Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125gr. SNS & Clays Smoke like a Freight Train

OPENB

I bought a couple k's of the SNS 125gr. Coated bullets to shoot SS minor & production with. I have 8# of Clays & read 3.5 gr. makes a nice minor load. It does make minor in my 9mm Spartan, is really soft, but smokes more than bare lead! I shot it at my indoor league tonight, & was floored by how smokey it was. What powder are you guys using with the coated bullets that is lighter in the smoke dept.? I was told to avoid Titegroup with the coated bullets for the same reason.

Try WST--works for me

Any links to load data, or a suggested minimum and maximum for WST?

With a 124 gr bullet start at 4.4 with a max of 5.0. Usually with a coated bullet I hve found that 4.7 is going to be close to minor of

I am loading at 4.5

Must be the combo of Clays and the coated.bullets. I just took one apart, and the coating was not cut. For pistol powders, I have Clays, Titegroup, Power Pistol, Bullseye, Unique, and Silhouette. I was saving the Silhouette for my open loads.

I use a 147gr costed bullet and 3.0gr of Clays. I used to run 2.8 and made minor, but it was cause for concern on cold days.

There was a slight difference in smoke between the two loads with the 3.0 being a bit better. Overall a clean load with very little smoke. Been using Clays (and now Clay Dot) for about 2 years.

Under cooler, damp conditions, you may experience more smoke than usual. I've experienced more smoke than usual with clays and 200gr LSWC at an early morning match in the fall. I'm unsure of your shooting conditions, but that may play a roll.

I cannot remember where I read this, perhaps here. Anyway, certain powders burn far better depending on the pressure in the barrel. The specific example was Unique in that a light load will smoke more and you will find a lot of "crap" in the barrel but that when loaded to higher velocities and higher pressures then it burns more efficiently, with less smoke and leaves less residue. I do not know how true this may be, but as I have several pounds of Unique I plan on loading many different load samples even though I do not compete and want only a range load. Perhaps the same is true with the Clays?

all lead and coated bullets smoke. and if you think they don't video yourself sometime. the savings of lead, moly, coated isn't worth the annoyance to me. but i'm the minority, most people who shoot that kind of bullet love it.

Are you shaving the coating? Have you pulled a bullet from a loaded round to check?

I would check this first...

Give me a call if you'd like.

(815) 796-2904

What is the suggested OAL for the 125gr flat point coated bullet in 9mm? Thanks.

I was shooting these in an indoor range. Anyone else shoot a similar combo indoors?

A majority of my shooting is indoors.

After reviewing some footage I have of myself shooting, it smokes a bit more than I expected. Definitely more so than plated/jacketed, but during the COF, I don't notice it at all. I would post some stages for reveiw, but I don't do the youtube thing.