any of the above...well, grip it and rip it. Sometimes that works too! :cheers:

Good Luck.

Its just a stage in the match, like any other. Read the briefing if you get there early like you would any other stage. Ask the RO questions if you are unsure of anything. But in the end, its just one stage in the whole match....

We had a new shooter a few months ago and we failed to mention the importance of Virginia count. He had 5 extra shots on the first string. Luckily the score keeper was laughing so hard he forgot to write the time down. We all felt bad since we forgot to tell him.

2 things:

1. as someone already said, just treat it like any other stage .. don't 'try' to do anything ... just shoot it

2. classifiers are meant for you to demonstrate fundamental stand and shoot action shooting skills. take good notes on your performance as the classifier will highlight weaknesses in your fundamentals ...

Dry fire practice so your fundamentals are solid. Draw to freestyle, reload, strong hand, reload, weak hand. Draw from 4 positions: hands at sides, surrender, turn then draw, table start.

If I had to do things over with my USPSA "career", I would first take a look at the two classifier calculator websites:

http://cmcalccom/

http://classifiercalc.com/

With smart phones now, it would be really easy to figure out what the 100% or high hit factor for a particular classifier stage would be.

In fact, I have heard/read that some club level match directors actually publish ahead of time, even for the whole year what the classifier stage is going to be at the local match. It gives some people enough notice that I am sure there are some people who practice just the classifier befire the next local match.

Its just a stage in the match, like any other. Read the briefing if you get there early like you would any other stage. Ask the RO questions if you are unsure of anything. But in the end, its just one stage in the whole match....

There you go. Take that advice to heart and move on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...