Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Custom 9mm

BarnSide

I’m after a 9 mm pistol that has the ruggedness of a tactical pistol with the accuracy of a match pistol. Brandon has provided afew recommended characteristics, but I’m keen to hear what others here would recommend for such a pistol.

What type of mainspring housing would others recommend (flat, arched, wedged)?

And would it be recommended to get the stirrup cut?

Most will go with a flat, so unless you have a preference go that way to start. I have big hands (XXL gloves) and the arched MSH helps to fill the grip for me so that is mypersonal first choice

Very few folks seem to use the wedge, in fact, as I sit here I can only think of Wilson peddling them. If it was popular there would be more makers. I had one on a used 1911 that I bought and quickly replaced it due to grip feel.

I’m after a 9 mm pistol that has the ruggedness of a tactical pistol with the accuracy of a match pistol. Brandon has provided afew recommended characteristics, but I’m keen to hear what others here would recommend for such a pistol.

What type of mainspring housing would others recommend (flat, arched, wedged)?

And would it be recommended to get the stirrup cut?

I would go with their Widebody design with the Signature grip. They've designed their magazines to sit higher in the gun and feeding reliability is greatly improved. I would go with the Stirrup cut on a 9mm because you don't need the extra weight of a FLDC or even the Butler cut.

A lot of personal preference. I have a 2011 9mm build in with Brandon right now. I went with the full length dust cover because I love the look and can deal with the small extra weight. PM me your email if you want to see my build sheet.

A lot of personal preference. I have a 2011 9mm build in with Brandon right now. I went with the full length dust cover because I love the look and can deal with the small extra weight. PM me your email if you want to see my build sheet.

Absolutely personal preference. The full length dust cover with fluting does scream sexy. But for performance, it's not needed and costs more. Every cut adds to the cost.

AMP I was going with the Tactical Micro Pockets, but is there that much advantage to the Aggressive Micro Pockets?

RangerTrace due to pistol laws in Australia I have a ten round magazine limit so it will probably be a lot lighter making weight not such an issue.

AMP I was going with the Tactical Micro Pockets, but is there that much advantage to the Aggressive Micro Pockets?

RangerTrace due to pistol laws in Australia I have a ten round magazine limit so it will probably be a lot lighter making weight not such an issue.

The only difference will be the weight of the bullets right? Or, maybe you don't need a wide body since you can't take advantage of the high cap design. I still think I would prefer the wide body, because they design the mags

The aggressive is just that aggressive. I was pretty sceptical at first but now i love them. The biggest issue and the biggest benefit is the grip is solid and will not slip. Sounds great unless you get a bad draw and making adjustments on the fly is more difficult.

My 9mm edge is fine too.

What comps do you want to shoot with the gun? You're going to be at a disadvantage shooting 9mm in standard division but a 9mm single stack for classic division will be ok because shooting major is still uncommon in Australia. Over .38's to 45's are only allowed in Victoria and .357 sig's have to be custom made.

Thanks for the reply RangerTrace, but I was told the signature grip and tactical micro pockets are for high capacity only which is unfortunate as I wanted both.

To be clear, SV doesn't make their signature grips for single-stack pistols, only for the double-stacks.

SV does make 126mm tubes which fit snug into the double-stack grips -- and they will block them to 10 rounds at the factory. In fact, I have a few of those for an SV limited pistol which has the signature tactical micro-pocket grip. :-)

I just read that Larry Vickers does not think the double stack 1911 is as reliable as a single stack 1911. Any ideas why?

From what I've heard, his argument boils down to springs/mags -- basically feeding issues.

It just got me thinking and all military 1911s seem to be single stack (e.g. Colt CQBP).

No, that's just the most common. Some so-called tier 1 units had matching pairs of STI double-stacks.