Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC World Shoot - How to qualify?

JPG

The process for this years match was voted on in Dec 2011. Your best 3 of 4 performances from the 2012/2013 USPSA Nats and 2012/2013 IPSC Nats. Top three shooters are automatically on the team. The fourth slot is picked by the Team Manager/DNROI. no guarantees that's how it'll be for 2017 in France though. My guess is the BOD will vote on it at their next BOD meeting.

The process for this years match was voted on in Dec 2011. Your best 3 of 4 performances from the 2012/2013 USPSA Nats and 2012/2013 IPSC Nats. Top three shooters are automatically on the team. The fourth slot is picked by the Team Manager/DNROI. no guarantees that's how it'll be for 2017 in France though. My guess is the BOD will vote on it at their next BOD meeting.

Then how are there 26 male adult USA Open shooters (not juniors, senior or super senior)?

Then how are there 26 male adult USA Open shooters (not juniors, senior or super senior)?

They are not on the team. There are a bunch of people shooting as individuals that got in on whatever slots were left after the teams were filled.

Why doe's the DNROI get to pick the 4th? Anyone know the thinking or is it the same person as Team Manager?

No idea why, I'd guess that's what the board decided when they came up with the selection process. DNROI is the team manager though.

They got slots to shoot the match, but are not on the national team. I want to know how those people got their slots, because the national team is out of reach (for now, ha!)

Why doe's the DNROI get to pick the 4th? Anyone know the thinking or is it the same person as Team Manager?

No idea why, I'd guess that's what the board decided when they came up with the selection process. DNROI is the team manager though.

You want to allow for contingencies, right? So if you had a top shooter come down with appendicitis and miss one of the qualifying matches, this would give you the ability to add that person to the team....

Because part of the goal is to field a winning team, not just a team of people who can perfectly comply with the qualification process.....

In canada they ranked the top shooters in each division based on their performance at the last 3 nationals and sent out invites to the top 20. From their if someone based up their slot then 21 got a call ect.

However this usually isnt an issue because when the worlds is somewhere other than north america rarely are all our slots filled. So for the next one if you want to go then you probably can. I assume it is similar for USA

Nik my question was not a bout the 4th shooter as I know the teams are comprised of 4 with a throw away score but why the DNROI (Team manager) has the pick, and if it was the same person. That seems to be the answer so that tells me why DNROI has a pick and not a selection committee that picks every team member.

They got slots to shoot the match, but are not on the national team. I want to know how those people got their slots, because the national team is out of reach (for now, ha!)

In theory individual US slots were awarded according to the same Team slot formula (it's right there in the document), except you could mix-n-match match divisions for your best point total. AFAIK, some were allocated this way (there were not a lot of leftover slots after the teams and the USPSA Presidents' 10 got through with them from the first batch of slots however)

Although according to the policy, the second batch of slots should have been given away the same way, actually it seems they were given away randomly from the pool of people that asked for one.

In theory individual US slots were awarded according to the same Team slot formula (it's right there in the document), except you could mix-n-match match divisions for your best point total. AFAIK, some were allocated this way (there were not a lot of leftover slots after the teams and the USPSA Presidents' 10 got through with them from the first batch of slots however)

Although according to the policy, the second batch of slots should have been given away the same way, actually it seems they were given away randomly from the pool of people that asked for one.

Supposedly it was a combination of both. About half were distributed according to what the BOD voted on. The other half were random. And there were some additional slots that the President can give out at his discretion. This only refers to the slots available after teams were formed.

• 1 month later...

The USA region was given 75 WS slots as I recall, in addition to the USPSA Teams, then there were slots awarded to first come first come from the USA RD/President. Another way to get to shoot at WS is to either work as an RO or as a Sponsor and you can shoot the Pre-match which is included in the overall WS results...