Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried the Cajun Gun Works fiber optic sight set?

Nitrider

I've been shooting a CZ SP-01 for the last year and finally swapped out the stock meprolight sights for a set of Cajun Gun Works fiber optic sights.

While the sights are nicely made [the front sight is made by Dawson Precision, the rear by Cajun], I'm having some troubles adjusting to the new sight picture. The rear sight notch is .125 wide by .150 deep. When shooting quickly, I seem to lose track of how deep my front sight is sitting in the rear notch and have to slow down to ensure that the top of my front blade is level with the top of the rear sight.

Should I tough it out and try to adapt to the new sights or is replacement necessary because the extra deep rear sight is making things difficult?

For what it's worth, I'm posting this in the CZ forum because of the limited amount of sight options that CZs have. If the answer is changing the rear sight, I hope someone might be able to recommend a replacement.

Thanks,

-Ian

post-56205-0-84057600-1413778326_thumb.j

hi ya, without going to open the safe and check I believe that I do. they work fine. however my latest purchase I put truglo combo sights on from Brownell's

I get good competition sights as well as night vision. since this latest one is a G21 I kept it stock for GSSF matches. The CZ is single action with a light trigger so it doesn't really matter. But yes Cajun has good stuff.

I'm going through the same issue with a new toy with similar sights. If I'm taking my time I can hit anything I want, if I try to make time on my plate rack I start shooting under the plates about halfway through. I'm gonna just keep practicing getting a good return to sight picture, I've acclimated to plenty of other guns that weren't immediately conducive to being awesome, I'm sure I can do the same with this one.

if I try to make time on my plate rack I start shooting under the plates about halfway through.

Probably losing focus on the top of the sight and trying to line up the bottom of the front with the bottom of the rear.

Edited by elguapo

If you are shooting USPSA or IDPA it should not make that much of a difference. What I mean is do a test, at 7yrds put a 1" dot in the middle of the A zone

1. shoot 1 shot at the dot in the A zone.

2. shoot 1 shot at the dot in the A zone but this time put the top of the front sight at the bottom of the notch.

3. shoot 1 shot at the dot in the A zone, this time put the front sight all the way to the right in the notch (all light on one side).

4. do #3 over but with the sight blade to the left.

What you should find is that all shots are in the A zone even though your sight were not perfect. Up close you only have to do front sight focus(this is fast), with the rear sight close. After you get out past about 12 yards, you need to focus more on sight alignment

(this is slower).

The CZ custom sight is not as deep and had finer serrations.

I prefer the deep rear notch but dislike the large serrations on the Cajun gun works rear sight, I find them distracting since they stand out too much and draw my attention to the rear sight.

jc2357, Max It, and P.E. Kelley- Three votes for Good To Go. Thanks!

TonytheTiger- I feeling like we're on the same page. Especially after hearing so many people approve of the Cajun Gun Works sights. I'm kind of relieved that I'm the weak link. Thus far, everything CGW that I've touched has been EXCELLENT. I cannot recommend their products enough!!!

elguapo and CZ85Combat- I think you're on to something. When shooting slowly I'm properly aligning the sights, but when shooting more quickly I may be dropping the center dot as low as the rear notch will allow. Thus throwing shots a few inches low. For what it's worth, when shooting standard IDPA or IPSC cardboard at 7 yards I have no major issues. However, our defensive pistol stages place most targets at 12-20 yards and very often with "hardcover" obscuring the A zone. I don't know how many shots I dropped by hitting only an inch into the "hardcover". It was painful, to say the least.

twowheels- Although I am going to try to work through the "software issue", the CZC rear sight will be my back up just in case I can't get the CGW sight to work for me. I wonder if the CZC can be dropped in and retain my current point of impact or if a new front sight is in order as well?

jc2357, Max It, and P.E. Kelley- Three votes for Good To Go. Thanks!

TonytheTiger- I feeling like we're on the same page. Especially after hearing so many people approve of the Cajun Gun Works sights. I'm kind of relieved that I'm the weak link. Thus far, everything CGW that I've touched has been EXCELLENT. I cannot recommend their products enough!!!

elguapo and CZ85Combat- I think you're on to something. When shooting slowly I'm properly aligning the sights, but when shooting more quickly I may be dropping the center dot as low as the rear notch will allow. Thus throwing shots a few inches low. For what it's worth, when shooting standard IDPA or IPSC cardboard at 7 yards I have no major issues. However, our defensive pistol stages place most targets at 12-20 yards and very often with "hardcover" obscuring the A zone. I don't know how many shots I dropped by hitting only an inch into the "hardcover". It was painful, to say the least.

twowheels- Although I am going to try to work through the "software issue", the CZC rear sight will be my back up just in case I can't get the CGW sight to work for me. I wonder if the CZC can be dropped in and retain my current point of impact or if a new front sight is in order as well?

I recently switch to the CGW front sight on my Shadow with a CZC competition rear. I have not had any issues. My Point of Impact went from POA/POI to CSP with the change. I ended up preferring the CSP over POA/POI.