Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera Drones ?

Thanks Sgt-- The thread I found was a discussion about the use of them at a match. I'd rather be shooting than piloting :-)

Before this turns into a pro vs con discussion--

I'm just looking to visit with someone who owns a couple to see if they like what they bought etc. That's why its in this sub-forum and not a shooting -related sub-forum

• 3 months later...

Nothing on this? I am in the market and want something between a hardcore pro version and a toy. Seems a lot of the cheaper ones use WiFi and that is not going to get the job done.

Return to home would be nice.

720FPS

20 Min FT

Panic Hover mode

Replacement parts available.

No, I don't want this at all for shooting, unless I get PO and shoot IT. :-)

I want it to survey my own property.

RT

Not a camera drone but it saw this the other day and think it could be great for capturing USPSA action http://shop.soloshot.com

I've been looking at those, the only issue I see is the TAG looks a little bulky to strap onto a competitors belt, it would be ok for videoing yourself but if like me, your trying to video every shooter on a stage then I'd need to remove it so it co be attached to the next competitor.

Edited by BritinUSA

DJI Phantom is the way to go for higher end consumer. It has the return to home. It can be upgraded to run live action video from the camera.

The only problem with it is that it isn't as modular as some so it you do crash, finding a replacement exo is hard to do

• 3 weeks later...

DJI Phantom is the way to go for higher end consumer. It has the return to home. It can be upgraded to run live action video from the camera.

The only problem with it is that it isn't as modular as some so it you do crash, finding a replacement exo is hard to do

There is also a great aftermarket base for the dji which is great when it comes time for repairs, accessories or mods. I flew my fathers and it was sweet. I had the parrot ar drone which is more of a toy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on DJI.

I bought a good but still-toy-level drone (a Blade QX-180) just to play with. Lots of fun, especially chasing the dog around the family room. But without a camera and without real auto-control integration, kinda boring.

Upgraded to a Dromida Ominus (about $180). Better. Still have to constantly "fly" it, but it has a first-person view (FPV) camera that lets you see the world from its perspective in real-time, plus record 720p video.

Then came into a "broken" DJI Phantom-2 "Vision". Previous owner had crashed it, broke the camera gimbal but everything else still worked. Flies great, camera works, records video and takes 12mp stills, everything is good except the camera is fixed in place rather than "staying level" as the drone moves. The major thing I love about the DJI, though, is that it is "smart". It has GPS and compass integrated into it so... it "hovers in place" when you take your hands off the controls, it "returns to home" if you screw up or it loses its connection. You can even pre-program GPS waypoints into it and it will take off, fly the route and land, all automagically.

There are super deals on Phantom-2s now that the Phantom 3 is out. Highly recommend.

Lily - 20 min flight time, no removeable battery and 2 hour charge. That killed it for me but the Lily is very very cool concept that will be the future of these things if regulators can keep their hands off of them.

Lily - 20 min flight time, no removeable battery and 2 hour charge. That killed it for me but the Lily is very very cool concept that will be the future of these things if regulators can keep their hands off of them.

The thing that takes Lily out for me is that the camera is programmed to track the sensor. Put the sensor on your belt, you'll always be in frame. No other meaningful controls (if I understand it correctly, you can't re-orient the drone to point the camera another direction).

makes it great for selfies, useless for pretty much any other kind of photo or video.

• 3 weeks later...

I built one. It is the DJI 550. It is much bigger. I actually was trying to sell it a while back but decided to keep it after a while.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t778501p1/

It has a go pro on a gimbal that is stabilized. Takes great video. Flies for about 8 minutes. I can control the camera angle from my remote. It has return to home. And it works great. When I was heavy into flyng RC helis before I got into shooting. My friends and I had several of them.

• 2 months later...

We had two or three very major structure fires in our urban area over the past year (two just this summer!), and some local drone operators saw to it we had exceptional news video of these dangerous and freaky events. They've been handy out in the wildfire areas we're being troubled with "up here" as well, and have proven handy in other, similar applications.

Then there was that guy who attached a handgun to one of them and fired it--repeatedly. Scary. :surprise: I was rather surprised the recoil had so little effect on the drone in flight.

Sig,

We have had several situations with drones here around the fires, where they have grounded the Air Tankers and Helicopters. I can see the applications, but having worked wildland fires a fair bit, they should be kept out of the area (IMHO).

I would love to have one on the range during a major match for publicity videos and such, also it might be a hoot to use it for spotting the long range targets on a multi-gun match.