Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which press cover for the 550B

My awesome wife recently surprised me with a 550B setup and tricked out to load 9mm. Needless to say they are both keepers. Anyway, I need to get a cover for it and was wondering if the Dillon cover was a good choice. Does it cover the press well with the bullet tray, powder measure, roller handle, and two ammo bins installed? Any better options short of making something?

Thanks,

Brian

The Dillon cover is good. Since its designed for the press it covers and protects it very well but it does not cover the trays or handle. I'm sure there are others that you can throw over a 550 but I like the factory covers on mine.

Here's a pic if it helps.

9135-1393132572-5f9d4627ba8653a81809b55a

Edited by Dirty Rod

The Dillon cover gets my vote, it will let it breathe so that it won't trap any moisture from humidity. I all ways had the Dillon cover on my 550, but when I added a case feeder to the 550 I had to get the 650 cover.

Edited by aug1911

I first started using the Dillon bags. Got tired of pulling them off to see what caliber was under which bag. When I went to make a change I removed everything to find what I wanted. And no, I didn't want to put sticky notes on the bags. Best part is I can see my setup anytime. I just tell people that Ziplock is a subsidiary of Dillon. I call it Zillon. :D

Note to aug1911... My Dillon is a 550 with casefeeder. No need to buy a new bag.

post-22108-0-65163300-1416843589_thumb.j

post-22108-0-79730500-1416843603_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up a Dillon cover yesterday from Grafs for my 550B. Overall I'm happy with it and think it will get the job done (mostly). I especially like the fact that it is designed to enclose the ram and linkage. It looks really nice too! The one downside is it doesn't cover the accessories I have installed. This includes the bullet tray, loaded cartridge bin, and cartridge case bin. I also have the tool holder mounted to the back of my press, and while it is snug, it did fit around it. My reloading room doubles as a wood working shop, dog kennel, and general fix it shop, so it can be dusty at times. Looks like I'll be employing the trash bag cover when the wood chips fly or I'll have to keep the bullet tray empty and store the bins as well.

Brian

I first started using the Dillon bags. Got tired of pulling them off to see what caliber was under which bag. When I went to make a change I removed everything to find what I wanted. And no, I didn't want to put sticky notes on the bags. Best part is I can see my setup anytime. I just tell people that Ziplock is a subsidiary of Dillon. I call it Zillon. :D

Note to aug1911... My Dillon is a 550 with casefeeder. No need to buy a new bag.

I label use a Brother label makers, a bright yellow label is placed on the bottom of the tool head stand, another label is placed on the tool head itself. Stand label just says what caliber, the tool head label contain details like powder type/charge, OAL, and bullet type/weight.

Only need to peek under the cover to tell if I have the correct tool head.

~g

Couple of years ago I was at Harbor Freight looking around. I found drill press covers on closeout for $0.99. I got one for my bench drill press because they were extra heavy dark green vinyl with a heavy flanel lining. Got home and tried it on the Dillon press on the strong mount and it was a perfect fit flush with the bench including the case feed ejection box. For that money I decided to get more but they were sold out by the time I got back. Crap!!

Edited by Iowa Fox

Where do you guys find the tool head covers. I can't find them on the Dillon site

They are available in Brian's store. Not sure which press you are looking to cover but here is a 550 cover.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html#access

Under Reloading Machine Accessories on the Dillon site.

Edited by Dirty Rod