Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

competition mag pouches and belts

BigDave

I know you're probably in a big hurry (what IPSC competitor isn't), but soon, I'll be selling Safariland competition products on be.com. And, I think I'll be able to price them very competitively. I'm going to be on the job next week.

be

Hey Big Dave i got my Safariland 771's from here

http://www.holsters.com/

I also just got my CR2000 speed holster and competition belt from CR speed, wow this is one incredible holster. I believe it is the only speed holster for the HK USP (I have heard the Hogue holster is crap)

http://www.rescomp.co.za/

You should buy from Brian unless you are in a big hurry

I'll second the Hogue doesn't even rank as high as crap. The thing is one giant POS. I tried one for 2 matches. The second match the gun fell out and I got DQ'ed. Luckily I found some damn fool from out west that just had to have one. I tried to warn him but he said he really wanted it.

Chriss,

I use a hogue powerspeed without problem. But I'm still willing to learn.

Why did your gun fall ? Did you forget to lock it up ? (It happened to me once, hopefully during training).

I heard several guys had been DQ'ed with this holster in the US. Is there any conception problem with it ?

Jerome.

I was teaching a course about a month or so back.  Two of the students where using the Hogue holster.  Both of then had the gun fall on the floor.  One guy had it fall out

more then once.  He was shooting an HK Expert.  What we figured was that the hogue holsters lock was not engaged all the way.  The lock has two positions, a full lock and a half lock.  When it setup for the HK of other guns with wider then average trigger guards, if you have it in the half lock, the gun can bee knocked out.  I have only seen five guns fall out of a holster and four of then where with the Hogue.

My understanding is that the Hogue is not a "plug and play" holster.  You have to get it setup right for your gun.

I have one coming in the mail.  I got it cheap (second hand).  I'll set it up by-the-book.  I'll post how it goes.  If it is a POS I'll let you know.

I know all about setting it up by the book. BTDT still POS! It was a stage with no movement. You had to open a cooler, pick up a chip and put it in a bucket with your strong hand then draw and shoot the stage. I trusted the Magnets that those idiots claim will hold a gun in upside down. BS! If I wanted a holster that I had to lock and unlock every draw I'd shoot my duty rig. Unlocked it is fast, if you have to screw around with that locking system you're better off just going with the Safariland. The Hogue is secure when locked but totally useless unlocked.

• 1 month later...

I agree the Hogue speed holster is a POS. I tried one and couldn't stand it. Even after using it for a while, you still can't get a decent draw out of it because your scared as hell it will fall out.

big dave,

Brownells has all kinds of Safarliand holsters and mag pouches. 641-623-4000. Or call me at 727-510-9251 and I'll find you some others.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

• 3 weeks later...

"...if you have to screw around with that locking system you're better off just going with the Safariland."

You know, after Area One - actually, during Area One - with all the dropped gun DQs going on out there, I got out of the habit, which I've written about here before, of loosening the tension knob on the Safariland before drawing. Now I just leave it tightened down all the time. It doesn't seem to slow the draw at all. If anything I've gotten faster because I don't have that hesitation point where I feel I have to slow down as my hand hits the gun because I have this nagging impression the gun's not really secure in the holster.

O.K.  I have lived with my Hogue Power Speed for a while now.  Shoot with it at the Nationals.

Mine works great.  I have a Glock 35.  Lots of slide for the magnets to grab hold of in full race mode.

When it is locked (and properly set up) the gun just isn't coming out.  I can (anyone can) easily unlock the holster on the draw from full or semi race mode.  

Many people don't like them.  Which works out for us that do.  Deals can be had.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

• 11 months later...

Hogue is fine on my G35.  No worries (unless I don't lock it, then go running around the range...same as any race holster in that regard).

I see then for $50 on the USPSA website's classifieds.

I have a couple of big and heavy Open guns (1911's)...I don't trust the holster with them in the full-race mode (just the magnets).

• 3 years later...

for the HK, try the Speedsec holster. It is made in Germany, and a lot of HK shooters use it. It is either locked or not. I keep it locked all times, except at the "are you ready signal?"

http://www.roninsports.com/products.php?se...turer=%3D%2C%2C

WOW, sorry for the needless reply, I didn't look at the date....(2002)

Edited by Mo Hepworth