Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Case lube

All this stuff seems way to complicated and a time waster. I'll just get the Dillon and have more time for reloading or shooting.

Currently, it's more complicating to find powder locally than the alchol/lanolin locally.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is where I got my case lube ingredients. 16:1 seems good. Much more that that seems to greasy.

For rifle I lube on a cookie tray, size on a single stage RC, then trim, swage, if needed, then wet tumble again to de-lube and debur. Then load with a univeral decapping die in position #1.

For pistol, I use carbide sizing die and spray my case lube on a folded shop towel. About every third or fourth round I rub my fingers on the shop towel then as I'm getting a case out of the bin I rub the lanolin on to it. You will be able to tell how often you need to rub the rag, when the effort increases a bit. It make the loading go so smooth.

Go here for lanolin

Go here for 99% Isopropol Acohol

Reasonably priced but they do charge for shipping.

I use Midway's Franford Arsenal case polish in my walnut media. Works well and similar to Dillon product.

Hope this helps, just trying to pay back a little knowledge as I've learned so much from this board.

I hope this helps.

Edited by overdriv

I'm relatively new to reloading and have never used anything other than homemade lanolin lube. The mix is around 16:1, but my application technique is different from what most seem to be doing.

I use a 2 gallon zip-lock bag and spray the inside 2 or 3 times. Then dump in the brass, seal it up and roll the brass around inside with the bag on a towel and my hand on top. I'll flip the bag once or twice to redistribute the brass and roll some more. The brass is then dumped out into a large plastic cake carrier to dry. By spraying into the bag I don't have to worry about overspray getting on everything.

The first time with a new bag takes an extra squirt of lube, or if I clean out the bag. To clean the bag I'll give it a spray of straight alcohol and wipe it out with a rag. I only clean the bag when it starts to need it. A bag lasts for about 10-15 uses, cleaned once or twice. I do about 200 9mm cases at a time.

Started this way with 9mm. Have recently used the same technique when resizing some .223 down to .300blk without problem.

I'm relatively new to reloading and have never used anything other than homemade lanolin lube. The mix is around 16:1, but my application technique is different from what most seem to be doing.

I use a 2 gallon zip-lock bag and spray the inside 2 or 3 times. Then dump in the brass, seal it up and roll the brass around inside with the bag on a towel and my hand on top. I'll flip the bag once or twice to redistribute the brass and roll some more. The brass is then dumped out into a large plastic cake carrier to dry. By spraying into the bag I don't have to worry about overspray getting on everything.

The first time with a new bag takes an extra squirt of lube, or if I clean out the bag. To clean the bag I'll give it a spray of straight alcohol and wipe it out with a rag. I only clean the bag when it starts to need it. A bag lasts for about 10-15 uses, cleaned once or twice. I do about 200 9mm cases at a time.

Started this way with 9mm. Have recently used the same technique when resizing some .223 down to .300blk without problem.

Welcome to the Forums. That's a very informative first post. I've got to try it out. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the Forums. That's a very informative first post. I've got to try it out. Thanks for the info.

I used to use a gallon ziploc as well but found a 99 cent plastic shoe box instead. This way I scoop a few hundred in the box and shake the S#!t out of it then blow it out with a compressor, repeat as needed. Then shift the brass to one side and spray the lube in the box and shake the S#!t out of it again. Dump in case feeder and enjoy loading as if you are literally not even sizing the brass! As an added benny, this eliminated the pesky media that kept falling out of the case feeder onto the bench!

I used to use a gallon ziploc as well but found a 99 cent plastic shoe box instead. This way I scoop a few hundred in the box and shake the S#!t out of it then blow it out with a compressor, repeat as needed. Then shift the brass to one side and spray the lube in the box and shake the S#!t out of it again. Dump in case feeder and enjoy loading as if you are literally not even sizing the brass! As an added benny, this eliminated the pesky media that kept falling out of the case feeder onto the bench!

There is almost always some media in my lubing bowl. It tends to stick to the sides/bottom as a result of the residual lube.

Since everyone is sharing their technique, I use an older plastic bowl. I spray 1-2 pumps into the empty bowl (depends on how much I am loading), throw in the brass and then flip the bowl to circulate the brass (similar to flipping an omelet in a pan). After circulating the brass good, I'll let it sit a bit as the alcohol evaporates some and I do any other prep I need to get done then dump the brass into the case feeder when I am ready to get started. I use the same technique whether using One Shot for pistol or homemade lanolin mix for rifle.

One shot is great for pistol brass, and I don't clean the lube off the ammo when done. Dillon lube is great for rifle brass, which I tumble after sizing. I use large Folgers coffee cans for lube buckets. Spray the lube on, shake and dump into case feeders, then put the lid on the can to keep the cat hair and dust out of it.

I bought some DIY Dillon lube for my brother and I. His half was a Christmas gift. I even made up an ad to go with his gift. I hate advertising as much of it is made up BS. I regurgitated some of that BS into the case lube ad.

IMG_20141212_155644_860.jpg

As others have said I mix my own up 99% alcohol and the pure lanolin. Now if I can just find an emulsifier that will work to keep the mix together longer. Only one place had it and they were talking one of those pallet tainer jugs! The use of any lower % alcohol which has more water in it, makes the lube take longer to dry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028MLKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYM006/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have to say Amazon the above is what I have bought, and put it an industrial trigger spray bottle. With the prime membership 2 day shipping.

The mix works well.

As others have said I mix my own up 99% alcohol and the pure lanolin. Now if I can just find an emulsifier that will work to keep the mix together longer.

Hmm, I too use +99% alcohol and pure liquid lanolin, I get no noticeable seperation if my bottle sits for long periods.

After using it the last few days I'm thinking it can be cut much thinner with alcohol. It is plenty slick but also pretty tacky.

How thin is anyone running it before it quits working?

Yeah mine is about in the 13:1 range as well based on recommendations. I seem to remember a thread from a few years ago where somebody mentioned they just kept adding alcohol to the dillon lube as it got used up without any I'll effects. Just wondered how thin to try. I guess I will try to find some more alcohol and start experimenting. :)

As others have said I mix my own up 99% alcohol and the pure lanolin. Now if I can just find an emulsifier that will work to keep the mix together longer.

Hmm, I too use +99% alcohol and pure liquid lanolin, I get no noticeable seperation if my bottle sits for long periods.

Even the Dillon says to shake before use, on the bottle. I have just used my home made stuff again after about a month and there isn't as much separation as when I first made it. It must continue to dissolve in the alcohol with time.

Even the Dillon says to shake before use, on the bottle. I have just used my home made stuff again after about a month and there isn't as much separation as when I first made it. It must continue to dissolve in the alcohol with time.

I give the bottle a two second shake before using it as well. But again, I see no separation prior to shaking, I believe the lanolin remains pretty well dissolved in the alcohol (at least it does at a 1:10 ratio).

Two of the bigger reloading shops around here carry Dillon stuff priced at the same price as in the Blue press so no shipping. One spray bottle of lube goes a long way, I can't try to make my own for cheaper than I can buy the Dillon lube.

Just a question for the guys lubing in a plastic bag, etc. That sounds good for lubing the outside of the case, but in my experience it doesn't get enough, if any, lube in the neck of the cases. How do you lube the neck during sizing?

I don't use a plastic bag. I use a 1-gallon ice cream plastic tub. I put two scoops from a 24 Oz Alum scoop I bought on Amazon into the tub. Shake lanolin sprayer well, apply two pumps of lube. Shake bucket for 10 seconds, rinse and repeat a second time. No issues with dry dies doing it that way. With a fine spray mist, you'll get lube inside and out of the cases.

Just a question for the guys lubing in a plastic bag, etc. That sounds good for lubing the outside of the case, but in my experience it doesn't get enough, if any, lube in the neck of the cases. How do you lube the neck during sizing?

I don't use a plastic bag. I use a 1-gallon ice cream plastic tub. I put two scoops from a 24 Oz Alum scoop I bought on Amazon into the tub. Shake lanolin sprayer well, apply two pumps of lube. Shake bucket for 10 seconds, rinse and repeat a second time. No issues with dry dies doing it that way. With a fine spray mist, you'll get lube inside and out of the cases.

I didn't have trouble with dry dies, just not enough inside neck lube.

I used a large plastic storage bottle, holds about 2 gallons, and like you, spray and shake, repeat. But I noticed the expanding ball was dragging and started lubing the ball with a lube saturated q-tip about every 3rd or 4th case.

Now I lay them in a line all faced the same way on a large cookie sheet. Spray them at an angle so the case neck inside will get it's share of lube, then roll them by hand. Usually just takes one good spray and a few rolls to lube well. This procedure seems to lube the inside of the neck better. YMMV