Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

bceglinski

No smoke, no lube to gunk up your dies, no smoke, cleaner to handle, no smoke, Glocks can't shoot plain lead because of the rifling, no smoke, some indoor ranges don't allow plain led because of contamination, and last but not least, no smoke.

That sucks about the smell. Was looking forward to trying out Bayous but since I shoot mostly indoors, the smell eliminates the possibility of me using them. Black Bullets price is about the same as Xtreme so I may as well stay with Xtreme.

Not sure why u r getting smoke with titegroup and coated bullets I have shot a few thousand with titegroup and hardly any smoke...

Post a video of you shooting them. I'll bet there is more smoke than you think. "Hardly any smoke" means different things to different people. :) I have not tried a coated bullet of any brand that does not smoke more than a plated or jacketed bullet. Some more and some less, but none of them fall into the category of "hardly any smoke" yet.

Titegroup+ coated bullets=smoke and lots of it.

Bruce

I load 147 9mm Blue Bullets with Tightgroup. No smoke, very accurate (most accurate round I've shoot out of my STI Eagle)I don't notice any funny smells.

Buy a sample bag or two and try them out.

Sarge; you start the replies with "No smoke, no lube to gunk up your dies, no smoke, cleaner to handle, no smoke, Glocks can't shoot plain lead because of the rifling, no smoke, some indoor ranges don't allow plain led because of contamination, and last but not least, no smoke."; and then post #16 makes me think you've been "drinkin' and postin' " , but I don't know which post you were drinkin" when you made it. Little help here. :roflol:

Not sure why u r getting smoke with titegroup and coated bullets I have shot a few thousand with titegroup and hardly any smoke...

Post a video of you shooting them. I'll bet there is more smoke than you think. "Hardly any smoke" means different things to different people. :) I have not tried a coated bullet of any brand that does not smoke more than a plated or jacketed bullet. Some more and some less, but none of them fall into the category of "hardly any smoke" yet.

Sarge; you start the replies with "No smoke, no lube to gunk up your dies, no smoke, cleaner to handle, no smoke, Glocks can't shoot plain lead because of the rifling, no smoke, some indoor ranges don't allow plain led because of contamination, and last but not least, no smoke."; and then post #16 makes me think you've been "drinkin' and postin' " , but I don't know which post you were drinkin" when you made it. Little help here. :roflol:

"smoking" is quite perception based. I almost solely shoot Coated Bullets, I do have some Xtremes plated and that is mostly so I can use my Titegroup. I really like coated bullets and they do smoke a lot less than Lead bullets. I heard / was told / read that this new Hi-Tek coating would not smoke with Titegroup... I was jumping up and down happy, because I had a lot of TG and was hoping to quit buying Jacketed bullets.

I got my first case of Coated (new Hi-Tek, not the old moly) and loaded up a few hundred with Titegroup (9mm 147gr). We just happened to be having a match that upcoming weekend, but I wanted to shoot by 1911 45, so I asked my friend if he would shoot these new Coated 9mm bullets for me. The 9mm loads with TG smoked like a freight train (IMO). My friend shooting them didn't even notice it :) , it was a little breezy that day and the smoke was wisked away by the slight breeze and never interfered with his line of sight / point of aim. He liked the load, but he didn't see any of the smoke either.

As for my standard load, it is a Coated 45acp 200gr with WST, it does not smoke, but I haven't tried loading any with TG (yet).

I do still have a few of the new coated bullets 9mm 147gr loaded with TG, I will do my best to film it. Our range is privately owned, and the owners shut the range down during the month January for hunting, so it would be February before I have an opportunity to get in a practice session. I will try to film some of the shooting then.

In general, my opinion of Coated bullets are very favorable, I just wouldn't load them with TG unless I didn't have any other options.

yeah I need to see if I can edit that to "less smoke". But compared to bare lead which smokes so bad you have to have a nice breeze to be able to see the targets.......

LESS smoke, no lube to gunk up your dies, LESS smoke, cleaner to handle, LESS smoke, Glocks can't shoot plain lead because of the rifling, LESS smoke, some indoor ranges don't allow plain leads because of contamination, and last but not least, LESS smoke.

THAT's the best fix I could do

Currently using BBI's and have been very pleased. I can't speak to the Titegroup deal because I have not had occasion to use it with any coated.

Bayou's have worked extremely well and were accurate. I only noticed just a hint of odd smell once in awhile. Nothing that objectionable at all, but smells vaguely like burnt wires. I used some stinky shotgun powders over the years, and this faint smell doesn't bother me.

I have heard that the distinctive odor comes from incomplete curing of the coating used, but can't confirm that.

I like these coated bullets. Order up a few sample paks and see what you guys think.

I've used Bayou Bullets for a long time and then switched back to SNS when they started offering coated bullets. I've shot tens of thousands, good bullets, a lot less smoke than lead.

I was loading with 231/HP38 powder and in certain conditions was still getting some smoke, enough in humid, still conditions with the sun in your face to obscure the targets.

I switched to VV N320 and that solved that problem, although at a higher cost.