Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New multigun reticle option in the Leupold VX-6

wtturn

We have had one of these at the office for about five weeks now. It has the same style illumination as the Mark 4/6 scopes. The horseshoe and the dot are illuminated. It's not daylight visible, at least about the same as the Mark 6 is. Also to note, the BDC is only accurate at 6x. The reticle is nice and big at 1x though, unlike the Mark 6.

Hi Chuck,

I found the Mk6 1-6x illumination daylight visible. Are you saying that the VX6 CMR2 isn't up to the same standard?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the custom shop switch my vx6 firedot spr to the cmr2. Will have to zero it in again but i like it just from snapping it up and going prone. I didnt like the reticle going across the entire fov on the spr. Turnaround time was right on 30days from me dropping it off at post office to ups knocking on my door.

We have had one of these at the office for about five weeks now. It has the same style illumination as the Mark 4/6 scopes. The horseshoe and the dot are illuminated. It's not daylight visible, at least about the same as the Mark 6 is. Also to note, the BDC is only accurate at 6x. The reticle is nice and big at 1x though, unlike the Mark 6.

Hi Chuck,

I found the Mk6 1-6x illumination daylight visible. Are you saying that the VX6 CMR2 isn't up to the same standard?

I had my reticle switched out and really like it, but compared to the original plain Red dot,with other VX-6 the horseshoe is NON-existent in any kind of sunlight.

Chiming in since owning some of the related scopes mentioned in this post; Razor, Swaro, M4 w/CMR2 and the VX6MG w/ CMR2 (no M6) .... Razor has all the elements except for the weight, the Swaro except for the cost, and the M4 CMR2 is not a true 1X. Note: actually enjoy using the M4 because the glass is awesome but illumination is not really an option ...... which bring us to the VX6MG with CMR2. Personally, I like the CMR2 reticle an use it without the illumination even close up .... (that VX6 push button thing is not user friendly). The CMR2 upgrade does improve the VX6 but unfortunately, there are still other things the VX6MG lacks as a total package. Since so many of us spend a lot of money just to shave a second or two, the speed a good crisp dot (Razor/Swaro) is worth the cost. Although if your not in it to shaving some time, than buy the discounted scopes and be happy. In conclusion, Leupold makes an awesome product, their service is outstanding, and owning several of their scopes, I really like their products ....... though for 3G, first choice would be the Swaro or the Razor, in that order.

• 1 month later...

Finally zeroed and ran a 3gun match with the new reticle. Worth every penny to make the switch in my opinion.

Zeroing was great, it was nice to be able to see the target at 200 yards without covering up the entire thing and wondering if im lined up correctly. I felt i couldnt do that with the previous reticle. I could just be a bad shot, who knows. I was able to get my group under moa at 200. Had bullet holes touching at 100 and even with a rushed shot that opened up the group i was still under moa.

Match day i found that when hosing close to moderate distance targets the horseshoe was all i used, then when it was time for a bit more precision on difficult shots i hyper focused on the center dot and got my hits rather fast. I never turned the illumination on, did need it but for S&Gs i tried it while in the safe area....could barely tell it was on. Again didnt need it.

For me the reticle is fast to get lined up. A couple nights worth of snapping the rifle up got me acclimated to it. Even managed to pull out an all rifle stage win.

• 2 months later...

Can someone please tell Leupold to get it together! I really would prefer to purchase their products, however I think we all know they lack in a few areas. First being reticle design. how hard is it to produce an uncomplicated 3gun reticle? With that said, I am totally fine with meters since that is all I use.

wouldn't hpbt 69gn bullets at 2810fps match this just right?

Yes

This scope is light weight, eye relief is great and as with all Leupolds, great glass. But, if you want a scope with only crosshairs and 2 bullet drop lines, then you might feel overwhelmed with the amount of "information" this reticle offers

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the reticle on mine switched from the German #4 to the CMR-2. It is a huge improvement overall. The horseshoe is nice and fast for close stuff, and the center dot is actually very small which makes it useful for a higher level of precision. The one downside is that the illumination is not nearly as good as the Firedot that it replaces, at least for raw daylight visibility. It illuminates the horseshoe and dot. Despite that it is still a WAYYY better reticle, both for speed and precision. I don't find it needlessly complicated, the horseshoe stands out well and you don't notice the other stuff hardly at all.

I am happy with it overall. If I had to pay $1300 for it though, I would find another option.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot the VX-6 more this weekend. It was mostly for load workup on my 308 AR. The fine center dot made multiple >1 inch groups easily possible, and the horseshoe doesn't needlessly obscure the target. While I used it mostly without the illumination, it was overcast and it worked great when I tried some drills close up.