Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock double fire

rbebeau

I was running a guy at our local match this weekend and it seemed like his G34 was double firing every tenth round or so. I'm not that familiar with the glock mechanics (or if he had an aftermarket guts). Can this happen with a Glock and whats the call?

If you are sure it was a double and not a really quick trigger pull he needs to fix it before he shoots with it in the match.

5.1.6 Handguns must be serviceable and safe. Range Officers may demand examination of a competitor’s handgun or related equipment, at any time, to check they are functioning safely. If any such item is declared unserviceable or unsafe by a Range Officer, it must be withdrawn from the match until the item is repaired to the satisfaction of the Range Master.

Edited by ktm300

I was running a guy at our local match this weekend and it seemed like his G34 was double firing every tenth round or so. I'm not that familiar with the glock mechanics (or if he had an aftermarket guts). Can this happen with a Glock and whats the call?

Sure it can happen with a Glock. Doubling is a stepping stone to going full auto. Once you see/hear a double be on the lookout for it again. More than once in a match and you retire the gun for repair or replacement

"Doubling" can be due to several things. With a light trigger and some techniques, it can be bump firing which is not a gun malfunction. If the FP safety has been altered (disabled) and there is a stock striker spring or Federal primers, with a modified trigger geometry, yes they can certainly double.

It is harder to get a Glock to double than other platforms since the striker does not have full velocity from the partial position. If a Glock does in fact double due to something other than a bump fire, there are at least two problems that need to be fixed!

Iv'e been told than if you get too polish happy to the point your removing material that it will double or go full auto if you try and push it to far. hasn;t happened to me but i have a friend that had that happen. i think it was from over polishing the cruciform where it contacts the bottom of the striker... don't hold me to it, it has been a while since we were talking about it

Iv'e been told than if you get too polish happy to the point your removing material that it will double or go full auto if you try and push it to far. hasn;t happened to me but i have a friend that had that happen. i think it was from over polishing the cruciform where it contacts the bottom of the striker... don't hold me to it, it has been a while since we were talking about it

Sure, that can cause a double too if you keep the trigger back. If not, you might just end up with a dead trigger. With reduced power FP springs and primers other than Federal, there usually is not enough energy with the striker not being fully pulled to the rear to ignite the primers. Mashed over Titanium FPs can also cause slam-fires. Regardless of the reason, it should be fixed, even if a bump fire.

Thanks guys! But how do you test this if it happens infrequently? I can stop him on the stage, and we can test fire the gun, but if it doesn't happen then what do you do?

This is why you have to be 100%certain of what is going on. As an RO IF YOU ARE SURE IT's doubling then you call it unsafe and pull it from the match. There is no recourse other than fixing it. This is for a local match of course. In a bigger match with an RM it's much easier."range master to stage ___" lol

Glocks need a minimum of 2/3 engagement at striker to trigger bar, if it polished that can cause doubling or full brrrrrrt. Weak firing pin safety spring can also do it.

If it has aftermarket parts, return it to stock and see if it still happens.

You need to run a diagnosis. 1st put an armorers half backplate on. As stated before if too much surface area of the seer is visible under the striker then that definitely has to be fixed. Glock allows one third of the surface area to be visible. next make sure the striker has a 90 degree angle and it is engaging the seer flush. Even a few degrees oblique can cause the striker to re-release. If this person is running they tab Controlled reset for a set screw control reset they may have maximized their tolerance on which case the gun will fire when you attempt to reset the trigger. Also if they are running enlightened striker check for burs concentrations on the shelfof the striker and/or safety plunger this is sometimes caused those two parts to stick positioning the seer forward enoughposition it could just catch and then re-release but thats a long shot. Generally check slide to frame fit if the gun is not fully in battery as well as the window in the trigger housing. These issues usually happen due to something called stacking tolerances so it's probably not just one thing. A little bit here a little bit there and off she goes