Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun for USPSA, Steel, etc.

shotgunone

I've been thinking about getting an open gun to begin shooting USPSA, Steel, and whatever else I can with a comp'ed, red dot sighted pistol. My reasoning is my old eyes being able to see a dot "out there" better than my front sight at the end of my arm. And who am I kidding the coolness factor of the open gun.

With that being said, I have spent hours looking at calibers and builders reading on this and other forums. While I have always wanted a 38 super, well just because... I am leaning, slightly, towards a 9mm because I already reload for 9 and have brass to get started. Also the cost of buying and even finding 38 super brass new or once fired seem pretty difficult.

I am considering a STI Trubor as the gun, because of cost and availability. Also it seems like there are several folks on here, that have Trubor's in 9 and shoot both major and minor loads, either as they come or by changing the recoil springs and other minor stuff. My thoughts are to load major PF for USPSA and then use a softer load for steel and other games that don't require the major PF loads.

I'm not looking to become a GM or M shooter and go pro, just wanting to have some fun and a little friendly competition. It's going to be a while as I save my $$$ to purchase the gun. So I'm not ready to buy at this point. I was just wondering if you all have any comments about my idea and direction I'm looking at taking. Is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks,

I'm doing the same the really economical way, M&P 5" Pro core 9mm with comp/barrel from Carver and Buris Fastfire III. Add a mag well and an Apex trigger and I'll be at < $1600 including gun. Yeah, I'll also need some mag pad kits and a few more mags but you get the point.

Not the gun that a Trubor is but I can always upgrade if I get in the deep end again.......

Edited by ZoomZoom

If you already are rigged up to load 9mm, I'd recommend you stay with 9mm.

There is no huge advantage to .38 super unless that is just what you want to shoot.

I shoot a 38 super, but only because that is what I started out with and have the stuff. If I was starting from scratch I'd go 9mm.

Have you looked at STI newest open pistol the DVC ? it comes with 2 -140 mags.. pistol is hard chromed ... & lightening cuts in the slide.. barrel & comp is finished in titanium nitride ...2lb trigger from the factory... really good looking shooter..

I am leaning towards a 9mm because I already reload for 9 and have brass to get started.

I am considering a STI TruBor, because of cost and availability.

Shotgun, I have to agree with both of your thoughts ...

9MM TruBor ... :bow:

I have two of them. :cheers:

I've never fired a .38 super, and don't think I'm missing anything.

I'd buy your TruBor, either used or from Brazos with their tune up pkg.

There are some neat new mags just came out for the 9mm/.38 super,too-

they look Very Good.

I really appreciate the comments. Maybe I'm not way off base on my thinking.

Have you looked at STI newest open pistol the DVC ? it comes with 2 -140 mags.. pistol is hard chromed ... & lightening cuts in the slide.. barrel & comp is finished in titanium nitride ...2lb trigger from the factory... really good looking shooter..

I saw them, but the open gun is $3299.00. Trubor's are running about $2700.00 new. I don't know if the new DVC is going to be worth the extra $600.00 to me. I'm not sure on how to evaluate what you are getting in the new DVC guns verse a Trubor. I know they are not out yet so hopefully someone will get one and do a detailed report on it.

www.ckarms.com

Thanks for the link but it looks like these gun are $3500.00. That's a lot more than the Trubor's. Don't know what all they come with but would these be better than the DVC's for the money?

Generally speaking the price difference between a factory/semi-custom/full-cutom open gun are related to fit and finish, wait time, & build options. From what I've seen the DVC has a new comp design, 2lb trigger, stippled grip, slide racker, & lightened slide in comparison to the Trubor. Best bet would be to contact the vendors/builders you are interested in & get the info from the source.

I bought my first TruBor 8 yrs ago, and have been reading this Forum for 8 years,

trying to find out what is the difference between my $2700 TruBor and a $4,500

custom gun..

Only thing I have heard is that you can't get a real light trigger pull on a TruBor -

mine is around 3 lbs, which is light enough for me.

The "better fitting" wouldn't help me, because my TruBor is more accurate than

I am. And, I've heard the TruBor comp is very good for 9mm major.

So, I don't see any advantage to me to spending another $1800, but if I did,

I know I could sell my TruBor - even though it's 8 years old.

To be fair, I did add a slide racker to my TruBor, which increased the price. :cheers:

Hard chroming a gun is $300 at the least... trigger job is at least $100.. 140 mm mags are $60... lightening the slide $250.... not sure how much to add titanium nitride to the comp & barrel... and the DVC has a slide racker... plus the DVC has the new comp design which should help on muzzle flip...

to me its well worth the difference to get a "full blown race gun"

Edited by cecil

Hard chroming a gun is $300 at the least... trigger job is at least $100.. 140 mm mags are $60... lightening the slide $250.... not sure how much to add titanium nitride to the comp & barrel... and the DVC has a slide racker... plus the DVC has the new comp design which should help on muzzle flip...

to me its well worth the difference to get a "full blown race gun"

I like the looks of the DVC and I agree for the price difference between it and a Trubor, your probably getting your money's worth. I looked around the net and it looks like TiN coating a barrel is about $95.00. Don't know if that would be the same for a barrel with a Comp or not. I agree if you take a Trubor and try and make it a DVC you'd be better off with the DVC. Guess I need to decide how long I want to save.

I have to agree with Cecil. My Trubor is fantastic, but the DVC is a lot more gun for a little more money.

But you will not regret a Trubor!!!!

Looks like the DVC Open gun is about $500.00 more than a Trubor if you buy each one new.

Definitely worth considering. DVC ought to be in peoples hands before I get my money together so I'll be waiting for some reports.

Thanks,

My new STI DVC in 9mm should be delivered to me by the end of this month... clock is ticking !

That's awesome. I'll be waiting for a full report! I'm sure leaning towards the DVC now with all the comments. Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe if my wife would quit eating I could save money faster!!! Nahh that might spill over to me too!!! :goof:

Edited by shotgunone

I tend to agree if the DVC is $500-$600 more you do get more value.

trubor comes with a single 126mm mag from memory, DVC comes with 2 X 140's with nice base pads. That's worth $100 at least.

the reversible slide racker with ball detents would be at least a $200 job to buy and have fitted and if you did it to a trubor or another gun you'd then have to refinish the slide too

The hard chrome finish is $200-$300 depending on where it's done

The slide lightening at least $200

TiN coating about $80-$100

Double undercut and stipple job on the grip maybe $100-$150

better sear, hammer and 2lb trigger job? around $200-$300 depending on what exactly is done

new comp design? no real way to price that as there's no doubt the current trubor comp works well

That's at least $1000 worth of stuff if you wanted to do all that to a trubor... Do you need all that stuff? not really. plenty of people shoot a trubor very well (though most do do some mods like extractor etc). are they nice to have? yeah I think so.:)

Brazos......

My new STI DVC in 9mm should be delivered to me by the end of this month... clock is ticking !

That's awesome. I'll be waiting for a full report! I'm sure leaning towards the DVC now with all the comments. Where did you order it from if you don't mind me askingbe if my wife would quit eating I could save money faster!!! Nahh that might spill over to me too!!! :goof:

I like the super or Super comp but I've shot them for years on and off.

Either will be fine and starline has brass every few months. CZ custom shop has it also from starline at about the same price last I looked.

But again either seems to work great