Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New multigun reticle option in the Leupold VX-6

wtturn

For best results, the CM-R2 reticle should be zeroed at 200 meters using M855 5.56mm NATO/.223 Remington ammunition producing a muzzle velocity of 2810 fps with 62 grain FMJ bullets.

Someone should have told Leupold M855 isn't the best ammo for 3-gun :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave Gundry

• 2 weeks later...

I know the multi gun market isn't the biggest but with as much money as leupold puts into supporting the sport, shooters and all you'd think they would actually build a reticle off of input from their many shooters. I guess this reticle/ammo combo would work but it's not going to steal the market from vortex or Swarovski.

I've wondered that for a while. I guess your just spoiled by Vortex being so in tune with the competitive shooting market. All the Vortex guys I've talked to shoot competition in one sport or another, I think that makes a huge difference in how they design their products.

My friend is a dealer and I can get this new scope at cost, but is it worth it or should I just get the vortex razor?

Depends what cost is. I'd take this over the Razor for $700.

Jesse, may I ask: would you take the standard circle dot, Firedot VX6 1-6 for $700 over the Vortex for $1,200?

My friend is a dealer and I can get this new scope at cost, but is it worth it or should I just get the vortex razor?

Depends what cost is. I'd take this over the Razor for $700.
Jesse, may I ask: would you take the standard circle dot, Firedot VX6 1-6 for $700 over the Vortex for $1,200?

That's right on the edge. A bdc reticle is very nice if you plane to shoot past 300 very often.

I have a VX-6 - I wish they came out with this reticle earlier. It also looks like it utilizes different illumination than the older VX-6. Besides the reticle, I am happy with it - I'm going to try and call the custom shop and get it switched, which may not be feasible given the illumination.

• 2 weeks later...

The question I have about the VX6 1-6 CMR2 is with regard to the illumination. Will it have something like the Firedot illumination in either the centerdot or the entire horseshoe, or is it the same level of illumination that is on something like the MK4 MR/T 1.5-5? Did anyone handle one of these at SHOT? Also, is the CMR2 horseshoe bold enough to use without illumination?

The question I have about the VX6 1-6 CMR2 is with regard to the illumination. Will it have something like the Firedot illumination in either the centerdot or the entire horseshoe, or is it the same level of illumination that is on something like the MK4 MR/T 1.5-5? Did anyone handle one of these at SHOT? Also, is the CMR2 horseshoe bold enough to use without illumination?

The answer from Leupold:

The Multigun CMR-2 does use firedot technology so only the dot will be illuminated. We expect these scopes to be in distribution March 1st.

After having called Leupold, it turns out the my VX6 can have the reticle switched to the CMR2. However, they did say the illumination is different than the Firedot, and more similar to the MK6. I'm not sure who to believe but the reticle change alone will be a vast improvement on an already very good scope. I'm going to be sending it off sometime in the next few weeks.

As for the VX6 to Vortex comparison - they each have their pros/cons. The Vortex is a bit "flatter" with a ridiculously huge FOV, but the VX6 is a lighter and much more compact. They both have large forgiving eyeboxes and excellent glass.

I have a couple of VX-6's with the fire dot SPR, I don't have any trouble at all hitting targets out past 300 with that reticle... I also have a MK-6 and that illumintaion takes quite a bit of getting used to. It seems to flicker on and off. The FFP also really seems to mess me up on long targets. I probably need more time behind it. The Vortex is great but weighs a TON The MK-6 and the VX-6 are both very light weight. I can tell you if this: The answer from Leupold: The Multigun CMR-2 does use firedot technology so only the dot will be illuminated. is true, a .5moa dot is really small and will be pretty much worthless for very close fast targets

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think about this VX-6 over the Mark 4 1.5x5 20mm or the Trijicon Accupoint 1x4 24mm? I've had the mark 4 on my wish list for a year now but I can't imagine the VX-6 is worth $700 more.

I'll tell you as soon as I get mine (been on order for 2 wks). I'm currently running the Mark 4 1.5-5, 1" tube, non-illuminated. I've had the illuminated version in the past and specifically got this one because (1) the illumination isn't daytime bright and therefore not worth the price/weight, and (2) this one has capped turrets.

What do you guys think about this VX-6 over the Mark 4 1.5x5 20mm or the Trijicon Accupoint 1x4 24mm? I've had the mark 4 on my wish list for a year now but I can't imagine the VX-6 is worth $700 more.

I'll tell you as soon as I get mine (been on order for 2 wks). I'm currently running the Mark 4 1.5-5, 1" tube, non-illuminated. I've had the illuminated version in the past and specifically got this one because (1) the illumination isn't daytime bright and therefore not worth the price/weight, and (2) this one has capped turrets.

I'm very interested to read your review of the new VX-6.

After continuing to be curious about this scope I called Leupold since they're supposed to be shipping now and literally just got off the phone with them. The CMR2 version of the VX-6 1-6 Multigun does NOT use Firedot illumination. It is a glass reticle and has illumination "similar to the Mark 4 and Mark 6." Also, per the rep putting me on hold and checking with one of Leupold's reticle engineers, both the horseshoe and the center dot are illuminated.

I'm not sure what to think/feel about it at this point. I've already told my LGS to order one for me. I haven't given them any money. They're not sure when it will ship. Part of me says wait it out and see. Hope you can flip it without taking too much of a hit if it doesn't work out. The other part of me says tell them to cancel it and buy something else. Anybody seen one yet? Is the new Mark 4 illumination really as bright as the Mark 6? I assume this will also carry the Mark 6's flickering issues with eye alignment too.

I will have the reticle in my VX-6 switched sometime in the next 4-6 weeks, pending Leupold turn-over time. The illumination change that I heard from the Leupold rep concurs with A5H556 - it is the MK4/6 illumination type, not the FireDot.

We have had one of these at the office for about five weeks now. It has the same style illumination as the Mark 4/6 scopes. The horseshoe and the dot are illuminated. It's not daylight visible, at least about the same as the Mark 6 is. Also to note, the BDC is only accurate at 6x. The reticle is nice and big at 1x though, unlike the Mark 6.

Doesn't it bother anyone that the BDC is in meters instead of yards?

It's called the metric system. In Europe, a 1/4 pounder is called a Royale with Cheese.

But in all seriousness, I prefer a BDC in metric.

Doesn't it bother anyone that the BDC is in meters instead of yards?

Considering the BDC has a snowballs chance in hell of perfectly matching your loads in meters or yards, it really shouldn't cause a great amount of lost sleep.