Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unobtainable $450 gun

JCollett

I hate the fact that I can find every flavor of XD on earth but the one I want. I have called every shop in the Indianapolis area . Calls all go like this:

Me: Hi, do you guys have a Springfield XD9 Tactical

Guy:Hold on let me look.......Yep got one left.

Me: Is it the 5 inch barrel...looks like a longslide?

Guy: Yep

Me:Your sure its a 9 and not a .40?

Guy: Hold on........Nope sorry its a .40

Me:Thanks

Rinse and repeat x 7

As a matter of fact the only one I have actually ever seen is the one my shooting partner found before me at last months gunshow. Distributers don't have them. I called Springfield 3 times before a nice woman took pity on me and leveled with me. "There's not very many Tactical 9's out there....as a mattter of fact we haven't shipped any since this summer." So naturally my reply is "Do you know when some more will be in?"...(waiting with fingers crossed)..."No."

So there you have it the Unobtainable $450 gun.....And if I see one more display case filled with once fired Glocks I am going to puke.

This reminds me of the Ruger P85.When they were coming out with them they were nowhere to be found.One dealer in town had one that he would not sell,just kept it in the case for all to see.Another dealer got one in and sold it within 2 hrs.I finally got one about a year later and sold it after about 500rds. It was not very accurate. On the same subject has anyone seen one of the Sigs with the DAK ,DAO trigger ?. My dealer looked at me like he did not know what I was talking about when I asked him if any were coming in.

After all this mess...broken extractor on Service 9 ....runaround on Tactical..I think I am going to see how long THIS extractor works and how long my friends Tactical runs before I pick up what could unfortunately turn into another turd.

Shot a league match with a Berreta 92 last week ...cause the XD was broke..wasn't so bad. The DA sucked but I guess if all else fails I could get used to it.

By the way the whole reason I am shooting production is the fact that I don't want to have to worry about finnicky guns or loading ammo or having to send guns back and forth to a smith/factory to get them to run. More time for dry fire. :D

I hope this XD thing works out ..if it does I'll pick up a Tactical when they finally show up local. If not I guess I'll have to start paying real close attention to that Langdon guy.

BTW the reason I don't shoot a Glock is that I have to have a beavertail on one to keep from getting sliced up by the slide.

By the way the whole reason I am shooting production is the fact that I don't want to have to worry about finnicky guns or loading ammo or having to send guns back and forth to a smith/factory to get them to run. More time for dry fire. :D

I figured out yesterday. Where's the time or money saving by dealing with BS parts policies? In order to go to a match running an XD, you have to have a backup gun. The sights aren't regulated properly, so you're pretty well comitted to Bomars. If your gun ever does break, you're going to be coughing up $35 to ship it to SA, who will promptly undo whatever was done to it in the name of full employment for lawyers. Ship to a gunsmith, and you'll be out $35x2 + parts and labor.

Heck, I fitted two extractors for my STI in less time than it took me to grovel for a new extractor. I guess the 2011 must be a time saving device.

Anyway you look at it, running the XD is a loser (unless you're a certified armorer). I'll put the money into a 6" Benny blaster and be ahead in the end. I can guarantee the Benny gun will be more accurate and more reliable. The XD is marketed toward young punk who shoots 4 or 5 boxes of ammo a year. There is no interest on the part of SA in supporting competitive shooters. And that's fine by me. Message received. Loud and clear.

Hi, one of our suppliers has the 9mm XD 5 inch tactical available. This is the January special with 3 15 round magazines and a XD Gear holster. Price would be around $500 plus $25 - 30 shipping to your FFL.

Reply by private message if you have serious interest. I am going to get several for our local customers and can always up the order for Enos forum members.

Sandoz, I looked real hard at the USP 9, but I couldn't seem to get my clumsy hands to work the mag release reliably.

I never thought it would be so difficult to find a production gun I like. Looked at most of them.

Sig 226- Strong contender but sits a little high, DA sucks.

CZ75-Feels perfect ,sits low in the hand but, DA and SA really sucks

Glock 34- Would be perfect BUT no beavertails allowed and RO's don't like blood splatter. (I know this from experience)

Beretta 92FS-I own one and DA sucks but shoots so much softer than 4" XD

XD 9-Feels great,beveled mag well stock, decent sights after a little paint, trigger I can live with but seem to be as reliable as CBS's sources.

I know all this could be fixed with the proper gunsmith,but dammit that would just be too easy. :angry:

"CZ75-Feels perfect ,sits low in the hand but, DA and SA really sucks"

The regular 75B is just one $8 Wolff hammer spring (a 16 or 17 lb) away from an amazing DA trigger the just gets better after a few hundred dry fires. The SA function is so similar to a 1911 that any good 1911 smith of your choice should be able to get you the trigger you want. Gun costs less than the XD too.

Get an 85 Combat & it arrives stock without the Series 80 safety for a better still trigger.

Or you could wait for CZ-USA's new Production gun, the SP-01 - which is essentially a 9mm STI Edge w/ double action for Production.

Guys, I think we are spending too much time worrying about what might happen....I too waited for a 5in tactical. I got Rich's trigger job(incredible BTW) put on Dawson adjustable sights, and have been dryfiring to beat the band the last two weeks. Kid is in the hospital so it is cutting into my range time. ;)

I have around 3K through my XD, and no problems so far. I will shoot it until I have a problem, and then contact Rich or SA when I do. I too like to have spare parts with me but there is 4 or 5 XDs having the crap shot out of them around here and there has been no problems with the guns so far.

Just shoot them until you break them. I had a vanek G34 set up and my XD kicks the shit out of it, especially the mag reloads! My .02.......

DougC

I took my XD9 service to the same guy my friend used to fix his yesterday. It had a broken extractor and a broken cocking indicator. When he removed the roll pin that goes through the top of the slide the damn thing came out in 2 PIECES!! Now try and find a tapered roll pin probably only made in some shack in Croatia, at your local industial supply. This sucks.

I tried finding replacement base pads for the mags. It was not a happy experience. S/A is selling the damn things for $4.00 each, plus a $6.95 fee for orders under $50.00.

Now, 4 bucks ain't all that much, and I can afford them. But it galls my ass that they're charging so much for a brittle piece of plastic that probably costs 30 cents from Croatia.

To top it off, I found out 9 days after they charged my card that they are Out Of Stock. When I called to ask where they were they explained the back order situation and promised me they had already caught the error, and had credited my card for the purchase price.

That was 3 days ago and the credit hasn't shown up on my on-line activity report for that card.

I used to like this gun....

I just had my XD9 Tactical to the range. First 150 rounds the gun was shooting all over the place. After that the last 100 went in to a nice ragged hole about 2". It ate everything up with no problems. I just picked it up yesterday so it is a new production... maybe they solved the heat treating issues.