Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-75 Tactical sport basepads causing rounds to nosedive ?

Gadela08

i just bought the extended basepads from CZ custom shop for a CZ-75 Tactical sport in 9mm. They extend your capacity to 23+1.

i just installed them and now the first 8 rounds or so (from a full magazine) tend to nosedive so that the front lip of the magazine will catch the brass casing.

did i install them wrong? do i need a longer spring or a different follower? is it because the basepad floor is at a different angle than the original bottom mag plate?

does anyone else have this issue and how have you solved for it?

thanks!

+1 on the Gram's spring and follower, there are a couple of more coils longer and the follower is a bit thinner and slimmer. This will help it slide in the tube a bit easier. I've been using 5 mags like that for two years in heavy competition and have had only one nose dive when I ran them hard a few matches in a row and didn't bring a tube brush.

Keep em clean, and brush the tubes out regularly and there shouldn't be any problems.

I don't have a 9mm, but I do have a 40sw so what I learned may have some relevance. With the extended basepads the factory followers may or may not work. If they get stuck in the basepad they are too wide and the edges have to be slightly chamfered so they will come up out of the basepad. Once that is done you have to worry about the top of the mags. If the follower is to narrow or has been chamfered too much, the follower will cam up on one side. By that I mean the high side of the follower will rotate up, more or less around the axis of the bullet. You can immediately see this is you look at the front side of an empty mag. When this happens the mag does not feed reliably, so you either change the follower or mess with the feed lips.

I chose to solve the problem with those mags by substituting the CZC spring and follower combo. That cures the problem instantly, but introduces another. The "plank" follower sits a little lower than the factory and will not always lock the slide back when empty. When you pair this with a mag tube that sits slightly lower in the frame, that's what happens. Also, the CZC spring is a little weaker than factory, so that may contribute.

I'm going to try some Grams units and see if they work any better.

I've got those basepads, the extra power mag springs and the original style followers and that parts combo has worked perfect and holds 23 rounds even without the CZC followers that you supposedly need for the added capacity.

Same here... I havent had an issue yet... But I havent shot it that extensively.

I used the CZC 13 coil spring with original followers, still manage to get 23 rounds in the mag.

Where can I get those Gram Spring and Follower kit? They are no longer available on

http://bevengrams.com/products/?p=productsList&iCategory=16

the extended basepads are not intended for the 9mm TACTICAL SPORT only the 40

From CZC Can be used on the TS 9mm but will NOT increase the capacity.
The ribs on the TS 9mm mags will catch on the cartridge and or follower.
Unless you are using the new CZC Spring and Follower 10522

was this off of their website?

because i certainly didn't see it at all when i ordered it .. from my ipad.

EDIT:

i just checked the same site on a PC and saw the notice

Edited by Gadela08

Yea... Thats the part I dont get... I ordered they special CZC follower, I didnt like it it make the follower "float" around in the tube, not the same sturdy feel like the factory follower, I was like what the hell, lets try and fit the follower if needed...

Not needed factory follower, extended round count to 23 for 9mm! function flawlessly, so far...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had a problem with the slide locking back after the last round? I have the CZC base pads, followers and 13 coil springs and it does not lock back at all after the last round. Then again it does hold 21+1 in .40