Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Barrel Lengths vs. Tube Length

Gadela08

this might be a silly question.

Why do so many 3-gun shotguns come in Barrel lengths of 20, 22, 24, or inches when people are putting +5 extension tubes on there that bring the total tube length to 30 or 32 inches? The "wieldability" argument for a short barrel goes right out the window once you slap on an extension tube. I think 3-gun shotguns should come in 28 and 30 inch barrel lengths and that will make the barrel sit right next to the full length of the extension tube for a 10+1 shotgun ...unless someone else here sees any benefit to having a 24 inch barrel and a 32 inch mag tube?

The swing is not changed as much as you might think, The tube weighs a fraction of what the same length of barrel does.

Lot of guys reconfigure the tube length to the particular event. A 24" barrel is nearly flush with a tube that holds 10 and that

is my base gun set up. I might chose to add a plus 2 to that 10 for 12 at a match here or there and even the 12 set up

is only about 4" beyond the muzzle of the 24" barrel.

As to "unwieldy" I have not been to and event that challenged me with my current shotgun set up.

Once in a car it is odd, but even a 21" was odd.

Once in a tunnel with a 22" M14 is was odd but I made it through with an excellent score.

Even a 28 inch barrel isn't long enough for THIS mag tube! :) Makes vehicle stages ummmm......... interesting!

I'd like to see how tall the abandonment barrel needed for that!

Believe it or not, as long as the dump barrel is staked it will stay. The owner of this shotgun tested it in this configuration and the gun ran, in spite of the 2+ pounds of shells in the tube. The extension actually sags away from the barrel to allow clearance for shot dispersion :)