Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for Dillon Rep, 1050 primer upgrade status?

• 1 month later...

We are testing a shaped wire spring to replace the white plastic wedge at the priming station on the 1050 machine. This will allow improved vision o the primer feeding, and allow removal of the case without loss of adjustment of the part.

It is still being beta-tested, probable release date in early 2015.

We are testing a shaped wire spring to replace the white plastic wedge at the priming station on the 1050 machine. This will allow improved vision o the primer feeding, and allow removal of the case without loss of adjustment of the part.

Cool!

Will it fit in our existing S1050 presses?

Need beta testers ;)

~g

Speaking of the primer station #3

something I notice when loading 223, if for what ever reason sometimes when loading I find the case might deflect a little and seat the primer on a odd angle.

How hard would it be to make a insert that would fit into the tool head that prevents that deflection.

- My initial thoughts would be a plastic injection moulded insert that has an outside diameter to snuggly fit into the tool head.

- if it had a lip you could place it there from the under side with some sort of clip on the top that locks it in so it doesn't fall down?

Its Internal diameter would need to for some movement for the calibre (just less than factory)

Just a thought

Speaking of the primer station #3

something I notice when loading 223, if for what ever reason sometimes when loading I find the case might deflect a little and seat the primer on a odd angle.

I doubt the brass rocking around is the cause of your primer seating problems. With 223 it's almost always because it's crimped brass not swaged enough. You have to swage really hard in order to seat CCI primers reliably.

• 6 months later...

I removed the white positioner altogether on both of my machines to visually see the primer as I advance the handle. I'm loading 9mm and .38 spc and it works perfectly. I'm not running it fast, 1 round every 5 seconds. Good LED lighting is also helpful.

A little blue birdy turned me onto this...

in the spare parts kit for a 550, there is a part called a Cartridge Spring, #13926. it looks like a paper clip, and it is the top left item in the picture of the 550 parts kit. order a couple.

When they arrive;

On the 1050, remove the white plastic piece from the primer seating station that holds the case in place, and with the long end sticking outward toward the right, fasten the clip down with the screw with a case in the station with the normal amount of play. With a strong wire cutter, cut off any excess of the spring clip so the handle doesn't hit it during cycling.

now you can see the primers in the primer slide...

jj

Based on feedback from the folks testing this, we are going to test a slightly thicker wire, and change the bend slightly. Then more testing. Nothing happens as fast as wanted sometimes, but we won't release it until it is right.

after reading this blog, I went home and installed a large paper clip. clipped the end facing out towards the operating handle. done. holds the case and I can see clearly the primer slide bar going back and forth. been working fine, ever since.