Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

deconstructing Slowing Down

ErikW

I've always been troubled by seeing the term "slow down" used here, as it applies to the speed/accuracy shooting sports (IPSC, IDPA, Steel). Revisiting an old thread, I even saw two Grandmasters refer to slowing down.

Let's deconstruct this misnomer... What do you really mean when you say "slow down?" What changes do you make to your shooting technique when you are "slowing down?" When do you do this?

There are times when I feel like I'm amped up more than needed for a certain stage (typically low HF ones). I'll then start to think "slow down enough to see what you need to". Sorta like the stop plate on Smoke-&-Hope for example.. I've gotta gather myself in a bit (aka "slow down") before breaking that shot or it's the 2-shot tango.

I think this is related: This past season I noticed that my best stages (both time and HF) were the ones where I told myself that I wanted to shoot all A's; somehow by telling myself to shoot nothing but A's it caused a very relaxed state that was conducive to getting in the zone.

Slowing down for me is a change in state of mind more than an action. Generally speaking I try to run on the edge of knowing where each shot went, when I try to slow "down" I have do doubt where each shot went. Thus slowing down isn't actually a change in speed, it is a change in thought process and awareness. Most times (for me) "slowing down" actually produces faster times :)

Yes, to me slow down refers to mental processess rather than physical actions.

Those of us with undeveloped mental games have a humongous amount of information passing through our concius mind, most of which is "garble" or "noise", that is, useless information. This is hectic.

In order to shoot better, I need to "slow down" this mental flow of information by concentrating only in what's important for each shot.

I've been very, very few times in the zone, but I remember that when that happened, the concepts of "slow down" and "speed up" didn't even occured to me. When in that state there was nothing, no gun, no foot positioning, not even the conscious action of pulling the trigger; just sights and target.

Well I am guilty of using the term recently. I think its easy to try and shoot a stage soo fast that one does not take the time necessary to see what they need to see...visual patience and awareness. A shooter can get away with this on short easy stages, but on more difficult shots, things change. There does come a point where visually one would be unable to see all thats necessary if they are moving too fast. Therfore, by physically slowing down, one feels they will have the oppurtunity to guarantee a good sight pic, and a guaranteed A zone hit. This may not be the correct remedy, but I would say this is what most mean when they talk about slowing down.

What Jake and mcoliver said.

Fellow shooter said to me last year: "If you don't like what you see in your sight picture wait until you DO." (We're talking about an extra split-second or so here, but if that's what it takes to boost your score a few points here and a few points there, I'm willing to do it. And it worked).

Guest Larry Cazes

After 4 months, I am finally becoming comfortable with my new open setup. The result is that My last 2 local matches have been shot in overdrive. My execution and movement have been much faster than before and I find myself pushing a little too hard. The result is that my times are somewhat competitive but my accuracy has suffered and I'm making stupid mistakes that result in procedurals. To me, slowing down means doing everything fast EXCEPT breaking the shot. Slow down shooting and do everything else fast......That is the challenge.

Yes, to me slow down refers to mental processess rather than physical actions....

but I remember that when that happened, the concepts of "slow down" and "speed up" didn't even occured to me. When in that state there was nothing, no gun, no foot positioning, not even the conscious action of pulling the trigger; just sights and target.

That works for me.

"Slowing down" is purely a conceptual tool, which is beneficial due to the apparent emphasis on speed in IPSC-style shooting.

"Slowing down" has nothing to do with trying to physically slow down your movements, it's a way of "tricking yourself" to only do (in competition) what you have trained to do (in practice). This is necessary because our emotional states are very different in practice as opposed to a match; moreover, we do not acknowledge that difference.

I think for most of us, at the moment of "Stand By..." - we are mentally in high gear. But if you "leave the line" in fourth gear - well, you know what happens. Start simply, with your mind focused on one thing, and as the seconds go by you will smoothly transition from gear to gear.

I successfully triggered the state of "slow down" with key phrases:

Don't Rush (Sport psychologists won't like that one but it worked for me.)

Stop the gun before the firing the first shot

Maintain a state of visual patience

Reestablish a state of visual patience as you arrive at each new position.

See what you need to see, and you will be fast enough.

Shoot this stage at 90% of the speed you are capable of. (Experiment to see what that really means to you.)

The problem begins with a wrong or incomplete perspective: Speed is most important. And is compounded by the fact that we do not feel the same in a match as we do in practice. (A huge topic in and of itself.) When we're feeling the juice, we will try to go faster than if we were calmer, like we are in practice. So at the sacrifice of everything else, we think we need to go fast, then in the match we are so juiced up that it becomes extremely difficult not only to allow our body and vision to work together harmoniously (like we have trained them to in practice), but even to acknowledge that it is beneficial to make an effort to do so.

be

Yes, to me slow down refers to mental processess rather than physical actions....

but I remember that when that happened, the concepts of "slow down" and "speed up" didn't even occured to me. When in that state there was nothing, no gun, no foot positioning, not even the conscious action of pulling the trigger; just sights and target.

That works for me.

"Slowing down" is purely a conceptual tool, which is beneficial due to the apparent emphasis on speed in IPSC-style shooting.

"Slowing down" has nothing to do with trying to physically slow down your movements, it's a way of "tricking yourself" to only do (in competition) what you have trained to do (in practice). This is necessary because our emotional states are very different in practice as opposed to a match; moreover, we do not acknowledge that difference.

I think for most of us, at the moment of "Stand By..." - we are mentally in high gear. But if you "leave the line" in fourth gear - well, you know what happens. Start simply, with your mind focused on one thing, and as the seconds go by you will smoothly transition from gear to gear.

I successfully triggered the state of "slow down" with key phrases:

Don't Rush (Sport psychologists won't like that one but it worked for me.)

Stop the gun before the firing the first shot

Maintain a state of visual patience

Reestablish a state of visual patience as you arrive at each new position.

See what you need to see, and you will be fast enough.

Shoot this stage at 90% of the speed you are capable of. (Experiment to see what that really means to you.)

The problem begins with a wrong or incomplete perspective: Speed is most important. And is compounded by the fact that we do not feel the same in a match as we do in practice. (A huge topic in and of itself.) When we're feeling the juice, we will try to go faster than if we were calmer, like we are in practice. So at the sacrifice of everything else, we think we need to go fast, then in the match we are so juiced up that it becomes extremely difficult not only to allow our body and vision to work together harmoniously (like we have trained them to in practice), but even to acknowledge that it is beneficial to make an effort to do so.

be

Amen!

You are always so much more elloquent than I am :)

I didn't think there were so many ways to slow down. Cool!

To me, slowing down is just paying more attention to the fundamentals of shooting: better sight picture, better trigger control. Rarely does a whole stage require this; usually only an array or a few targets are the problem. (Far steel, partials, etc.) So it's something to do temporarily, I don't have to shoot the whole stage this way.

I hope I never use the term "slow down" again.

I'm slow enough already as far as general movement goes. The term I should have been using is "visual patience". After my 3rd reading of "the book", this concept finally took hold. I may not always practice proper visual patience, but I at least know what the problem is when my hits turn to crap.

I hope I never use the term "slow down" again.

Me too. It is hard to explain it to shooters in terms that seem clearer than "slow down" though.

the best way that I can think to say it is...

Speed is NOT a fundamental...it is just a by-product...a derivative of other, more fundamental, activities.

but I get in a hurry....

As an after the fact description, an exact sentence that worked for me was - I'm moving quickly but I'm not rushing.

I think for most, fighting the tendency to always rush is the IPSC shooters greatest, continuous challenge.

be

A simple analogy is the game of golf..Everyone who plays wants to hit the ball farther...So what do they do? They try and swing harder/faster, which leads to bad results. Tests have shown that if you have a player swing at their normal speed, then what they think is harder, the normal speed is usually faster..

True, a faster swing speed will help you hit the ball farther, but swinging harder is not the way to achieve it.

Is anyone making the connection?????

I shot a terrible match about a year ago, just seemed to rush the shots under some intense competition and squandered a lot of points.

Late in the game I just told myself to shoot the points on what was an easy shooting stage. It seemed like time stood still, but I came out of that stage with a clean run and the fastest time.

The battle is convincing yourself that what needs to be done is adequate, and if that fails to realise your objectives, look at your training regime.

P.D.

From day one of attempting this sport, I've heard the same thing over and over from the very patient people who are trying their best to improve my game.

SMOOTH IS FAST!!!

I can personally share that improving my game, and hit factor, has come by learning the speed at which I can shoot a stage.

Sure I can shoot as fast as the GM's, that is pulling the trigger, but zeroing stages by trying to "Push It" do tend to drive home the lesson.

My best performances, in competition and in practice, come when my primary focus is on executing my form correctly and not trying to accomplish a certain time on the clock.

It's been a hard lesson for me to learn, and I haven't mastered it yet, but results speak for themselves.

Ray

Yes, to me slow down refers to mental processess rather than physical actions.

I think of "slowing down" as using zanshin or "remaining mind."

"It also means going beyond technique, because we cannot force the situation to conform to the technique."

"It means leaving nothing behind and pushing nothing forward."

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. So, slow is fast. [Often heard saying at skydiving drop zones.] My other sport has many very interesting parallels to shooting. As inexperienced jumpers attempt a certain skill at the speed and complexity of a skygod, they usually fail miserably. Attempting the skill at a complex level isn't the problem if the fundamentals are there, attempting it at the speed is. When the skill is first attempted, the mind is working overtime to process the information. A point comes when overload hits and the mind shuts down information processing. They've set themselves up for failure.

Typically, someone who makes their first jump can only focus on a cone 12" in diameter and an arms length long. They may notice blue above and green below but thats it. A beginning shooter is experiencing information overload during his first few matches. The result is lots of Mikes and zeroed stages. As the jumpers skill set is developed that cone gets larger in diameter and longer. They are training the mind to discard information inputs and processing that isn't needed to make room for information inputs and processing that are needed. Same thing with shooters.

For me, 'slow down' means quit trying hard, pushing, going beyond your limits, hitting information overload. Backing off a few clicks allows your mind to just 'do', no thinking involved. The chance of falling off the edge and making an error is reduced. Practice days is when I push the envelope, expanding the skill set. I've noticed that when I work a skill (skydiving or shooting) at 90% of my ability thats it's like yawn, I can do this all day long. At 100% I'm working and the mind is busy, the diaster factor is high. Going beyond is required to advance but you will stumble. Eventually, what you could do now at 95% is what you could do before at 100%.

Our team coach had one of the best lines concerning competition. "The team that is going to win is the one that is going to make the fewest mistakes. Slow down and make fewer mistakes."