Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eyes, and faster trigger finger ?

BOOM

Seeing the sights line up on the targets, but not getting to the trigger fast enough. Yes doing LOTS of dry fire drills and seeing it happen there to. Is there any type of training that's either shooting related, or not that will speed the reaction time. I was thinking maybe playing those crazy video games the kids play. HEYn:) if it works.

Are you using a gun controller or a std controller ? I don't have video games or the consoles that apply. Just wondering if they really work? Thanks

Std controllers still use a trigger too fire. Its also a long mushy trigger on some so at least you arent getting used to a microswitch lol

I always use video games as an example when people ask me how i watch the sights and think about what my hands are doing. Just like when playing a video game, you dont think "i need to reload, i should press x" you go "reload" and the actions happen.

Edited by amish_rabbi

Speeding up reaction time; Trying to transfer information that your eyes see (the target)into your trigger faster with (ANY) existing tools out there to train with. Is what I'm searching for

Speeding up reaction time; Trying to transfer information that your eyes see (the target)into your trigger faster with (ANY) existing tools out there to train with. Is what I'm searching for

I thought this article on reaction was interesting:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/reaction.htm

"Reaction time itself is an inherent ability, but overall response time can be improved by practice."

so maybe one of the laser training systems like iMarksman or LASR or Aimtech, that will quantify/measure your speed/time, would be good as a tool for what you are looking for?

I had the opportunity to be one of 6 people that spent the day with A Master class shooter this past Saturday. One thing he explained to us lots of people dry fire which is a huge help, but he also teached us reverse dry fire. that is where you squeeze the trigger then hold it all the way back then rack the slide then ease off till the reset engages. rack the slide back and repeat not letting the trigger break but just get to the wall of the reset. when gripping the slide take your weak hand and hold it over the top of the slide to grip it and rack it. as fast as you can. In time you will condition your finger to stop right at the reset and rest against the wall. I do it sitting in a chair rack and reset over and over. I hope I explained it well enough

Edited by lstone

Seeing the sights line up on the targets, but not getting to the trigger fast enough. Yes doing LOTS of dry fire drills and seeing it happen there to. Is there any type of training that's either shooting related, or not that will speed the reaction time. I was thinking maybe playing those crazy video games the kids play. HEYn:) if it works.

What do you mean not getting to the trigger fast enough? I don't understand exactly what the issue is.

I had the opportunity to be one of 6 people that spent the day with Billy Smith this past Saturday. One thing he explained to us lots of people dry fire which is a huge help, but he also teached us reverse dry fire. that is where you squeeze the trigger then hold it all the way back then rack the slide then ease off till the reset engages. rack the slide back and repeat not letting the trigger break but just get to the wall of the reset. when gripping the slide take your weak hand and hold it over the top of the slide to grip it and rack it. as fast as you can. In time you will condition your finger to stop right at the reset and rest against the wall. I do it sitting in a chair rack and reset over and over. I hope I explained it well enough?

This is for faster follow up shots, cause the trigger is already prepped and to help with not jerking it? I guess. But are you dropping the slide on an empty chamber? That's not good on the gun. It will let you know if you have trigger follow too. Lol

Edited by a matt

Thank You ALL, for your help; .Seeing the sight lining up close enough over each target where the shot can be called. but before that information can move to the trigger finger sights have moved. Realign the sights costing time. Looking to improve the trigger finger speed, or reaction time.

Since you can't or should I say, shouldn't, pull the trigger until your sights tell you to, why do you think you have a trigger finger speed problem? I would suspect your actual issue is not being able to get the sights on target quick enough and have an adequate sight picture to execute a second or even initial shot.

Try this at your next range session. Point the gun at the berm (no target) and on the start signal shoot 6 shots as fast as you can and look at your splits. If they are anywhere around .25 secs or better your trigger finger speed ain't your issue. Drills focused on high speed grip control and sight management will increase your shooting speed

You know i rarely have conscious thought "fire". Im just a nobody but if your finger is waiting for that thot, there is the problem. You need to build confidence that you can shoot when things are right. Close targets with controlled doubles or triples. Build speed & confidence while maintaining accuracy.

If you're thinking of sight picture, and thinking of trigger squeeze, that's the problem. The conscious mind is slow, and can only do one thing at a time at any given instant. What you need to learn to do is let go. To run your gun the way you drive your car, or how you walk down the road. You don't think about moving your knees and ankles as you walk, you don't think about turning the wheel or pressing the clutch when you drive. If you're thinking about your gun, you need to learn to stop and let the subconscious take over.

One thing that can help with this is to make a point of staying loose, and shooting while listening to your favorite music in the background with earbuds. Nothing fancy, single target at 7 yards is fine. Every time you reaload, turn up the volume a small amount, and pay a little more attention to the music and a little less to your shooting than the last string. By the end of your session you should be singing along and dancing around absorbed in the music, and just shooting your gun in the background, the same way you drive your car.

This is a great exercise to help with the psychological aspect of letting go, and allowing the subconscious mind to take control of the act of shooting. It may take a little time, but you should expect that you'll find that you shoot faster and more accurately when your not thinking about your gun, but instead rocking out to pink Floyd or whatever you're listening to. You don't actually need music to do this, but it's a great tool to use since it's really easy to become fully absorbed in listening to your favorite music.

Give this a try. You might be bumping into a physical limitation that you need to train through, or it could be psychological. People tend to overlook the psychological, which is often times the actual root if the problem.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by Jshuberg

So have you gone to the range and tried shooting 6 shots into the berm and looked at your timer? What ar your actual split times? You don't want to spend train time on the wrong problem ....

If your splits are in fact slow then you might try metronome training ...

What do you mean not getting to the trigger fast enough? I don't understand exactly what the issue is.

What he said.

To the OP, can you describe what you are doing/experiencing that makes you think there's a problem? Like "I can easily draw and see the sights on target in .9 seconds, but I can't actually shoot before 1.5 seconds", or something specific like that?

fwiw (may not be anything like what you are experiencing), I find that bad dry-fire habits are easy to make. I sometimes find myself flinging the gun out there to get the sights on target before the beep, but live fire confirms that I'm not really seeing them well at that point, and I have to wait before I can really shoot an A. One thing that seems to help is slowing down the last fraction of the push-out so i can start seeing the sights before they get on target, and start pulling the trigger as early as possible. Dunno if that made any sense even if it is applicable.

From the draw, or transition practice. The trigger finger doesn't always move fast enough. with what the eyes see every time. Seeing a good enough sight picture over the target but a delayed action and now need to reestablish sight picture before triggering. Looking to improve this with some type of Reaction drills, or tools that may be out there to speed up these motor skills that can be added to dry fire seasons is what I've been asking for

Guess there no such tools, or drills out there,

I think EVERY drill is all about shooting faster based on what you see.

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'having to reesablish' your sight picture. Why did it get un-established?

How long does it take you draw and fire 2 A's on a target at 10 yards. What are your splits (all 6 shot times) to draw and fire 2 shots each on 3 targets a yard apart at 10 yards?

Have you tried prepping the trigger before the sights are on target? i.e. on your draw, your strong hand grips the gun, comes together with the support hand at low ready and as you continue extending to the target, the safety comes off and the trigger starts to prep until you hit that resistance wall. Then when your sights line up with the target you apply a few more ounces of pressure to break the shot...

B) THANKS I'll keep practicing.

With constant practice the gun should fire automatically when the sight picture is acceptable to you to hit the target. It should not be a conscious effort. Per your posts above you are executing the sighting and triggering the shot as two separate conscious actions. My take is that eventually they should merge as one action.