Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.11 Tactical Range Ready bag

Clay1

I have been looking for a range bag. I see the wonderful $140 bags that are popular and have no doubt that they are quality products. I am looking for a less expensive option and found this bag by 5.11 Tactical. Has anyone tried this one? Your opinions are welcome and thanks in advance.

I did do a search and found many postings on other bags, but found no info on this one bag: Does anyone have this bag and can they compare it to other high end shooters bags?

Considering this as a range bag. Versus $140 for some other popular bags, it seems like a good deal, but want to make sure.

Check out the link: http://www.511tactical.com/Products.../RangeReady.asp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300lbgorilla, thanks for the help. actiongear.com has the best photos of this bag since it shows it from both sides and you can enlarge the photo. Better photos than the ones on the 5.11 site. No one else is shooting with one of these? Maybe it is too new?

I bought the I-Shot Pro Shooters Range Bag from MLE Shooting Sports for a tad under $50 and love it. Plenty of space for my stuff. I shoot USPSA and have used it the last two matches and it works great for me. When I visited the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia recently they had the exact same bag for about the same price with the NRA logo embroided on it. Looked nice. If you want even more room they have the Tournament Range Bag for around $90. Their price is hard to beat and I have absolutely no complaints with mine.

A few of my friends have the I-shot tournament bag. It will be my next bag. It is set up so nice for competitive shooting. Obviously designed by someone in the sport. There is so much room in the bag I would have to buy another gun. :) I Think I saw them at the last show I was at for $85. I should have bought it then but my Dillon bag is still in great shape. Then again if I wait for my Dillon bag to wear out it could be a while.

I have seen some products made by 5.11 and they are nicely made but I have not seen their range bags.

Dave

I started with Domke Camera bags, transitioned through a Bagmaster (not quite the biggest) and the Shooters Connection bag to the Big I-shot bag. I love two of those bags still for the range: The Shooters Connection bag for extra ammo, parts, cleaning gear, and all the other stuff I may need stays in my trunk --- it's just too bulky and heavy to carry when loaded. The Big I-shot bag offers a bit less padding and pockets, which forces me to load it with less stuff, and it's (in my opinion only) more comfortable to carry and work out of all day.

Both of those bags are worth every penny......

• 4 weeks later...

I finally recieved my Royal Robbins Range Ready bag yesterday. It seems they have been backordered for while.

I have never owned a Shooters Connection bag, but looking at the SC website the bags are the same layout. The SC bag can support 140 lbs, I really don't know about the RR bag, but the bag seems extremely sturdy. Zippers operate very smooth, stitching is strong, and the fabric is nice and thick with good padding.

IMAGES REMOVED BY AUTHOR, PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT COPIES.

Pictures are of it loaded up with some stuff. The pockets have my Pro-Ears, shooting glasses, stapler, timer, batteries, first aid kit, and other essentials. The removable stage bag I loaded up with rounds and two guns just for the pics.

Since it is cold, windy and there is snow on the ground I am not going to take it to the range. I loaded it up with 1000 rounds of .45 ACP and lugged it around the house. It's safe to say my back will go out before the bag.

Worth every penny.

Jon

Jon, I made the decision to get that same bag but haven't been able to find it in stock anywhere. Can you tell me who has them in stock now? I think this bag is the best deal on the planet right now. It's also a very nice large bag and not so small and the price is absolutely right.

Thanks Jon, have one ordered and they said that they have it in stock. Looking forward to a larger bag with mag pouches. Have 10 mags and they are all over the bottom of the current bag and are a mess.

The SC bag can support 140 lbs, I really don't know about the RR bag, but the bag seems extremely sturdy.  Zippers operate very smooth, stitching is strong, and the fabric is nice and thick with good padding.

Zen,

Will your bag stay rigid under it's own weight?

I have the I-Shot Pro Shooter's bag and while it's a great bag for the $, my only complaint is that it's a soft sided bag that will droop under it's own weight. You have to pick up the sides of the bag to insert your mags, etc. Hope I'm making sense.

I was looking at the shooter's connection bag but the price is a little steep for me. This looks like a great way to go.

It's rigid. I looked at the I-Shot Pro Shooter, and I know what you are talking about, I don't see that problem with the RR bag.

Jon

Thanks for the info and the link, Jon. I'll be placing an order shortly.

Al

Hey Zen. Do me a favor. put the inner bag in it. make sure it is empty and place 140 lbs on it, even 70 lbs on it and see what it does. Could you take some pics and post them. Although the 511 bag is a cheap copy of the SC I can see from the crinkled sides it isnt near the quality of the SC. They say thats the best form of flattery, imitation. And many have done it, but nobody has matched the quality.

I just remeasured the SC it is 23" long 15 " wide and 11 " tall. I am sure if the sides were not so straight and rigid it would measure bigger.

After selling thousands I have never had anybody return the bag after recieving it because it wasnt as good as I said it was. I offer that also. Buy the bag and if it isnt what you expectd send it back. Not one return.

I realize some cant or wont spend what the SC bag costs I just dont want to a false impression given on the competitions quality compared to the SC. You get what you pay for.

Chuck I am sure that your bag is better and you also support the shooting sports. Congratulations on making a superior bag with a wonderful warranty and your envolvement in the sport.

Some of us wish that we could afford your bag, but can't. I also bought a 5.11 Range Ready bag at $80 not $140. No one is taking away anything from you. Some of can drive Cadillacs and some of us drive Chevys. I won't go around and feel sorry for myself that I drive a Chevy. The bag will do what I want it to and need it to.

Good luck in your business and best wishes to you. I didn't read anyone that wrote it was as good as your product; some of us believe it will again meet our requirements for a range bag at a reasonable price point for our requirements. Thanks for your comments.

Rick Ingle

Clay1,

Very classy and eloquent way of summarizing your decision, but I don't think it is a Chevy vs. Cadillac thing at all, it is a Heavy Duty truck vs. a light duty truck kind of thing. I won my SC bag in Tennessee in 2003, and I shoot every weekend and then some, and it still looks like it did the day I took it out of the plastic. I also know that Chuck does give a lot of these as prizes, and his service and support are second to none. He is everything from the receptionist to the customer service manager, and when he buys something for his brand, he makes sure it is right to start with, then stands behind it. I think the SC bag will outlast it's cost, even if you have to pay for it in the beginning. Not controversial, just my experience with the product. I like the dog in the bag, my son plays in my SC bag all the time. Just my .02.

Rick, I do accept that there are those that cant or wont spend the 139.00 for my bag. I said so in my post. Problem is I read many comparisons with some of them leaving the impression the 511 was as good in quality. I could have made mine cheaper but I wanted to be known for quality and value. Those that have them can attest to that. The design on the SC bag must have been really good for so many wanting to copy it. Hell allot of them went so far as to copy the name as well. I loose everytime somebody uses my design and name to sell a similar product against me. Is it fair? No. Is life fair? NO! Doesnt mean I cant fight back.

I still want to see a pic of the bag with the weight on it. I bet it falls flat.

Chuck, I will do that for you. I agree your bag is more than likely much stronger. I have to see if I can find 70-140 lbs of stuff I can stack on the top.

Like I said in my first post, I don't own a Shooters Connection bag and only said they look like they have the same layout. I am sure your bag is the better bag, and you get what you pay for. I only stated the RR bag was sturdy and was built well. Yours could be much better but I can't tell.

I don't compete in any shooting sports right now, although I am planning on starting this summer. I am a LEO working for a very low paying department, (shift managers at McDonalds make more than me and they are right out of high school). Eventually I was planning on buying your bag, but my department allows us to pick up some equipment on the departments dime and we get to keep it (probably to help offset the low pay). I had everything else I needed to do the job, so I got the bag. Plus my department will only purchase through companies they have prior accounts with.

Even though I don't compete, I come to this forum because USPSA and IPSC shooters have the fundamentals of fast accurate shooting. They all may not know police tactics, but using information from here I can mold it to work for law enforcement. I know most LEO's are ridiculed for their ineptitude with firearms and piss poor firearms safety. But because of forums like this one and Brian's book, and Matt Burkett's videos, I am teaching my department more progressive techniques that allow them to improve their firearms skills. Unfortunately most LEO are not shooters, they will not dryfire, or practice except for department mandated training and only will use ammo purchased by the department.

The 5.11 line of gear helps me get my job done at prices I and my department can afford. I reload so I can practice, I do all my own gunsmithing, and refinishing. Price for me is always a concern, so this works for me.

I do appreciate all that you do for the shooting sports and wish you many continued years of success. I will try to locate some heavy stuff to place on my bag. Anybody know how much a thousand rounds of .45 weighs?

Jon

Test results!

Well Chuck it couldn't hold 140lbs. but it lasted to 100lbs. before everything took a tumble. But at 80lbs. it was having difficulty.

IMAGES REMOVED BY AUTHOR, EMAIL ME FOR COPIES.

The weight was all weighed on my bathroom scale before placing on the bag, and it tells me I am fat so it must be accurate.

Jon

Thanks for taking the challenge and posting the pictures Z Grass. It's still not a Shooter's Connection bag, but it still makes me think that I got a decent deal on the Range Ready bag.