Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun replica

Sarge

8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of a course of fire. Violations will

The way I was taught is you can't hold anything, that could be a sighting aid, in your hand and sight targets. Bottle of water, magazine, etc. Not the way I read it but.......... Who is to say a bottle of water is not a gun replica?

Ktm I appreciate the response but I think you were taught wrong for Uspsa. IPSC i believe do not allow you to hold anything. Pretty sure you can hold a magazine. At least that used to be the case. I just heard in a class that it is now prohibited and I just don't recall hearing that. Me and some others do it all the time

In 2004, you could not use a mag:

"8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the
whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real
firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their
own hands, while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of
a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per
occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1)."

10 years later this is the rule:

"8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1)."

I did not see any rulings on the NROI siite to make me believe that mags are prohibited.

Later,

Chuck

PS: IPSC requires empty hands. (Ask Blake ;) )

"8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica
firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while
conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty
per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1)."

Ktm I appreciate the response but I think you were taught wrong for Uspsa. IPSC i believe do not allow you to hold anything. Pretty sure you can hold a magazine. At least that used to be the case. I just heard in a class that it is now prohibited and I just don't recall hearing that. Me and some others do it all the time

Didn't Blake Miguez get dinged at World Shoot a few years ago for holding a towel in his hand during the walk through? I believe the IPSC rule is true.

This is interesting! I was also under the impression that in USPSA you were not allowed anything in your hand during the walk through. If that is really just for IPSC and in USPSA you are allowed to use a magazine or something that is not a gun, that would be a great advantage to those that did this vs those that did not! If we can come to a certain answer, I'm going to start using the mag during walk through for sure.

It all comes down to personal preference, but when doing a walk through, I like to have my hands in a 'shooting grip'. this is much harder to do with nothing in your hands, and the gun has some girth. I have found that treating your walk through as closely to your actual run yields better results. Helps with the muscle memory for the particular stage/movements. It would allow you to simulate reloads better to, ans you could use an actually mag and 'reload' into your fist.

Or it may all just be in my head, lol. Either way, I have seen a GM I shoot with do this some times, and was never about to jump in and tell him I though he was breaking the rules, but I guess this is why he does so...

I do it sometimes to feel some weight if there are a lot of side to side movements. I use a full 20rd mag.

I though IPSC did away with that rule that you couldn't have *anything* in your hands. A towel is hardly a good sighting aid.

• 3 weeks later...

I have that system also. Problem is, you still have to aim the darn thing and pull the trigger properly!

Yea, but it's the Beta version. We have already dropped that concept in favor of Laser integrated Google glasses, which presents a virtual re-animated reality of the stage, after recording the walk thru. Like the matrix, all you have to do is pull the trigger, aiming is corrected by the software in the glasses, and it has a real time feed back control loop. The break thru technology was nano composite titanium boron barrels (statically unstable, but dynamically stable), which are electrically stimulated by the software to 'bend' the barrel towards the A zone. Not quite like the last shot memory placement from the 5th Element, but that's the upgrade.........

Befor the rule changed people would buy an extra STI/SV grip and walk the stage

That's interesting. Based on what I have been told through official channels the primary intent of the rule is to not allow sights so that nobody gets an unfair advantage. So, if that's the case a grip should not make any more difference than holding a mag in hand?

Befor the rule changed people would buy an extra STI/SV grip and walk the stage

That's interesting. Based on what I have been told through official channels the primary intent of the rule is to not allow sights so that nobody gets an unfair advantage. So, if that's the case a grip should not make any more difference than holding a mag in hand?

Having lived through both rule revisions, you're partly correct Kevin. When IPSC changed the rule for the 2004 rulebook, that was indeed one of their concerns. We did not modify that particular rule; the 2004 rulebook was the last to have U.S. rule exemptions printed following a number of the rules.

For 2008 when we created our very own USPSA rulebook, the focus simply on preventing tapers and range officials from having to decide if the on deck shooter was using a prop or a real gun during their walk through. We didn't want anyone wondering. It was about safety, not sight pictures at that point....