Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any disadvantage of having a double stack instead of a single?

Bolt

Any disadvantage of having a double stack instead of a single? Watching the "Better grip single stack or double stack 1911s?" topic. Hand size seems to be one key factor with a 2011 which I need. I have large hands, wear 2XL gloves. I have always wanted a STI Edge but not something I can't use in competition as far as beginner classes go. As you can tell I’m a newbie at competition shooting (sort of, done it a few times years ago). Thanks for any and all advice.

I actually prefer the feel of a double stack 1911 over the narrower single stacks. But, it really depends on what you're going to do with it. The Edge would be just fine for competition and beginner classes. Keep an eye on the classifieds here and you can probably pick one up for pretty cheap.

I'm 6' 4" and I have large hands also. I got bitten by the Single Stack bug pretty hard and ordered a 1911 from the SVI folks. In leading up to ordering a 1911, I tried out a bunch of different 1911s in safe areas testing feel and trigger pull and, weirdly, I haven't found a 1911 that didn't feel just fine.

The biggest issue that I did discover is that the triggers tended to feel to short to me. It wasn't until I tried out a pistol with an SVI medium flat trigger that I found one that felt pretty good. I have mine coming with a long flat trigger (and I have a medium flat insert coming with it since it's just 20 bucks extra) so I can try that out.

I also tried out a bunch of STI type 2011s and they feel fine also. The Edge, for example, is a very nice option and is very popular.

Edited by ericjhuber

there is really no disadvantage to a double stack I can think of.

in restricted states you can still easily get 10 round mags so that's no problem.

the double stack is eligible for limited in USPSA and L10. singlestack is eligible for limited too but would be tough with the small mags, it's fine in L10 and single stack of course.

if you have big hands the double stack with almost certainly feel better. it's much easier to customise a double stack grip to fit your hand shape too. the edge is a great choice and great for beginner classes and very competetive in limited division in USPSA.

• 2 weeks later...

The main disadvantage is mainly for shooters with smaller hands, they will not have complete proper grip, and have to readjust grip every time when changing mags. Magazine capacity won't be a factor in L10 division. Parts are more in demand, since every body got one...this could mean less parts available or more parts available. For conceal carry, double stack will be harder than single stack, if ever one wants to do this.

I have rather large hands with short fingers. I wear a 1XL glove. I do not like a single stack grip. It always bites me and wears a hole in my hand at the bottom of the spring housing. I have tried flat and round and both did not fit me. The only one I havent tried are the rounded carry type housings. Using double stack guns I have had no issues. They always felt comfortable.

Does not apply to States with magazine restrictions :wacko: Although, we have lots of practice for magazine reloads.

More magazine capacity =more fun. Starting with a division that requires more reloads to get more proficient is usually a good idea as well!