Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting an 870 together for 3gun

NateTSU

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a 4" grinder with a sanding disk, flat file, small curved file, 320 and 800 sand paper, cold blue, and yes...a dremel for rounding out the sharp edges inside the loading area. Be cautious because it is easy to go to far and cut the inner ring that help the shell catch hold the rounds inside the tube. The reason for cutting this loading area the way I did is to assist with the load 2 or load 4 method. Ever so slightly - carefully - you may need to slightly bend the outer 1/4" of the lift gate to facilitate shell loading into the tube. Also, your 870 will work in 3g. Mr. Piatt routinely wins with his.

Visit with Pat before you start cutting. There is something coming down the road about opening up ports on shotguns in the 3 Gun Nation world. He has the inside skinny on it.

870b_zpsa570f3a6.jpg

How does it compare to loading a Nova? That looks sweet.

The Nova is easier however with that said what it comes down to is company favoritism and the question should be: are you a fan of Remington, Benelli, or one of the other pump manufacturers. I've been a fan of the 870 since my childhood and wished that I would have kept my first one. When this SG came off of a prize table and into my hands a few years ago at the Fallen Brethren match I knew that it was a keeper and was determined to make it work. With a tube extension from NC and the purchase of a longer barrel (18.5" seemed a little short) I feel like I have a pretty good chance of being competitive.

If you are interested in having a Nova modified and ready for race there are a few guys out there that are dialed into what mods need to be done. Trapr is one of them. He doesn't have an FFL so don't ask however he has been known to have the patience to put a file to work in the right places that would be considered topnotch.

Edited by Sterling White

Does modifying the port help with pinched thumbs? I am going to give 3 gun a try this year and have set up a Remington 1100 with the same intent. Start with what I have and go from there after gaining some experience. I find that I am always pinching my thumb between the edge of the frame and the carrier when practicing loading doubles.

Here's my 870 loading port.

No, its not rusty - don't know why it looks like that in the pics

No, it doesn't pinch my thumb

No, the rounds don't fall out the side

No, its not as quick to reload as my Supernova - but there is not much difference and I do prefer shooting my 870.

IMG_1785_zps49199d0f.jpg

IMG_1784_zps084bd7e8.jpg

IMG_1783_zps6ce332e3.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi SteveA. I am new to this forum and i saw the modifications you did on your Remington 870. My question is how far can you go forward? I am worried the follower will fall off if i get too far. Can you please tell me what holds on to the follower? On your picture, it looks like you also filed some portion of thre magazine tube. Help please..... Thanks very much!

loading port.jpg

Holy thread resurrection, Batman !!!!!

I wouldn't go much further forward than that at all, you do meet a point of diminishing returns - more isn't always better 😀

There is a 'step' on the inside of the receiver that retains the follower. Grind too much of that out & your receiver has just become a paperweight.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, 870express said:

Hi SteveA. I am new to this forum and i saw the modifications you did on your Remington 870. My question is how far can you go forward? I am worried the follower will fall off if i get too far. Can you please tell me what holds on to the follower? On your picture, it looks like you also filed some portion of thre magazine tube. Help please..... Thanks very much!

loading port.jpg

You might want to quote him so gets a notification and will see your question 

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

I wouldn't go much further forward than that at all, you do meet a point of diminishing returns - more isn't always better 😀

There is a 'step' on the inside of the receiver that retains the follower. Grind too much of that out & your receiver has just become a paperweight.

Thank you very much for the info SteveA and I apologize if it is a resurrected topic. This is my first 870 and not very familiar. I did some research can't find the answer to my questions and I know you guys are the experts on this,  just like you said I dont want it to be a paperweight 🙂.    Now I can start working on mine 🙂 thanks to all 🙂

On 2/28/2019 at 4:51 AM, SteveA said:

Hi SteveA,

Im back and like to show you what i did on my 870 (4 pictures below with orange follower).  I am very close to the step or ridge inside the receiver that stop the follower from falling out. I compared mine to your loading port (picture with red follower) and it looks like your folower is more out than mine, did you shave/filed some of the "step/ridge" inside the receiver?  Thanks very much! Need comments/suggestions from everybody please. Thanks again!

870a.jpg

870b.jpg

870c.jpg

870d.jpg

loading port.jpg

Edited by 870express

On 2/28/2019 at 4:51 AM, SteveA said:

Hi SteveA,

Found this 870 loading port on the web when Im searching for " Remington 870 loading port modifications" and it looks like it is well extended, any thoughts? 870 people your thoughts please...  Thanks

remington 870.jpg

10 hours ago, 870express said:

Hi SteveA,

Found this 870 loading port on the web when Im searching for " Remington 870 loading port modifications" and it looks like it is well extended, any thoughts? 870 people your thoughts please...  Thanks

remington 870.jpg

My honest advice to you is go shoot your 870 & form your own opinion.

Your technique will be different from mine as we are different people. What works for you, may well not work for me and vice versa.

Good luck amigo!

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

My honest advice to you is go shoot your 870 & form your own opinion.

Your technique will be different from mine as we are different people. What works for you, may well not work for me and vice versa.

Good luck amigo!

Hi SteveA/Amigo,

Thank you very much for your honest advise! I Am just starting to be a shooter so I am very aware that your techniques will be a wayyyyy different from mine! I have miles and miles to go re:training/technique, can't compare mine to you, thats is also the reason why I never ask info about that topic (training/techniques). I am just trying to make my learning curve a little bit easier by working first on my equipment (my 870 express). If I eliminate the problems that may arise on my loading then all i need to work on is the "techniques" your telling me.

I listened to you when you said :

"I wouldn't go much further forward than that at all, you do meet a point of diminishing returns - more isn't always better 😀

There is a 'step' on the inside of the receiver that retains the follower. Grind too much of that out & your receiver has just become a paperweight."

That is why i want to show you my finiished project and compared it to your "loading port" that looks like your follower is more out than mine. And I ask the question "did you shave/filed some of the "step/ridge" inside the receiver?". Because like i said if it will make my loading easier then it will help a lot!

Thank you very much again to all  that contribute to my inquiries!

870d.jpg

loading port.jpg

20 hours ago, 870express said:

Hi SteveA/Amigo,

Thank you very much for your honest advise! I Am just starting to be a shooter so I am very aware that your techniques will be a wayyyyy different from mine! I have miles and miles to go re:training/technique, can't compare mine to you, thats is also the reason why I never ask info about that topic (training/techniques). I am just trying to make my learning curve a little bit easier by working first on my equipment (my 870 express). If I eliminate the problems that may arise on my loading then all i need to work on is the "techniques" your telling me.

I listened to you when you said :

"I wouldn't go much further forward than that at all, you do meet a point of diminishing returns - more isn't always better 😀

There is a 'step' on the inside of the receiver that retains the follower. Grind too much of that out & your receiver has just become a paperweight."

That is why i want to show you my finiished project and compared it to your "loading port" that looks like your follower is more out than mine. And I ask the question "did you shave/filed some of the "step/ridge" inside the receiver?". Because like i said if it will make my loading easier then it will help a lot!

Thank you very much again to all  that contribute to my inquiries!

870d.jpg

loading port.jpg

You wont have any issues as it is. Put the dremel down and get to practicing !!😃