Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Only Federal?

Smitty79

Every time I read another trigger job post or revolver rework post, people give the spring specs for all other primers and then tell what you can do if you only use Federal primers.

Federal primers seem very hard to find. And when I can find them, they are more expensive than other name brands.

Why aren't other primer manufacturers making softer primers? It seems like it would be easy for Winchester or CCI... to make a "Lite" primer. They could probably get an extra few cents per hundred to pay for their effort. I'd love to lighten my DA pull a bit more if I knew I had a reliable source of primers that would go bang.

Edited by Smitty79

tl;dr: look harder

If you have a DA/SA gun or a round gun, it's a fairly straightforward procedure to tune the mainspring to ignite whatever kind of primer you've got. If you can only swing Winchester, hey, you might wind up needing another half pound to pound on the trigger to get it to ignite reliably. You may also try stuff like bobbing or skeletonizing the hammer.

As for other primer manufacturers, there are a couple of things that affect how easy it is to set off a primer. One of them is the cup itself and the other is the priming compound. It would take more than a little bit of doing to figure out something more sensitive, and on top of that, to market it. The demand just isn't there.

I understand finely tuned revised needing federal SPP to be 100% but there is no reason to set up a production gun that needs them. I had a very light setup in my 34 and now do in my XDM and both of them run on anything I stick in there

I'm not much for the cold weather either, but sometimes we get lucky over here with the powder and primer situation.

Just hooked up the dogs to the sled and rode up to the corner and picked up some more Federal SRP's.

You have to brush the snow off of them, but they work just fine.

Best of luck.

Smitty79, Move to Ohio,

We've got LOTS of Federals here.

Bought some recently ON SALE $23.95/1000.

Yup, though I really can't figure out why they have to make their boxes so big. I bought 4-5k of the CCI primers when they were on sale so when the Federals were on sale I only bought another 2-3k. Wish they had put their LPP on sale in addition to the SPP.

Smitty79, Move to Ohio,

We've got LOTS of Federals here.

Bought some recently ON SALE $23.95/1000.

Yup, though I really can't figure out why they have to make their boxes so big. I bought 4-5k of the CCI primers when they were on sale so when the Federals were on sale I only bought another 2-3k. Wish they had put their LPP on sale in addition to the SPP.

The reason the federal boxes are larger is due to UPS and their fire testing. Federals in their old packaging failed the test because they propagated, i.e. KFB. :devil:

Jay

...it's easy to forget that USPSA shooters looking for soft primers (mainly Production and Revolver shooters) are a small subset of USPSA shooters who are already a tiny subset of the firearms market as a whole.

I've been running CCI Small Rifle Primers in my XDM and that's with the PowderRiverPrecision light trigger/striker spring. No issues at all.