Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any advantage to buying an SVI over STI blank slide

Metallurgist

Can yall see any advantage of buying a blank (unmarked-uncut-unfinished) SVI slide over a blank STI slide. It will be sent with a PT stainless frame and grip to a my gunsmith for fitting, slide cuts and Finishing. I have my owns thoughts about it but curious to hear others. Thanks

Edited by Metallurgist

Just curious if there was a reason. I've talked to a handful of smiths and a top level GM who recommended Caspian over STI for slides- none pinpointed a particular reason but it was enough for me. I do have an STI slide on my budget SS rebuild.

My custom was built on a PT frame with a Caspian slide and I fit a Caspian firing pin stop and ejector- that went incredibly well as the parts were clearly spec'ed to fit together. The extractor tunnel was a bit tight.

The STI on the other hand, was a different story. STI slide and two different STI firing pin stops and neither were remotely close to fitting without a lot of filing.

I haven't ever tried to fit SV parts. I know you are sending it to a smith but I liked that all the Caspian parts were so close to start and believe the metal to be of good quality.

I would use neither. Take a look at JEM Enterprises. Good machining and he doesn't "hide" anything by bead blasting them. You get them exactly as machined. I haven't built a gun using slides from one of the manufacturers you mentioned. The last frame and slide, plus parts from the other completely turned me off, so much so it is a never again proposition- not even parts.

I used to be a tool and die maker, so I know what it takes to make a good part. In this day and age there is simply no excuse for incorrectly sized holes, holes not it the correct location, excess tooling marks, chatter or bad surface finishes. I could go on about how rails are supposed to be parallel, etc., but you get the idea.

BTW, if you want a GS in the STI style that can be removed without removing the MSH, JEM makes one. It is machined from bar stock, not MIMed like the other guy's.

Just curious if there was a reason. I've talked to a handful of smiths and a top level GM who recommended Caspian over STI for slides- none pinpointed a particular reason but it was enough for me. I do have an STI slide on my budget SS rebuild.

My custom was built on a PT frame with a Caspian slide and I fit a Caspian firing pin stop and ejector- that went incredibly well as the parts were clearly spec'ed to fit together. The extractor tunnel was a bit tight.

The STI on the other hand, was a different story. STI slide and two different STI firing pin stops and neither were remotely close to fitting without a lot of filing.

I haven't ever tried to fit SV parts. I know you are sending it to a smith but I liked that all the Caspian parts were so close to start and believe the metal to be of good quality.

Thanks for the insight

STI slides are easier to get and cheaper probably. As for slides cracking, sure my STIslide cracked on my open gun after two years. It had been milled quite bit though. STI covered it under warranty which speaks highly of them

I have 2 guns with SVI slides and the quality of the machining is excellent. I like the fact you have multiple options for cuts when you order it. I have also had several guns built using Caspian slides. If I'm having a smith build the gun I will usually use a blank Caspian. I am currently waiting for a build from Lone Star Innovations and I picked a Caspian for that build.

Edited by Rob1125

Check out Ck Arms Slides. Really nice. SVI are beautiful as well, but they are $100 more. I take STI over Caspian any day. Recently, I noticed Caspian needs to learn when to change or sharpen cutters. I can't believe some of the stuff I saw, thinking it wasn't even fit for Foster ind. I think everyone at 1 point in time has had some metallurgy issues, but get back on point shortly and tend to warranty their stuff. Unfortunately, the slide is the cheap part. Paying your gunsmith to fit & lighten, and waiting is the expensive part.

I have seen more cracked Caspian slides than STI slides. I like STI slides coz they are harder than Caspian slides. Also, they seat lower into the frame so you get to use #2 to #4 barrel links.

I have built more than 10 pistols using SVI slides, and so far they haven't cracked. They have very narrow rail widths, about 0.748 in.

The barrel bore is oversize, about 0.705 in. You also have to use their firing pins and firing pin stops. They are slightly different than the standard ones.

I have seen more cracked Caspian slides than STI slides. I like STI slides coz they are harder than Caspian slides. Also, they seat lower into the frame so you get to use #2 to #4 barrel links.

Thank you for that

I have built more than 10 pistols using SVI slides, and so far they haven't cracked. They have very narrow rail widths, about 0.748 in.

The barrel bore is oversize, about 0.705 in. You also have to use their firing pins and firing pin stops. They are slightly different than the standard ones.