Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New S&W 627 in 38 Super - Tips appreciated

dansedgli

I just put down a deposit on my first revolver.

A new 627-4 in 38 Super.

627_zpsdf2fcfb3.jpg

I already shoot 38 super and have 2000 unfired starline cases to use.

Can anyone recommend the best moon clips to use for these? I've done a bit of searching but a lot of the info for this gun is pretty old and there is mixed opinions on everything.

I see TK custom list 2 types, 1 stainless and and 1 blued. Is there a significant disadvantage to the blued ones? They are nearly half the price.

http://www.tkcustom.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=27&cat=.38+Super

I plan on using my DAA racemaster holster with a new insert but I have no idea where to begin with a moon clip holder.

Any tips on what works?

Thanks,
Dan

Sorry to say for your wallet, But you want the more expensive " EDM " cut moonclips, it might say " designed by hearthco " or something along side of it.

The EDM Hearhco clips hold brass so much better then the cheaper stamped steel counter parts.

Though, you could order a few of both and see what works better for you and your needs.

Congrats on the find.

.38 super Moonclips I use the stamped TK clips at $4 each. I have some EDM TK clips also and I cant tell any difference in how tight they hold the rounds. IIRC Tom told me they are made to same dimensions. Call Tom and ask him.

The stamped clips are WAY more durable than the EDM clips.

Don't know about Hearthco clips as I don't have any of his.

You should have got a handful of clips from S&W with the gun. They are a smaller diameter than all the others and have square tips on the legs. These are THE BEST clip I have found for the .38 super but are not available anymore. The S&W website still shows these but when you order you now get stamped clips that are not the same and no where near as good.

I also run Starline brass.

As for moonclip racks here is a previous discussion.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204490&hl=%2Bmoonclip+%2Bholders#entry2270440

I use the North Mountain holder because I like having all my moonclips in one small area instead of all across my front.

Revolver Supply company also make post holders.

Hope you enjoy the Revolver.

Lots of good competition Revolver info here also.

http://revo-nation.com/

Edited by Bosshoss

Nice. Was this just sitting on a shelf somewhere? I didn't think they were making them anymore.

I use star line brass too. My brother and i tried to share loads between my revolver and his 1911. But the brass fired in the auto, even when reloaded and resized seemed to get stuck more in my cylinder. So I got dedicated brass just for my gun.

I have both types of moons from tk. Both work and fit the rounds snug but not too tight. One difference I noted was one batch of the blue steel moons I got did not fit in my BMT mooner. (Do a search for BMT if you haven't heard of them. Nifty tool. Worth the money). But a bit of filing and sanding in the inner circumference did the trick. The blues are also more difficult to push the rounds in with the BMT. The stainless fit and load and unload just right.

I've also used Dave hearth's moons. Great. He did the edm design for tk. They sell them at apex tactical or search for him here and contact him directly.

One other moon note, if you use a moonclip holder using magnets, you'd have to use the blue steel I believe as the stainless won't work.

I use a four short post north mountain. I like the relative security of the moons and they're centralized in front of me.

Check for burrs in the crown, check the forcing cone is square, do/get an action job and have a ball.

I just noticed that too. I didn't detect the accent in the typing. ;) And I was misled by the sweet old glory grips (that jealously mine didn't come with.) Still great.

Come on up to the IRC with the fun loving and fast Australian contingent that shoot each year.

Thanks for the help. I'll get some of each clips.

These guns pop up for sale every now and then down here, both new and used. I had a line on a used one but it was missing the regular end cap so bought new from the same shop.

I know of 1 other new one but im sure the importer would still have new stock.

Living in Australia is good on these occassions but getting new models takes much longer too. I don't think there are any 929s in the country yet and we probably wont see the new sti dvc until the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate, I've heard of people doing that.

I only shoot 38 super in my auto's so will just leave it at that.

Do you shoot oversize projectiles? I've read that .358 should be best, is this your experience too?

Hopefully I get my permit soon so I can pick it up.

Congrats on the new 38 Super revolver.

I have the same gun along with a 627-8 in 38/357 and a Model 929 Miculek 9mm revolver.

I get clips for all 3 guns from Revolver Supply in New Mexico.

He has what you need to get going and he is a revolver shooter too.

Good luck and stay safe.

E.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally picked this gun up yesterday and got to shoot a few hundred rounds at a plate rack.

It seems pretty accurate with my 1911 minor PF load using 125 grain coated lead conicals in .356 diameter. It will clean a plate rack at 25 yards without any problems.

I'll try and shoot some groups this afternoon but I reckon it might be fine for my needs without working up a 2nd load.

I like my first revolver. Now i need to invest in more clips and a rig.

20150321_175146_zpspzyucneu.jpg

Thanks guys, what holsters are everyone using ?

I use a Safariland and DAA racemaster for my single stack and open guns but thinking something like a bladetech might be the go.

Can I get one to suit any 5 inch or 6 inch 627 given that it is a bit longer?

I like the idea of ordering a Blade-Tech rig. The "race" holsters are simply not enough faster to justify their downside, in my opinion.

As a rough reference, here's a quick video of me last weekend--I have never claimed to have a lightning fast draw, but I'm reasonably quick coming out of the kydex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIoW_SRA4rw

If you think you can consistently draw quicker from a "race" holster, and you know for sure you'll never leave it locked after making ready, and you know for sure your gun will never unintentionally dislodge, then go for it. Otherwise, save your money and prevent the aggravation.