Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Rule Reload

Smitty79

My local club is in a suburban area and has a rule that a muzzle above the berm, with a chambered round, is a DQ. So I can't use the standard action pistol reload with the mag well right in front of my face and the muzzle pointing down range and up.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to do a fast reload with the muzzle close to horizontal?

Muzzle pointing downrange at the berm at shooter eye level, cant mag well 45 degrees inward to the side the new magazine is coming from, hit mag release to eject mag, bring new mag to gun and insert, while keeping muzzle pointed at the berm. Re-acquire grip while keeping muzzle at target elevation and aimed at the berm.

I don't like the 'muzzle over the berm rule". But there is a good reason for it in built up areas. One inadvertent shot that winds up in the 'wrong place' can close the range.

IPSC has this rule don't they so lots of shooters execute reloads that way ...

With that said, are they holding sanctioned USPSA matches at this club?

We can't do USPSA matches. We lost our affiliation over this.

I have mixed emotions. I'm glad you have a place to shoot and exercise your right to keep and bear arms. I'm also glad USPSA saw fit to pull the clubs affiliation. Local rules have no place in a Nationally universal competition.

My normal reload keeps the muzzle pretty flat. I just pull my elbow to the bottom of my rib cage and tilt the gun sideways to meet the magazine. I shoot production, so no magwell, and getting my elbow to touch my torso seems to result in a more repeatable and accurate positioning of the gun.

Tuck it in and not worry about the speed as much as for limited you have one reload to do somewhere so there is probibally some place to take a time neutral reload. I agree with sarge it was nice they pulled the affiliation as local rules don't belong. How often do you shoot there vs elsewhere as having 2 different reloads could mess you up when going elsewhere

It's their range. Their rules. Sometimes those rules are, for the club, total 'self-defense'. If you want to shoot at that club you have to follow their rules. It may not set well with some, but if you want to shoot at that place......

My normal reload keeps the muzzle pretty flat. I just pull my elbow to the bottom of my rib cage and tilt the gun sideways to meet the magazine. I shoot production, so no magwell, and getting my elbow to touch my torso seems to result in a more repeatable and accurate positioning of the gun.

Works great. Took .2 sec off of my dry fire reload