Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movies So Bad, They're Fun

My candidate for "so bad it is fun to watch and throw popcorn at" is Battlefield Earth. To see the leads stomping around covered in latex appliques, earnestly grunting in Cylonese (or whatever) is a scream.

The second would be the re-make of Point of No Return, with whats-her-name Fonda. Bridgit? If I hadn't already seen the French verion, I'd have thought it was OK. But having seen Anne Parrilaud, all I could do was hoot at the Hollywood version.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But ... but .. Battlefield earth is so much worse because it seems like every bad decission in making that movie was intentional and made by people who should know better.

My additions to the list are:

Resident Evil 2

Empire of the Ants

Battlefield Earth

Starship Troopers

Day after Tomorow

Face/Off

Vlad

OMG that Segal cover is so wrong. Nevermind the gun, look at the size of his head compared with his hands .. are those even his hands?

He looks like a Segal Mini-me.

Vlad

LOL, a Seagal Mini-me....Now there's a picture that won't leave me today :lol:

No...... those aren't Seagal's hands........ I think. Oh, and I saw that movie and the damn flying car that's on the cover doesn't appear on film. Oh God..... The memories of the bullet vs arrow scene are coming back!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!!!

What's a shame is that some of the first Seagal movies I liked (above the law, marked for death, hard to kill); but since that awful "environmental" movie (the one with Kris Kristofferson in it, not the one about the oil platforms) his movies went far far far down the drain.

The last 5 or 6 ones produce a strange mix of disbelief coupled with laughter, but at the same time sadness and denial. You can certainly tell this is powerful cinema. :lol:

I mean..... for God's sake, in "Out of reach" he uses a voice double... Not only a fighting double, a stunt double, and a driving double.... but a VOICE DOUBLE!!!!

And the dialogs and plotline....... aaaaaagggghhhh I think I'll go have a seizure now.

yes Seagal's movies have gone South. I counted 42 shots from a single stack before the reload.

Also, Battlefield Eartch was a Heinlien book I think, and I think he was the founder of scientology and therefore some of the Hollywood "types" like John Rivolting wanted to pay homage by making that POS.

For bad but fun movies, how about Hudson Hawk?

Steven Segal has to have set the record for fastest time from "Hot newcomer to bloated toad." His problems came when he made so much money in his movies that he thought he knew how to make his movies. When he went from star to producer, writer, director, he went spinning off into the stupidsphere. You can now use his (direct to video discount bins) movies as examples in cinema class: incomprehensible compilations of movie cliches, idiotic claptrap and hammy and "indicating" acting. It doesn't help that he got fat, and now they have to edit his "action" sequences like mad to hide the fact that he moves like a beached whale after a three-day drinking binge.

But we save our harshest venom for those who promise and fail.

Also, Battlefield Eartch was a Heinlien book I think, and I think he was the founder of scientology and therefore some of the Hollywood "types" like John Rivolting wanted to pay homage by making that POS.

Whoa there! You mean L. Ron Hubbard not Heinlein. You put Heinlein in the same bag with the scientalogists people are going to come after you with torches and pitchforks. And I'll be one of them ....

Vlad

My vote goes to: 2 Fast 2 Furious

That and Torque ... Which was extra evil because for some reason I couldnt stop watching despite a lack of any value what so ever. ...

Well it did have a very funny line. The protagonist walks away saying "I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time" and his girlfriend says "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard" which was a pretty cool because I hate that line in The Fast and the Furious.

Vlad

Starship Troopers was written by Heinlein. Great book ruined by a movie and the sequel was worse.

Battlefield Earth was wriiten by L Ron Hubbard. An semi-decent book that was made into a pitiful movie. The problem with making it into a movie is the book is a good 3 inches thick. This was written early in Hubbard's career and is a decent SciFi novel. Its two sequels are a downhill slide. His second try at SciFi Writer stardom is a decology (sp!) thats 10 books. And it was a rapid downhill slide.

2 Fast 2 Furious ... poor movie, but its been a great commercial for the automotive and aftermarket industry!

Torque..... how can you not like a movie starring a bike with a RollsRoyce Jet Helicopter motor?

My vote for the worse movie that was so bad it was funny ....Remo Williams:The Adventure Begins!

Whoa there! You mean L. Ron Hubbard not Heinlein. You put Heinlein in the same bag with the scientalogists people are going to come after you with torches and pitchforks. And I'll be one of them ....

Vlad

ooops, you're right, but you get the point. Same as the Remo books, they became bad movies.

Actually, I don't think Seagal's multiple involvements in his own films are the biggest problem. He co-wrote and co-produced starting with "Above the Law." He had a lot more creative involvement in the early days than he does now.

I think the problems started when he wanted to do things his way (like the evironmental stuff) when Warner Bros. (with whom he had a multi-film contract) wanted him to keep doing the more commercially successful stuff like the first few movies.

The crap he makes now looks like he shows up, stands in front of the camera, and takes his paycheck from the foreign movie producers who are still willing to pay him. He's obviously not interested in making anything as entertaining or with as much technical accuracy as the first few movies through "Under Siege."

I think he could resurrect his career if he were willing to play bad guy roles.

If it makes anyone feel better, many people believe scientology was the result of a wager between hubbard and heinlein.

REmo williams is definitely good cheese. The fight scene on the statue of liberty was great though even ina non B way. Nice stuntwork you just don't see much of anymore.

Total cheese that for some reason amuses me:

Streets of Fire.

trying to mix 80s pop with film noir and a sledge hammer fight between michael pare' and willem dafoe. Not to mention a mostly happy ending at the hands of an armed citizenry. What's not to like? (oh yeah, and you actually get to see the face of the woman who actually did the dancing in flashdance just for trivia's sake)

Independence Day. Hey, let's attack these city-sized spacecraft with Sidewinders instead of Mavericks. And hack into their network. And... well, it's just laughable.

Well, I liked the fact that hostile aliens use computers that are compatible with Macs. Somehow it's just ... right.

:lol:

Independence Day. Hey, let's attack these city-sized spacecraft with Sidewinders instead of Mavericks. And hack into their network. And... well, it's just laughable.

Well, I liked the fact that hostile aliens use computers that are compatible with Macs. Somehow it's just ... right.

:lol:

Why yes, Rhino, Mac's are compatable with our technology. That's why we like them so much. ;)