Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

last round not feeding

gunner40sw

I have 9mm STI mags with grams follower and spring and a STI base pad. Two of the mags have steel spacers and the third does not. All the mags do not feed the last round and the slide locks open. Now I have a stock STI mag and follower and it feeds fine and it feeds the last round. So what is the problem and where do I start to fix it. I am running these in a STI edge.

Can you be a little more specific on the failure to feed? Is the round going nose down into the feed ramp?

Since it is locking open on the last round, check to make sure the follower is not contacting the slide stop. I had this issue with my SVI mags. A little work with a file on the slide stop and the problem went away.

Edited after re-reading the problem

Edited by Rob1125

You didn't say what type of gun, but I'll assume a 2011 type. Are you loading the cartridges longer than standard? And do you have a regular slide lock meant to lock the slide back? If yes, I'm guessing the last round's nose is hitting the slide stop and locking back your slide.

Similiar thing happened in my .40 2011. The gun was set up to not lock the slide open for limited didvision. But here in NY we're now stuck to L10. So I figured I'd replace the modified slide stop, with a factory one meant to lock the slide back. But I was using my same loads loaded to 1.2". The nose on the last round in mag kept hitting the slide stop up, and locking open the slide prematurely. So it was either go back to the modified slide stop, or load my rounds shorter.

Can you be a little more specific on the failure to feed? Is the round going nose down into the feed ramp?

Since it is locking open on the last round, check to make sure the follower is not contacting the slide stop..

+1 Probably either the follower is hitting the slide stop or in some cases, the round itself can hit it (but not as likely with 9mm).

Edited by bountyhunter

Take a little off the bottom of the slide stop where the follower pushes up on the slide stop. This was the cure for my Eagle

that was leaving one round in the magazine. Used a small flat file took a few try's but that's what fixed the problem.

I have 9mm STI mags with grams follower and spring and a STI base pad. Two of the mags have steel spacers and the third does not. All the mags do not feed the last round and the slide locks open. Now I have a stock STI mag and follower and it feeds fine and it feeds the last round. So what is the problem and where do I start to fix it. I am running these in a STI edge.

On the Grams follower, you need to dremel off the little ledge on the front of the follower to allow it to clear the slide stop. Of course that assumes you don't want your slide to lock back at all. All of mine are set up like that.

Thanks for all of the info I will go to work on it and see if I can fix it

Great suggestions from many here.

I'll offer one more. Take the slide off the pistol. Put the slide stop back into the frame and slowly insert the magazine into the frame. This will allow you to see exactly what is going on. As has been mentioned, the follower is probably pushing the slide stop up. And as it has also been mentioned already, you can either trim the follower or dress the bottom of the slide stop or buy a slide stop that has already been dressed.

Good luck to you!

Edited by JMike

• 1 month later...

Just went through the same thing. First do like the guy said about remove the slide install the slide lock pin and see if the follower clears the slide lock. Found I had to put one of those little sanding drums on my dremel tool and take a little off the side and little off the bottom. However that didn't do enough. The mags need a little tuning. Check to make sure the top of mag rails are .350 to .355 apart also the section in front of the mags where nose of the follower comes up will usually need a little bending in. The two curved sections which is up in the bullet area need to be brought in till about 0.60 away from sides. That will keep the nose of follower down and then will work fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...