Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Lube When Using Coated Bullets

Tcon260

I'm loading coated bullets.currently blue bullets. If I use lubeprobable One Shot, howdy you all remove the lube. Can I tumble the loaded rounds?

Why bother? Seems like a waste of time.

Edited by robb315

I'm loading coated bullets.currently blue bullets. If I use lubeprobable One Shot, howdy you all remove the lube. Can I tumble the loaded rounds?

Couple of reasons I tumble after loading to get the lube off.

One, even if you use OS sparingly there is enough tackiness to allow flakes of powder or media to stick to the round and cause problems gauging.

Two, the gauge stays cleaner longer if you tumble causing less false failures.

Three, the rounds will stay shiny like new if you remove the lube. Otherwise they turn dull and ugly.

None of these problems are show stoppers but to some of us it matters.

Couple of reasons I tumble after loading to get the lube off.

One, even if you use OS sparingly there is enough tackiness to allow flakes of powder or media to stick to the round and cause problems gauging.

Two, the gauge stays cleaner longer if you tumble causing less false failures.

Three, the rounds will stay shiny like new if you remove the lube. Otherwise they turn dull and ugly.

None of these problems are show stoppers but to some of us it matters.

Ahh. Ok.

I use One shot and have never worried about removing it after loading for any of the guns I load for. Never had an issue and was wondering if I'm missing out on something. Lol.

I do it for match ammo for sure. I was at a match on a sandy area and dropped some rounds on the ground. The rounds picked up the sand easily and I had to wipe them off before I could use them. Same thing happened when the mags hit the ground and sand got into them. The dirty rounds plugged up the mag

Practice round I might not though.

For pistols, the lube on the case just doesn't matter. If concerned about attracting dirt/dust, just handle or wipe them. Tumbling seems to be fine, but many then have to wipe off the media dust from the rounds any way, so they haven't saved any time.

I only use lube occasionally with 9x19 and use a very light spray coating of Frankford Arsenal or Dillon and there is no lube to attract dirt/dust. If sizing is really that much more difficult without lube, get a Hornady or Redding sizing die.

The whole removing lube from a case is to prevent severe bolt thrust from rear locking rifles (SMLEs) at pressures over 60,000 psi.

Hornady oneshot will dry up and "go away" if you let loaded ammo sit out. I don't use it as its not a very good lube for rifle ammo but its fine for pistol. I have used Frankfort and Dillon lube for pistol and I don't bother cleaning it off as I use a squirt for a bowl full of cases in my 650 feeder.

I use OneShot, and if I have time I tumble for no more than 10 minutes.

There is one bullet you shouldn’t tumble, don’t ask, and that’s X-Treme’s Hollow Points. The media will compress in the HP cavity, pain to pick out. If you don't clean it out of the cavity after about 50 rounds your gun will start to malfunction, :surprise: don’t ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a medium size bath towel, lay it flat and spray it with a brake cleaner or similar cleaner. Just a quick spray on towel do not soak it. Dump your ammo in, bunch each end of the towel in your hands making a big pouch,.Raise and lower the ends of the towel and it will tumble the ammo back and forth across the towel. Cleans hundreds of rounds in 15 seconds. You can pour the ammo back in to your container out one end of the towel. Works slick, keeps your hands and mags cleaner. A friend showed me the trick many years ago.

Take a medium size bath towel, lay it flat and spray it with a brake cleaner or similar cleaner. Just a quick spray on towel do not soak it. Dump your ammo in, bunch each end of the towel in your hands making a big pouch,.Raise and lower the ends of the towel and it will tumble the ammo back and forth across the towel. Cleans hundreds of rounds in 15 seconds. You can pour the ammo back in to your container out one end of the towel. Works slick, keeps your hands and mags cleaner. A friend showed me the trick many years ago.

I use the same technique to apply Hornandy One Shot.

Cool idea, I never thought of that. I had a couple failures on some primers from mid 90s in a modified Glock. 2 in 1500 rounds. I thought maybe a primer contamination which I never had before, or then the age. The towel would do the trick. I use only a little whiff of one shot or Mag Slick. I remembered later I was loading small rifle from the 175 power factor days and think it may be a lightened striker issue.

I'm was in the exact same boat. I use either One Shot or my home brew Lanolin lube. Per a members advice here, I started spraying my reloads with 90% Isopropyl and rolling in towels post loading. Takes literally less than 5 minutes to spotlessly clean 2,000 rounds. So much faster than tumbling loaded rounds.