Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Latest Holster Rule

Joe D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this part:

Holster Retention: ALL holsters must retain the weapon securely. The RSO’s can require that the shooter perform a forward and backward roll to test retention at any time. If the shooter cannot roll (for whatever reason) he can opt to remove the holster, wherein, the RSO will test the holster for retention by turning the holster upside down with the loaded weapon in it. If the weapon stays in the holster, you are good to go. If the gun falls out, you will receive a 20 second FTDR (Failure To Do Right) penalty

Maybe it's so when the RO flips your loaded-pistol-n-holster upside down and it falls on the ground there's less risk of dying?

Seriously, I don't get the "no JHP's on steel" mantra. They disintigrate better on hitting steel. That means frags, but much smaller and less effective ones, plus they follow the plane of the plate (which is bad if you have plates with right-angle feet, btw). FMJ's come off steel in big chunks and in more random directions. Ow.

Who is D.R. Middlebrooks? I do not know this guy, but I get a sense he may be a Tactical Ted/Mall Ninja type. I could be completely wrong, just a feeling I get from reading their Forum.

Do we really need another monarchy? Shades of IDPA.

I found their "logic" behind HP ammo. Makes no sense to me at all. People have been shooting steel targets with HPs for decades in IPSC and more recently IDPA.

All of that being said I do like some of their rules. The 100% behind cover rule is kind of dumb. I guess I cannot get shot while I am shooting from cover only when I am reloading.

Time will tell.

Who is D.R. Middlebrooks? I do not know this guy, but I get a sense he may be a Tactical Ted/Mall Ninja type. I could be completely wrong, just a feeling I get from reading their Forum.

Do we really need another monarchy? Shades of IDPA.

Joe, haven't you been here long enough to remember DRM?

Anyway. Google "fist-fire" then never mention it here again ;)

On the other hand Dave Sevigny and Daniel Horner beat me like a drum at the IDPA matches. I never paid much attention to Daniel Horner's grip, but I always thought Dave used "funny" grip. Must work for them.

I think the grip is like a reverse weaver. But I watched him at the TN match since we squaded together and I would say it appeared to me that he has evolved into more of a pure isoscelese. I certainly don't want this to erode into another DRM/FIST Fire thread.

I shot on the same squad as Daniel Horner at Steel Challenge. When he shoots it looks looks a heck of a lot like an aimed-fire Isoceles to me, but what do I know? It's the individual nuances that make a good grip great.

Of course there are also old pictures of Jack Weaver shooting what looks like an ISO stance too.. the whole bent-arm thing was so he could get 'bladed' to the target...

Don't make me post the 'stance is irrelevant' 50 AE videos again :D :D

RSO will test the holster for retention by turning the holster upside down with the loaded weapon in it. If the weapon stays in the holster, you are good to go. If the gun falls out, you will receive a 20 second FTDR (Failure To Do Right) penalty

And if the gun ADs when it hits the ground, and kills someone, it's a 25 second penalty.

Oy gevalt.

I like this part:

Holster Retention: ALL holsters must retain the weapon securely. The RSO’s can require that the shooter perform a forward and backward roll to test retention at any time. If the shooter cannot roll (for whatever reason) he can opt to remove the holster, wherein, the RSO will test the holster for retention by turning the holster upside down with the loaded weapon in it. If the weapon stays in the holster, you are good to go. If the gun falls out, you will receive a 20 second FTDR (Failure To Do Right) penalty

I may be new but this does seem incredibly dangerous...

Although my wife notes that a loaded weapon would have more weight and therefore might fall free differently than an un-loaded one?

:(

Ira

We were talking about that yesterday at the range.

FWIW, IDSA's test of having the shooter lean far forward seems to be a safer and easier to administer test.

Though I hammed up a match once and did a forward roll before drawing, so i know my holster would pass TSA's retention test. ;)

Ted

No, we had six shooters at the match (it was in 2.5' of snow) and I did the roll parralel to the firing line. Worked it out with the Md ahead of time.

Besides, gun was in the holster till afterwards. Never seen anyone DQ'ed for sweeping while the gun was in the hoslter. IF so, half the women shooters with FBI

tilt holsters would get DQ'ed the minute they LAMR.

Wouldn't DQ for someone tripping and falling down on his tummy while holstered? Would you?I'll guarantee he covered some people as he went down but there was no way the gun will go bang either.

Ted