Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go Pro use OK or not?

Thaunk

I've seen some YouTube videos folks made on their go pros and I've used data acquisition before in other hobbies. Does anybody use a go pro to record their runs and watch them later? Seems like a good idea to me, but I'm wondering if it's a bit too much for my 2nd match? I didn't see anybody using one at my first match but I did see a few folks doing it at the larger regional match a month earlier when I was just spectating.

Lots of guys use GoPro or something to record their runs. Personally, even after shooting a few years, I don't want the distraction. That said, I still like someone to get a video of me on a stage or two. If someone else records your run, just make sure you're not taking them out of their game, it's safe to do so, and the RO is OK with it. JMHO

I'll use one at a major match but rarely at a local match - but have done so in the past.

There is good but limited info to be gained from the first person POV, more info exists in 3rd persion video.

If you have access to an iPad, you can use Shotcoach to collect some statistics that can point you to what needs practice but honestly, until you learn the rules and of the game and are VERY comfortable with safety procedures, I can not recommend the extra distraction of a 1st person POV camera for a new shooter. Better to ask someone else to video you.

i used a gopro my very first match. it was fun and i have a record of my very first shooting competition, which is kinda cool to me.

as i've progressed in filming and editing i like to shoot some stages pov and some on a little gorilla tripod down range and some with a person just following me holding it. this makes it more fun for the people you torture into watching your videos if they don't know much about the sport. it gives them a greater overview.

i like to look for hitches, misses, hesitations, fumbles and so on. i often learn more what i did poorly than what i did awesome. and it is another way to see if the video matches what i feel. so i can more closely correlate the too.

i can definitely say don't bother with the chest mount. it's good for seeing a reload and really that is about it. hat or ear pro mounts and the small gorilla tri pod are my favorites.

I do in fact have an iPad and I'm looking over shot coach. How exactly does it track hits? Am I inputting them or is the software good enough to see or hear the hits on it owns? For the GoPro I was thinking the head mount or shoulder mount. Should be quite stylish if I do it at all.

I can't remember the name but there is an app in the Apple store I saw a shooter using the other day. Basically you could watch two videos side by side which in itself seems pretty simple. But if you record the top shooter in your squad, as well as have someone record you with the same device, you can compare how you two shot the stage in real time. Pretty cool stuff!

I do in fact have an iPad and I'm looking over shot coach. How exactly does it track hits? Am I inputting them or is the software good enough to see or hear the hits on it owns? For the GoPro I was thinking the head mount or shoulder mount. Should be quite stylish if I do it at all.

It sets an audio threshold based on the sound levels and then guesses what are shots. Generally guesses pretty good, and once your used to using it you can probably score a run in a couple mins, but the learning curve is a little steep.

I'm strongly considering getting one for this year, either to attach to my ear protection or on a shoulder mount. If for no other reason than to show people what it is that I do, to get rid of those "Oh, I know someone who hunts" responses.

iON - Air Pro LITE Wi-Fi HD Waterproof Action Camera

I use this mounted to a camera stick, attached to my gun cart. I video from about 8 ft above ground level. Gives a great view, and I'm able to critique my run. It's wi-fi capable, so I can turn it on / off with my phone. I can also view the video right after on my smart phone if ever a question comes up.

BTW, they are currently on sale at Best Buy for $99.99

Edited by UFO

for POV i would take a hard look at Pivot Heads .... sunglasses with a HD video camera mounted in them. Superb quality and best of all I don't have to go around with that "little box on my head" look ... i just couldn't get by that and was thrilled when i was pointed to them from another forum member ... i know everyone is in love with them but I just can't get past the 'dorky' factor. i also don't want another thing mounted on my head no matter how light they are ... just one disenting opinion ...

Edited by Nimitz

I just started getting into it. I have a GoPro and mounted it to my hat. Got the idea from a guy at the Nationals last year (using a tripod mount attached to the bill). I really like it but I forget to turn it on occasionally since I'm usually helping run shooters or other stuff on the range. It's a good idea to see what you are doing or not doing so I'm all for it. However, it might be a little overwhelming at your second match. If you can get it going without taking you out of your game and still be safe, go for it.

I did the Samsung sports camera for a while. I had to butcher a baseball style cap though. The main camera body would sit in a pouch attached to my belt. For sitting in chair starts, it would sometimes snag on the chair.

Moved up to the iKam glasses. That was a lot better. I have taken it hunting with me a few times. It is neat to see just how little time I have from when a bird flushes to being out of range.

I am still interested in the pivot heads.

iON - Air Pro LITE Wi-Fi HD Waterproof Action Camera

I use this mounted to a camera stick, attached to my gun cart. I video from about 8 ft above ground level. Gives a great view, and I'm able to critique my run. It's wi-fi capable, so I can turn it on / off with my phone. I can also view the video right after on my smart phone if ever a question comes up.

BTW, they are currently on sale at Best Buy for $99.99

The raised view is a great idea. I'm going to have to try that.

That pivot head thing looks amazing. I may wait for the 2nd generation smart version instead. Looks like the launch is April.

Same here, definitely going to keep an eye on these. I think they would be awesome for recording motorcycle rides too.

That pivot head thing looks amazing. I may wait for the 2nd generation smart version instead. Looks like the launch is April.

Same here, definitely going to keep an eye on these. I think they would be awesome for recording motorcycle rides too.

One of the videos posted on their site of a motorcycle group in Australia. Looks excellent.

I am relatively new to shooting and I still use my go pro strapped to my forehead at matches. Each stage I ran in the beginning never felt right. I could stand at the local public range and the gun felt right in my hands, but when the buzzer went beeeeeepppp, for some reason I was always off and not shooting accurately. The video footage I had showed me that I had forgot how to property grip the gun. I saw that I was consistently putting my thumbs backwards crossed. About 3 hours of dry-fire practice cured me of that. The next match I found after viewing all the new video is that my grip was dead on all six stages. Now I am working on keeping the gun up in my field of view when reloading instead of bringing it way down like I normally do when making ready. Personally, so far the video has helped me, and I get to show off (only the good ones of course, the one where I forgot to load the gun on an unloaded start got deleted from my laptop somehow) to my family and friends.

Thanks.

As a different take on things I love my GoPro, mostly because my family lives 10 hours by car away so recording my matches is a great way to keep my relatives abreast of what I am doing these days.

Plus I realized one day that after 20 years of paintball I have 3 photos of me playing, all taken by professional photographers at events I was attending. Was a little depressing that I have little record (other than some fantastic memories) of something I was very passionate about for more than half my life.

I can't remember the name but there is an app in the Apple store I saw a shooter using the other day. Basically you could watch two videos side by side which in itself seems pretty simple. But if you record the top shooter in your squad, as well as have someone record you with the same device, you can compare how you two shot the stage in real time. Pretty cool stuff!

One of my friend uploaded one of those videos the other day. Apparently, it's just iMovie for Mac.

This seems like ancient history now, but there were one or two forum members here who would do a thing called "ghost" in windows movie maker. I would guess the camera would have to be on a tripod. Video a GM doing a run through a stage. Then video a B class shooter doing the same stage with the same stage plan. Then in windows movie maker, you could overlay the one clip over the other making it appear as is there was a ghost. You could see where the B class guy was losing time.