Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No, You REALLY DO Want the Four Wheel Drive

rhino

When I was acquiring the truck I drive, there seemed to be no need for four wheel drive. After all, how often does a guy really need it?

So last year, BigDave and I were at the range when it was cold in the morning, but the sun arrived and warmed the air (and ground) rapidly. The spot where I'd pulled behind the shooting benches had been relatively solid, but when we tried to leave, it was mud city. It took a little while and lots of "rocking," but we finally made it out of there under our own power. The ground, however, was not so lucky.

Really, I could have used four wheel drive then, but that's never going to happen again, right?

Today I went to my buddy Granger's house for a visit and we decided to do a little shooting on the range he has behind his house. I was concerned it might be too muddy to drive back there, but we decided it would be okay. And it was. On the trip out.

On the way back, though, I got stuck in the yard behind his house. I thought I might rock my way free again, but I couldn't get even enough traction to move the few inches you need to rock back and forth.

It took a lot of digging, boards under the tires, pushing, a tiny SUV with a tow rope behind, and many, many attempts to get me free in about two hours.

So ... how often do you need four wheel drive to justify having it? After today, I'm thinking that if you really, really need it just one time over the lifespan of the vehicle, it's worth it.

Getting stuck in the mud sucks.

On the other hand, having a friend that will work that hard to get you free is priceless.

You always only use two wheel drive and go as far as you can.  Then you put it in 4wd and BACK UP.....

Damn. You beat me to the punch on this one, Merlin.

2WD is what you use to get in.

4WD is what you use to get out.

huh, i didnt have a problem getting out at the last match when the hill was solid ice. there were a few 4wd trucks that had to take a few runs at the hill to get out. i got out first try, no spinning. Now if it were mud, i would be screwed.

I do okay on ice and snow due to the inordinate amount of mass over the rear wheels. This does not help in mud, and I think it makes it worse!

Must ... get ... four wheel ... drive.

Of course, my current truck must continue to carry my carcass until it can do so no more. I'd better avoid the mud for a while ...

You guys never heard of a winch?

Hey! Don't call my girlfriend a winch! She doesn't even work in a tavern!

BTDT Rhino. Get a 4x4 the chicks dig'em.

Call the people at "Pimp my Ride" see if they can do a little conversion.

Oh, yeah!

4x4 is the best two grand you will ever spend. Without it I would still be stuck in Indiana on I-64. I was one of the few folks that escaped that area. Many, many had to leave their vehicles on the road for two more days. I drove a lot of miles in 4 wheel before I got to Louisville on Christmas Day. The wife says we will never be without it in the future.

geezer

Roads? We don't need no stinkin' roads!

ALWAYS have a Handyman jack, a shovel, and tire chains. Don't chain up until after you are stuck. Chains are only fer gettin' out. The Handyman jack is so you can jack the truck up and get it off the damn big rock under your skid plate. If you keep jacking up and kicking the truck sideways about 10 times you eventually get it pointed back where you came from. When you get stuck bad enough, far enough in, you have time to invent all kinds of Rube Goldberg devices to get back out.

Discovering the extra U-Joints you hid behind the seat will make you feel a whole lot smarter than whatever it was that you did to cause you to need them.

Roads? We don't need no stinkin' roads!

ALWAYS have a Handyman jack, a shovel, and tire chains. Don't chain up until after you are stuck. Chains are only fer gettin' out. The Handyman jack is so you can jack the truck up and get it off the damn big rock under your skid plate. If you keep jacking up and kicking the truck sideways about 10 times you eventually get it pointed back where you came from. When you get stuck bad enough, far enough in, you have time to invent all kinds of Rube Goldberg devices to get back out.

Discovering the extra U-Joints you hid behind the seat will make you feel a whole lot smarter than whatever it was that you did to cause you to need them.

Yes! 10-4 on the Handyman Jack - a wonderful creation! I popped for a couple of yank straps and a Warn 9500 also. ;)

If your out in an area where you feel you very well may get "stuck" it helps to have a couple of cases of beer also. One case for you to dull the pain and another as bait for the driver of the first 4x that comes along with a big bumper!

Is a Handyman a version of the Hi-Lift?

A big honking 2" x 4'+ steel I beam with round holes about every 2" and a 30" handle - that will tear your jaw off if you don't pay attention?? If that sounds like the High Lift - yes... Actually I MAY have the high lift.. Had it for 25 years and I really can't even remember what color it originally was.

My jack has truely seen the elephant.

Is a Handyman a version of the Hi-Lift?

A big honking 2" x 4'+ steel I beam with round holes about every 2" and a 30" handle - that will tear your jaw off if you don't pay attention?? If that sounds like the High Lift - yes... Actually I MAY have the high lift.. Had it for 25 years and I really can't even remember what color it originally was.

My jack has truely seen the elephant.

In these parts a HI-lift/Handyman jack is called a "cotton trailer jack" and there is at least one in the bed of every truck in town.

geezer

get at look at one here:

http://www.hi-lift.com/jacks_main.htm