Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a .40 minor load

Lifeislarge

I'm interested in loading some .40 minor and did a search but didn't come up with many specific examples. These will be for my stock Edge. At my disposal I have TiteGroup, Clays, WST, and Unique powders. I use only Federal SPP's and load to 1.180 with 180gr plated bullets. My plan is to keep my press set up for business as usual and just swap out powder measures once I have a good recipe.

I have only loaded for major over the past few years so don't have any experience in making sure the gun runs at minor. I already run a light recoil spring with a shok buff so I don't think I'll have to worry about cycling. If anyone has some experience within the above parameters I'd love to hear about it, especially using TG or Clays as those are the powders I have the best supply of.

If you load .40 major, then the first thing you might want to try is just backing down on your current powder load. Don't change anything else. Might work, might not, but it can't hurt to try.

Edited by Graham Smith

Try 2.8 gr Clays, 180 lead bullet, at 1.130 OAL. Real soft shooting in my G35...pf 140

2.8 Clays with 185 Moly bullet at 1.155 OAL runs good in my Para SX-16...pf 137

Both guns have 12 lb recoil springs.

3.2grns of TG with the 180 plated or FMJ. I went down to 3grns but the 3.2 shot better and is around 135PF. Feels very soft. I loaded them to 1.145" OAL so if you are going 1.180" then maybe try 3.3 or 3.4 as well. I used a 10# recoil spring with it. 3grns and the 200grns works well too.

I use e3 powder for my 40 S&W loads. I'm very pleased with the results. I load to 1.126" OAL because I shoot them in my CZ TS. You may have to bump the powder charge a little because you are loading longer. Anyway, here are my pet minor loads.

5.5" barrel, 1.126" OAL, 180gr lead truncated cone bullet:

2.8gr e3, CCI 500 primer: 773fps, 139 PF, SD 6.75 (20 shot string)

3.1gr e3, CCI 500 primer: 844fps, 151 PF, SD 8.88 (10 shot string)

I know it isn't on your list, but e3 gives me sub 10 SDs with 175gr LSWC and 180gr LTC bullets loaded from 139PF to past major. I just got a selection of Xtreme HPCB bullets and plan to run them over the chrono shortly. I expect very similar results, except I'll need more powder for the same PF.

• 3 weeks later...