Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marking your brass

crovello

I am buying a STI in 38 super. Up to now I have only loaded .40 and .45. These are easy to identify by caliber. I would also load these till the brass failed

I want to be more careful tracking my brass with the 38 super. I went through my junk brass bin and found empty cases to compare. I as suspected I found that the .38 super, .38 super comp, 9x21 and 9x25 could easily be mixed up if not careful. I have new brass coming in a few days along with everything else I need to load this caliber. What I wanted to do is to mark my brass so as not to confuse it with other shooters brass.

When loading rounds for chrono I would mark each different load with different color markers so I could see what effect the loads had on my brass. But this mark does not stay on for long. Does anyone have a method of marking their brass that would last longer? It sounds like tedious work inspecting each head stamp before tossing brass in my tumbler. There must be a better way.

Dave

Dave,

You can easily track your brass in practice but in competition, the brass will mix up. I pick up any brass as long as it is .40 cal. It's not easy to pick/choose your brass in competition. There's always a next shooter on deck and I don't think you have still or RO's would allow you to pick and choose your brass.

In chorono- What I do is, I chose my bullet weight and group them. Eg: I set aside all 180 grains and set aside another 200 grains Or tape them with a mark on tape.

Marking will not last long specially when you tumbler after or before reloading. You can also mark each time after reload.

I mark all of my ammo after I check it with a case gauge (except for carry ammo). If it gauges okay, then it gets a cross of red and black sharpie across the head.

Yeah, I gauge my factory ammo. You'd be surprised at how many rounds won't gauge too.

Lynn, That marking system would sure make your brass stick out. You do not see the head stamp when you are picking it up so marking it on the side makes sense. I may do something like that on my own. I will just not make is so colorful. I don't want to look fruity out there :D . Thanks for the link

Dave

DJPoLo, Thats a great pic. Did you do that with the marking system that Lynn was talking about? No problem picking your brass out of a pile. I am just not that flashy. Maybe just one stripe and if I am in a very flashy mood I will use a red marker. :)

Dave

Try and use colors or combinations of colors that other people aren't using. There are so many shooters here in league that use red that everyone's always fighting over the brass or exchanging bits of brass with everyone else--they can't tell which is which. Go for the 'being different' look. It'll guarantee reduced losses. ;)

Try and use colors or combinations of colors that other people aren't using.  There are so many shooters here in league that use red that everyone's always fighting over the brass or exchanging bits of brass with everyone else--they can't tell which is which.  Go for the 'being different' look.  It'll guarantee reduced losses. ;)

The reason everybody uses red is red is by far the easiest to visually 'pick-up' when lying on the ground. Dark colors like blue and black almost act as camouflage.

Use red and something else..

Guest Larry Cazes

My wife and I use 2 purple stripes using Nolan's marking system and it works great. Thanks to Berkim and others :lol: , we get 80-90% back if we are diligent about brassing. we also use a cheap $10.00 pick up tool that I bought from our local bed, bath, and beyond store to allow us to pick them up without stooping 20-30 times for each COF. Saves wear and tear on the back! Since we both shoot .38supercomp, it is well worth the effort.

Larry, what exactly did you buy from Bed & Bath that picks up brass?? The places I shoot have a lot of sand and I don't want to bring sand home with me. does it pick up brass without all the dirt?

I am not to old to stoop for my brass. Just curious :)

Dave

Guest Larry Cazes
I don't want to bring sand home with me.

Sounds like what you need is a shooters connection brass bag actually. They have an open mesh bottom like a course sifter. A quick shake at the end of the day and the sand is gone. If only it worked for richmond gravel. :D

Larry, what exactly did you buy from Bed & Bath that picks up brass?? The places I shoot have a lot of sand and I don't want to bring sand home with me. does it pick up brass without all the dirt?

I am not to old to stoop for my brass. Just curious :)

Dave

I'm also interested in the tool you use to pick up the brass. As for the sand and dirt, I use a mesh laundry bag so all of the dirt and sand stays on the range. You can pick up the mesh laundry bag at the local market or super store in the laundry department. They are designed for "delicates". :P

I have a brass bag from I-shot that is mesh on the bottom. I do not really need a tool to pick up brass.

But I need to know what you would buy at Bed & Bath!!!! I am just curious by nature :) Plus the next time my wife drags me in there kicking and screaming I will have something to look at.

Dave

Nolan's brass marker is awsome.

My wife set up the 2 pens such that we get 2 colors and one stripe is fatter than the other... Very distinctive and we get all kinds of people returning brass to us. It is easy to use as you put rounds into the boxes...

I recomend it,

Ira

Guest Larry Cazes

The brass picker upper thingy from Bed, Bath, And Beyond is kinda like a remote hand. I has a pair of rubber cups on the end that open and close when the grip is squeezed and it is about 3 feet long overall and folds for easy storage. I'll have to post a picture when I get a chance.

The brass picker upper thingy from Bed, Bath, And Beyond is kinda like a remote hand.  I has a pair of rubber cups on the end that open and close when the grip is squeezed and it is about 3 feet long overall and folds for easy storage.  I'll have to post a picture when I get a chance.

Sounds like the tool I use to pick up after my dog.... ;)

20735809_lg.jpg