Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on the Double Alpha holster? Best Moonclip holder?

3gunnah

I am planning on shooting revolver only in USPSA this year. I picked up a 627-3 vcomp and I am looking for the best holster. What do you guys think about the Double Alpha rigs? Or any other brands that you guys might like.

I would also like input on moonclip holders and loaders/unloaders.

Thanks

I like the DAA holster and if trying to save some money go with the one that does not have the interchangeable insert. As far as moon clip loader/unloaded BMT is the best but also the most expensive but well worth it. I use the James Austin Moon Clip Server as I like to only reach for one place to grab a moon clip and then I have 2 single post North Mountain Moon Clip holder for loading off the table also on my belt.

You'll be good to go with the Double alpha race master holster or a CR speed holster (I use the CR speed, but when the time is right I want to try the race master). As far as moon clip holders the North Mountain moon clip holders and the Speed-E-Rack are the two most common that I see people using. I use the NM holders, but I consider both holders to be excellent it's just a matter of preference. The James Austin moon clip server is popular too but I like the KISS ideas of the other two. I don't know if loading moon clips on to the moon clip server from a table could be done as quickly as the other two. The BMT is a great mooner/demooner and something extra that is a must is TK custom steel moon clips designed by hearthCo matched to your brass. Hope this helps, good luck, and welcome to the world of revolver shooting.

Edited by WheelGunHunter

I ran the DAA for two seasons but just switched to CR. CR feels more consistent in the draw and a simpler design. And I just switched to NM from the speed-e-rack as the magnets don't hold the thin stainless moons too well - they fall off with aggressive movement. I also prefer the more centered location of the NM on the belt.

Good luck. Have fun.

+1 BMT

Edited by almostold

I have a Double Alpha on my revolver belt. It's very secure when locked, it fits any barrel length and nothing goes into the end of my barrel to damage the crown. I would buy it again.

I moon rack of my own design. The north mountain holders are well made.

I've used the Safariland and the CR Speed and like the DAA Racer much better, I went with the Racer instead of the Race Master simply because I didn't need the interchangeable inserts. When locked it is extremely secure, and still secure when unlocked. The CR Speed even when locked I could pull the gun out, and have seen them bumped out while pasting, even though locked. The Safariland was slow and not secure.

I run the North Mountain holders and like them for capacity vs. space. With moon clips stacked two high though, I find times that I miss one of the low sitting clips and grab the wrong one. I would like to try a Speed-E-Rack.

I have this holster also and I am happy to report that the N-frame holster also works with the GP-100. I agree that it feels secure when unlocked, but I did bump the gun out a couple of times when it became unlocked. I believe that I unlocked it while sitting down.

I am happy with the holster.

Im new to race holsters for revo also. But have used a RM for years with my auto's. So I bought another one for the 627 and so far in drills it works great ad feels just like it does with my auto.

I don't see the need to use the barrel extension and when I spoke with Saul he agreed as long as you lock it when not shooting. I lock mine as soon as I re holster.

I've used NM for idpa with my 625 their good. Bought a speedy rack and think its great so far for the 627. I move fast enough to be competive and have not had any problems with the rack at 2 matches so far. (used a balde tec holster for those)

The blued moon clips do hold better than the nickel though.

What do you do (when using a Moon Mountain Clip holder) when a stage requires going prone?

Just go prone!

At the Florida Open two weeks ago, they had a crazy stage where you had to start out lying face-down on a wooden platform (the "bed"). Both knees and chest had to be in contact with the bed. My 4-post North Mountain holder was right there in front where it always is, fully loaded with 8 mooncilps. On the start signal, I jumped up off the bed, grabbed my gun from the little shelf, and ran the stage. No problem whatsoever.

I believe Bob and Cliff did exactly the same thing. No problem whatsoever.

Now this may or may not work with every type of mooncilp holder. But the kydex tension of the North Mountain design holds the moonclips just fine during prone maneuvers.

What do you do (when using a Moon Mountain Clip holder) when a stage requires going prone?

Just go prone!

At the Florida Open two weeks ago, they had a crazy stage where you had to start out lying face-down on a wooden platform (the "bed"). Both knees and chest had to be in contact with the bed. My 4-post North Mountain holder was right there in front where it always is, fully loaded with 8 mooncilps. On the start signal, I jumped up off the bed, grabbed my gun from the little shelf, and ran the stage. No problem whatsoever.

I believe Bob and Cliff did exactly the same thing. No problem whatsoever.

Now this may or may not work with every type of mooncilp holder. But the kydex tension of the North Mountain design holds the moonclips just fine during prone maneuvers.

Thanks. I was a little worried because I thought the moonclip rack and me would be competing for the same space :)

Bob sells a version with spacers for the (ahem) fuller-figured shooter.

Still USPSA legal? And let's say I lose the "enhancement" can the spacers be removed?

Thanks

Yes and yes. But regardless of my gut, even if I was skinny as a rail I'd still leave the spacers on.

The only issue with going prone with NM is the lighter moon clips can get bent. But that's an issue with ALL of them. I've used the NM, the springy clip ons and the Speed E Rack. The NM is more secure than the other two and just as fast.

Also on the prone issue and bent clips, another reason to stick with the thicker HD Moon clips like Hearthco, they won't bend as easy.

Thanks for all the responses. I found a CR speed in the classifieds for a good price, I am going to go with the NM + sized 4 post holder. Time to order some Short colt and get started.

Last Q stainless or blued hearthco clips from T K Custom.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have become a fan of the DAA Racer Holster (the more affordable version of the Race Master without replaceable inserts). I think it draws smoother than any other "race" style holster I've owned. It has the most flexible adjustment range with several axis points to move to your liking. Simple design with very few moving parts. The only con to it as someone pointed out was the lock lever. The internal design locks the gun in solid but the lever itself lends to easy disengagement without the shooter knowing it. If they added say a knurled headed screw opposing the lock lever at 90 degrees to jam on the lock lever itself just before its protrusion out of the body it would eliminate the ease of dislodging the lever accidentally. For piece of mind I use the muzzle support to stabilize the gun in the event of the occasional upwards bump and have never had a problem so far. I saw it mentioned the concern of crown damage from the muzzle supports. The DAA uses a plastic muzzle rest, some others use brass or aluminum, regardless it's not going to damage the crown just resting on it. If you have a comp it wont touch the crown anyway. Worrying about crown damage from a muzzle support is splitting hairs.....Think of when you clean your gun and the aluminum or brass cleaning jags are bumping into the crown (harder material than plastic) and how many times you jammed your muzzle into that port door to open it, ....how it that any less damaging?

Edited by BallisticianX